cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X99-DELUXE II Motherboard & WD Black series HDD

dimm0k
Level 7
recently put together a new system with the Asus X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 motherboard with a Western Digital Black 5TB HDD as secondary storage to an SSD. issue I'm having is this WD Black drive keeps playing some now you see me now you don't games as it disappears randomly in-between reboots. it hasn't disappeared once I'm in Windows or Linux, however in between reboots the drive seems to not get picked up by the system for whatever reason and stays absent from the system even in the BIOS until I restart again. not sure what the cause is, but the things I've done so far are

switch SATA ports between 1,2,5,6
swapped SATA cables
got a replacement WD Black 6TB HDD
got a replacement Asus X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 motherboard

it's happened across all of these! I have used an older Hitachi 2TB HDD on those same above mentioned SATA ports and it's never happened once on this drive. BIOS is the current one, 1003.
2 REPLIES 2

FuryA
Level 8
hi dimm0k
welecom, ROG Fourm as mentioned that unknown reason Hard Drive randomly disappearing in system
If You I tried switching SATA ports on motherboard, cables or already changed different HDDs
its still happen. You may try using another power supply, or flashing the previous BIOS version , self testing only MB/HDD hope you can solve

SrPhantom
Level 7
I have the same combo here Asus Deluxe II X99 and WD black as second drive and no issues, the drive is connected to the 3rd sata port.
Asus G751JY - i7 4860 - 32GB Ram
Modded with 3 HDD - 512 M2-SSD + 500GB Samsung EVO840 + 1TB 7200RPM
Screen set to 100Hz

Docking with Samsung 28" 4K Monitor + Logitech K290 + Logitech MX Perfomance + Coolermaster U3 Laptop Cooler.

Travelling with Alienware Vindicator backpack