cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atrocious SSD Performance in AHCI & RAID0

OneZero8
Level 7
Hi,

I recently built what should be a lightning fast box, and I'm getting horrible, essentially SATAII speeds out of my SSDs.

Here's a system component overview:

Motherboard: Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD FX-4170 (OC'd @ 4.64GHz)
RAM: 4GB (2GBx2) Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M2A2000C10 (OC'd @ 2.00KHz)
Storage: 2 Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD (in RAID 0 using mobo controller - 2 partitons @ aprox 120GB/ea - Win7 on one and WinXP on the other) and 1 Corsair Force 3 90GB SSD (connected via USB 3.0)
OS Environment: Windows XP SP3 32bit & Windows 7 32bit

I recently upgraded the HDD in an older Dell computer with a 2.5GHz 4 core CPU running Windows 7 to a Corsair Force 3 90GB SSD. I connected the SSD to the a SATA 2 port on the motherboard and did a complete battery of benchmarks on the SSD, saving screenshots of each test. I mention this because...

After I built the box outlined above, I noticed that the boot time was really slow... about the same as the Dell I just mentioned after the SSD upgrade. But I'm running a RAID0 array on a native onboard SATA 3 interface, which should be much, much faster than that! So I did the same battery of benchmarks on the new Crosshair V box and found out that every SSD on my new box is slow. My single SSD connected via USB 3.0 is in some cases slower than the identical SSD on the Dell's SATA 2 interface... and my SATAIII RAID0 array is just a tiny bit faster than the SSD on the Dell.

I have scoured the internet and this forum for some kind of indicator as to why my box is so god-awfuly slow, and I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue as me. I would very much appreciate it if someone could help me troubleshoot this issue.

Here's some screenshots of the benchmarks:

AS SSD Benchmarks:

Corsair Force 3 90GB on Dell SATA 2 Interface (Win7):

Corsair Force 3 90GB on Crosshair V USB 3.0 Interface (Win7):

Corsair Force 3 90GB on Crosshair V USB 3.0 Interface (WinXP):

Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 Striped RAID0 Array on Crosshair V SATA 3 Interface (Win7):

Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 Striped RAID0 Array on Crosshair V SATA 3 Interface (WinXP):

HDTune5.0 Benchmarks:

Corsair Force 3 90GB on Dell SATA II Interface (Win7) - Test: "BENCHMARK":

Corsair Force 3 90GB on Crosshair V USB 3.0 Interface (Win7) - Test: "BENCHMARK":

Corsair Force 3 120GBx2 Striped RAID0 Array on Crosshair V SATA 3 Interface (Win7) - Test: "BENCHMARK":
14 REPLIES 14

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ok, first things first. You need to update the firmware on your SSD's. Corsair's SSD's are at 5.0.2 firmware. Also, what BIOS revision are you using? if you want the max performance out of your RAID 0 drives...you're gonna need BIOS 1503 to enable cache read to boost the performance...and hopefully it will enable better TRIM support of your RAID also if you just keep to the standard ACHIX86 drivers.

Thanks for the help.

All SSDs have the 5.0.2 firmware:

The Crosshair has the 1503 BIOS.

I have run benchmarks with all possible combinations of cache and NCQ settings available in the RAIDXpert interface, as well as the Windows cache settings in the SSD properties dialogs in Explorer. The best results come with the following settings:

Windows OS: "Enable Write Chaching On Disk" Parameter - No difference whether enabled or disabled

RAIDXpert:
Physical Drive Parameters/Settings: Write Cache Enabled & NCQ Enabled
Logical Drive Information/Settings/Read Cache Status: No Cache - & - Write Cache Status: Write Through

Thanks...

stock12to32
Level 10
Here are some facts that may or may not help you.
SSD's in a RAID0 is not necessarily a good thing. The only real benefit you get from raiding SSD's in RAID0 is you double the available space of the drive but with you separating your RAID into 2 partitions you are defeating this benefit. TRIM is Disabled in a RAID0 and hurts the drive more then it benefits from it due to the many times it is accessing your drives. The only place you will see increased speeds of the RAIDed drives is in a bench test. In the real world you do not get any advantage with putting your OS on SSD's in a RAID0.

Here is a very useful link you should read through

http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread#user_BenchmarksbyOCNmem...

There are some intel SSD's just realesed that support TRIM while in a RAID.
I am running OS on a RAID0 for the double space but like I said before, not the best idea.
3dMark11: P13350
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6105510

System:
ASUS Crosshair V Formila BIOS 1703
AMD FX 8350 @ 25x 200 = 5Ghz (water cooled)
16Gb Patriot Vipper Xtreme DDR3 2133Mhz
x3 ATI HD6970 trifire @ 920Mhz GPU and 1400Mhz Memory
x2 128Gb Samsung 830 Series SSD RAID-0
128Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
x2 1Tb 7200RPM Hardrives RAID-0
LEPA 1600W PSU
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow
x3 27" ASUS LED LCD (eyfinity)
LG Blue-Ray
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Windows 8 64 bit

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind for future operations.

As for the issue at hand, each of my SSDs appear to be performing at about 1/3 or less of their potential, regardless of whether they are being accessed singly as logical drives or in a RAID array.

Here is a CrystalDiskMark benchmark from another user with 2 120GB Force GT SSDs in RAID0:

And here is a CrystalDiskMark benchmark of my 2 120GB Force 3 SSDs in RAID0:

Is there nobody out there who can please help me troubleshoot my issue?

HiVizMan
Level 40
What is the amount of free space on your RAID 0 array?

It looks like your system is nearly full.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi,
Have you tried using the Windows AHCI driver on Windows 7?

I know that it sounds very weird, but I'm getting best results with this one on my Vertex 4 256Gb (not using raid).

ZeroDotNet wrote:
Hi,
Have you tried using the Windows AHCI driver on Windows 7?

I know that it sounds very weird, but I'm getting best results with this one on my Vertex 4 256Gb (not using raid).

I have not. I am, however, far more interested in Windows XP performance than Win 7... but the SSDs are running at pretty smuch the same speed in both OSes.

Thanks.

HiVizMan wrote:
What is the amount of free space on your RAID 0 array?

It looks like your system is nearly full.

It is at present, but it is the same no matter how much system drive space is used. If anything, they perform faster with less space, as that is when this particular model SSD performs at it's peak potential.

Thanks.