cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus V Formula

Alan
Level 7
Greetings fellow ROG'ers 🙂

I'm glad to be here but I have a couple of quieries that I hope you could help me with. Here is my new build:

Case: Antec 1200 v3
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula
Cpu cooler: Antec 920 Kuhler H2O
RAM: F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (x4 sticks = 16gb)
CPU: AMD FX-8150 3.6ghz 8 Core
Graphics: Zotac 560 GTX ti oc @ 900mhz (soon to be SLI)
Sound: Soundblaster Fatal1ty Titanium Champion Series & I/O drive

I havent been able to get my ram to run @ 2133 mhz as advertised so I posted in the GSkill forums. They advised
After you set DRAM Frequency DDR3-2133

DRAM Timings tCL 11 - tRCD 11 - tRP 11 - tRAS 30

DRAM Voltage 1.60V

you also need to increase CPU-NB Voltage

Try +0.20V, you may need to work up higher to see what the CPU wants to be stable.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

Any other views to add to that at all please? Will the CPU-Northbridge voltage effect the CPU itself?

Secondly and most importantly... I've realised that I'm not able to get into BIOS. When I boot my p.c I get a blank screen for about 2/3minutes then it loads straight into windows. The front screen isnt displaid at all and surely having a blank screen for that long isnt right? My new p.c is slower than my old one for booting up which tells me there is a severe problem lol.

Any help, tips, tricks etc would be much appreciated. Thanks 😉
Alan

...sorry, I'd forgotten to mention that when I tried to put the ram frequency to 2133mhz it wouldnt POST so I pressed the reset CMOS button on the back of the P.C and that done the job. -- I've tried resetting the CMOS to resolve this problem a good few times now and I still get the same blank screen until win 7 starts
31 REPLIES 31

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is clear the CMOS.

Once you have done that you will be able to enter the BIOS.

Let us deal with the blank screen first shall we.

Here is a handy little guide I put together for a sister site. TiS
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would do is clear the CMOS.

Once you have done that you will be able to enter the BIOS.

Let us deal with the blank screen first shall we.

Here is a handy little guide I put together for a sister site. TiS

Hi HiVizMan 🙂

Thanks for you very fast response. It was so quick that I hadnt even realised before I done my little edit. Is there another way I can try to clrear the CMOS? When I press the button, the power goes off, then I've tried booting it up again and pressing it again, then letting the p.c boot but its still skipping (or hidding) the initial boot. I'll follow your instructions for the guide in the morning as I'm off to sleep now. Night and thanks mate

What Port Or Adapter, Are You Using On Your Graphics Card..??
If Your Using, DVI - HDMI Or Mini HDMI To HDMI Adapter etc.. You Won't Be Able, To See BIOS Screen On Start-Up... You Need Need To Use DVI - VGA Adapter First & Run To Monitor With VGA Port...
The Sane Thing Happens, To My ASUS Radeon HD6970... I Have To Switch From DisplayPort - HDMI Adapter To DVI - VGA Adapter etc.. To See ROG BIOS Screen... Otherwise, It Just Boots Past BIOS Screen & Straight Into Windows...

Your Going To Need To Check, What The True Frequency Of Your "2133MHz" RAM Is First In BIOS..
Go To "GPU.DIMM Post" Under Extreme Tweaker Tab In BIOS & It Will Say, Something Like;
DIMM Frequency ####MHz & DIMM Running At ####MHz etc... It Could Really Be 1866MHz DDR3 SDRAM...
[2133MHz Is The MAX Frequency Of The RAM & The Borderline Of RAM Being Unstable etc..]
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

HiVizMan wrote:
Set your memory to 2133 as per the first screen.

Then once you have done that

F10 and enter

Once into OS look at the CPUz mem tab again

This is the part I selected in BIOS, on the first screen, for 2133mhz, then a copy of the CPUz screenshot overlayed:

NanoTechSoldier wrote:
What Port Or Adapter, Are You Using On Your Graphics Card..??
If Your Using, DVI - HDMI Or Mini HDMI To HDMI Adapter etc.. You Won't Be Able, To See BIOS Screen On Start-Up... You Need Need To Use DVI - VGA Adapter First & Run To Monitor With VGA Port...
The Sane Thing Happens, To My ASUS Radeon HD6970... I Have To Switch From DisplayPort - HDMI Adapter To DVI - VGA Adapter etc.. To See ROG BIOS Screen... Otherwise, It Just Boots Past BIOS Screen & Straight Into Windows...

I'm using the very top PCI-E 16 slot (Just beneath the ram sticks and processor). I'm using both DVI connections on the graphics card for both of my screens. I've resolved the issue with BIOS loading. It was caused by my sound card being in the bottom PCI-E slot, cheers.

Alan wrote:
This is the part I selected in BIOS, on the first screen, for 2133mhz, then a copy of the CPUz screenshot overlayed:

I'm using the very top PCI-E 16 slot (Just beneath the ram sticks and processor). I'm using both DVI connections on the graphics card for both of my screens. I've resolved the issue with BIOS loading. It was caused by my sound card being in the bottom PCI-E slot, cheers.

What Would Your Sound Card, Have Anything, To Do With It...??? I've Never Heard Of That Happening Before... ???

By The Looks Of One Of Your Posts Above [Post #17]... Your RAM Is Really Running @ 1600MHz... 800MHz x Dual Channel = 1600MHz etc..
Note: Don't Stuff With The RAMs Time Delay Either... Leave Them @ 11-11-11-28 & Bank Cycle Time @ 39 etc.. Leave The Rest On Auto & You Should Be Fine... Otherwise, You WILL Have Boot Problems + The Potential Of Stuffing Your CPU Cycle Algorithms...
| AMD FX-8150 @ 5.192GHZ | Antec Kuhler h20 920 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt |
|16GB GSkill Sniper PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM + 32GB AMD "RADEON Edition" 1866MHz SDRAM |
| CoolerMaster Silent PRO Hybrid 1300W With Fan Controller | ASUS EAH6970 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 |
| Xigmatek Water Cooling Tower With 2.5"/3.5" Sata Dock Built In | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

HiVisMan - Yes I can definatelty confirm that I pressed F10. Before I was saving and resetting but that time I had pressed F10 as you'd asked me to

NanoTechSoldier wrote:
Your Going To Need To Check, What The True Frequency Of Your "2133MHz" RAM Is First In BIOS..
Go To "GPU.DIMM Post" Under Extreme Tweaker Tab In BIOS & It Will Say, Something Like;
DIMM Frequency ####MHz & DIMM Running At ####MHz etc... It Could Really Be 1866MHz DDR3 SDRAM...
[2133MHz Is The MAX Frequency Of The RAM & The Borderline Of RAM Being Unstable etc..]

Sorry I'd forgotten to post the screen of that. As I'd said, I'm very new to this but I am trying to give as much detailed information as possible. Here is a copy of the part you'd requested:

However, the memory says 2133mhz even on the sticker on each slot, on the box it came in and it was advertised as 16gb 2133mhz too mate. Here is the one I purchased:

F3-17000CL11D-16GBXL @ 2133mhz cl11

I bought two sets of these: http://www.ebuyer.com/274061-g-skill-8gb-2x4gb-ddr3-2133mhz-ripjawsx-memory-kit-cl11-11-11-11-30-1-5...

HiVizMan
Level 40
The easiest way of ensuring that you get into your BIOS is simply to remove your CPU and then reseat it. That forces the motherboard into thinking new processor and by default you are directed to select F1 to access the BIOS.

But you are right sleep is indeed the order of the day. 😛
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I've had a thorough look through the guide and I'll definately be using your wisdom to get more out of my build. Thats exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for as I'm new to o.c'ing and I hadnt even considered it in the past. I want to give myself a stable rig so I will probably try to keep the voltages a little lower in general if that would work.

Regarding removing the cpu - I'm a little uneasy with the idea as I was cleaning out my old rig and took off the cpu cooler, which removed the cpu too. Then I think I've broken it whilst trying to get it fitted in correctly. The pins were very bent so I tried to bend them back but I get no POST with the old one. I've ordered a new CPU for it and if that doesnt work then I'll replace the mobo...

I'm a little worried about doing that to the FX8150 CPU that I spent £200 on as I'm not rich tbh. If there's no alternative then I'll certainly try. Sorry to be complicated but is there any possible work-around than removing it please?

Thanks again HiVisMan

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nah all good my friend. You must operate at the level of your current ability and budget. Making mistakes with PC's can cost money.

As to taking the cooler off and unintentionally removing the CPU, that does happen when the CPU has been in system for some time. Again there are tricks and methods to prevent that from happening. You would not be expected to know any of them. So do not be too hard on yourself.

OK moving on.

Please do the following.

• Remove your motheboard from the case.
  • Place the motheboard on top of the box it came in. Very handy work station
  • Locate and remove the battery.
  • The only item that should still be installed is your CPU and I assume the cooler. Nothing else.
  • Press the pwr button to remove all residual current from the system. Should not be any but....
  • Hold the clear CMOS switch for a slow count of 10
  • Leave the motheboard as is overnight.
  • 12 hours later do the following
  • Place one stick of ram in the slot furtherest from the CPU
  • No hard drive connected.
  • VGa connected
  • Keyboard and mouse
  • Now connect the PSU to the 12volt
  • and finally the 24 pin connector.
  • Place the power calbe into the PSU and power the PSU on.
  • Lights come up on the motherboard
  • Press the Power on button
  • Your system will now boot to BIOS.

Do not do anything to your BIOS except look for what BIOS version you are running.

Power down and post back here. We will take the next steps based on your response.

Cheers mate