cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus V Formula

Alan
Level 7
Greetings fellow ROG'ers 🙂

I'm glad to be here but I have a couple of quieries that I hope you could help me with. Here is my new build:

Case: Antec 1200 v3
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cpu cooler: Antec 920 Kuhler H2O
RAM: F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (x4 sticks = 16gb)
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6ghz 8 Core
Graphics: Zotac 560 GTX ti oc @ 900mhz (soon to be SLI)
Sound: Soundblaster Fatal1ty Titanium Champion Series & I/O drive

I havent been able to get my ram to run @ 2133 mhz as advertised so I posted in the GSkill forums. They advised
After you set DRAM Frequency DDR3-2133

DRAM Timings tCL 11 - tRCD 11 - tRP 11 - tRAS 30

DRAM Voltage 1.60V

you also need to increase CPU-NB Voltage

Try +0.20V, you may need to work up higher to see what the CPU wants to be stable.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

Any other views to add to that at all please? Will the CPU-Northbridge voltage effect the CPU itself?

Secondly and most importantly... I've realised that I'm not able to get into BIOS. When I boot my p.c I get a blank screen for about 2/3minutes then it loads straight into windows. The front screen isnt displaid at all and surely having a blank screen for that long isnt right? My new p.c is slower than my old one for booting up which tells me there is a severe problem lol.

Any help, tips, tricks etc would be much appreciated. Thanks 😉
Alan

...sorry, I'd forgotten to mention that when I tried to put the ram frequency to 2133mhz it wouldnt POST so I pressed the reset CMOS button on the back of the P.C and that done the job. -- I've tried resetting the CMOS to resolve this problem a good few times now and I still get the same blank screen until win 7 starts
31 REPLIES 31

Alan
Level 7
Here you go my friend

HiVizMan
Level 40
Set your memory to 2133 as per the first screen.

Then once you have done that

F10 and enter

Once into OS look at the CPUz mem tab again
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
And confirm you pressed F10 and enter after selecting the value to save and exit
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that is rated for Sandybridge AKA Intel set up. Does not mean they are going to even work for AMD. But they should be ok.

Product Description

Designed Specifically for 2nd Generation Intel Core Processors

Alan
Level 7
Looks like a big mistake then. I saw other AMD users had bought those exact sticks and I noticed that too. Other people seemed to be fine but I suppose I've just found out the hard way that Its not working for some reason. Nanotechsoldier told me to put my bus timing back to normal but in the guide I'd followed, I'd clicked Extreme Tweaker - DRAM Timing control - Load PSC Chip settings (from the OC'ing guide). Thats what changed the timings in the BIOS. I hadnt manually changed anything except the parts from the guide

HiVizMan
Level 40
No no not a mistake at all.

The ram will clock really well for you, the thing is you need to make it clock. It will not just clock itself.

Please go back and read the article here you do need to have a better understanding of the BIOS I think many of your problems come from not really knowing how your system works all together.

http://rog.asus.com/7112011/guides/asus-crosshair-v-formula-bios-guide-overclocking/

For a detailed explanation and

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3468-Crosshair-V-Formula-Easy-Memory-Setup-Guide

For a more direct approach.

Take your time and experiment with the settings.

Thanks for the reassurance and continued help HiVisMan.

I've started to read the first one. I'm going to email myself the links and have a read tomorrow and so on while I'm at work. I was at the point of giving up completely earlier but I think I'll take it very slowly and try to learn as much as I can along the way.

Also, in the G Skill forums they reccomended that I update my BIOS so I tried to get the 1103 version but it looks like others are experiencing the prob that I just did (Yourself and NanoTechSoldier also commented in it). I'll leave that seperate issue there to save further complication. (Ref: Here )

Best Regards
Al

NanoTechSoldier
Level 7
I Mentioned This Problem In My "Getting The Blue Screen Of Death..?? [BSOD] Thread.. Should Be A Sticky...

Post #21, In This Thread.. I Said That, 1600Mhz Would Be The Case... From Your Post #17 Screenshot...

Read What I Actually Said About RAM Mate... In The Quote You Pasted From Post #19...
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

dragondagoth
Level 7
Greetings, I was actually looking around for something else on google and stumbled across this post regarding Memory Frequency. The BSOD's you're experiencing have nothing to do with your bios or PCI-e slots. The reason you're experiencing such trouble is because memory speeds are dependant on the CPU. I notice in your screen shots that your auto speed is at 3600ghz for your CPU, so I will quickly assume that you have an FX 8150 chip. The FX 8150 CPU will support the memory speed of 1866Mhz on a one dual channel kit, you will never see 2133Mhz with this chip, try 1866Mhz.

Kind regards

-John

dragondagoth wrote:
Greetings, I was actually looking around for something else on google and stumbled across this post regarding Memory Frequency. The BSOD's you're experiencing have nothing to do with your bios or PCI-e slots. The reason you're experiencing such trouble is because memory speeds are dependant on the CPU. I notice in your screen shots that your auto speed is at 3600ghz for your CPU, so I will quickly assume that you have an FX 8150 chip. The FX 8150 CPU will support the memory speed of 1866Mhz on a one dual channel kit, you will never see 2133Mhz with this chip, try 1866Mhz.

Kind regards

-John

Thank you for your post, but please that is plain incorrect. I have clocked memory on the 8150 to 2133MHz and way beyond that frequency many many times.

1733 x 2 = 3466MHz quite a bit over 1866MHz.