cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X99 Deluxe/U3.1 - Unable to upgrade due to disknumbering (BIOS-issue)

asw62
Level 7
Am facing a major problem - I can not upgrade Windows... due to disk-numbering

Asus X99-DELUXE/3.1 BIOS 3505 UEFI (Jan.13, 2017) LGA2011-3

SATA ports:
nbr 01: Samsung 850 Pro SSD (with Windows)
nbr 02: Samsung 850 Pro SSD
nbr 03: WD HDD
..etc..all ports ports used by HDD's
nbr 07: Asus DVD (BC-12D2HT)

then
nbr 08: nothing connected
nbr 09: Samsung HDD (HD204UI), SATA, I had a free disk left somewhere an connected it later
nbr 10: nothing connected

Now, the issue:
Windows 10 diskmanagement puts SATA port nbr 9 (Samsung) as 'DISK 0' and SATA port nbr 1 as 'DISK 1'

Because of this, upgrading Windows 10 is NOT possible!
Even not after formatting the Samsung drive...

So, with this configuration, installing Windows 10 (from USB installer) on a formatted drive is -not- possible.

After many, I many, attempts (it took about 10 days) I finally figured out that Windows -requires- to be installed on 'DISK 0',
that is to say, DISK 0 in Windows diskmanagement. I wasn't aware of that.

In BIOS I therefore disabled SATA port 9.
In Windows diskmanagment the Samsung drive became DISK 0, as per 'Windows requirement'.
But even then installing the upgrade still failed . . .

Only -after- formatting the Samsung drive, I could install Windows 10.

I am sure that this has something to do with DISK 01 and DISK 1 assignment.
After upgrading and re-enabling SATA port 9, within Windows diskmanagement Windows shifted to DISK 1 again.
Probably all internal references within Windows are related to DISK 1.

Therefore the next upgrade again was not possible.
Even after disabling port 9 and after disk 1 shifted to disk 0, probably Windows still assumes it is on DISK 1,
This lead to upgrade failures.

Only a clean install solves this (Windows does not anymore assume it is on DISK1)

Each upgrade should therefore be a clean install!

THE big question: HOW to have SATA port 9 assigned to any other DISK-nbr than DISK 0.
e.g. DISK 5, 6 or whatever, but not DISK 0.

It seems that Windows disk-numbering may differ from the BIOS numbering, i.e. there is no relationship.

FWIW: Windows Device Manager -> Storage controllers, it says: ""Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller"

Thanks!

Later ... image added

Thanks!73932
1 REPLY 1

davemon50
Level 11
Doesn't sound like you've tried it with all other drives Unplugged. Should always install Windows with no other drives available or plugged in. If there's only 1 drive it will be Disk 0. It doesn't matter if it's Disk 0 after Windows is installed, you choose the boot option in the BIOS.
Davemon50