cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix x570-e PCH temp issues

Net_Qvist
Level 7
3800x, Strix x570-e, Crucial 32GB 3200 CL16, MSI 2080 Ti Gaming X, Define R6 with Noctua 140 fans instead of stock, 2x 2TB A-Data M2, Seasonic Prime Ultra 850w

So after fighting CPU temp issues with 3800x spiking I'm now at the point where I'm fighting the chipset instead....

The darned chipset is running at 60+ degrees idle and during load it goes to 70-80, saw 80,6 yesterday I think while playing Total War Warhammer 2.

It's pretty clear that the main issue is the layout with the gpu on top of it because if at idle I push the gpu fans to max it will actually cool down the chipset lowering the fan speed of the PCH fan to 1000 instead of the 3000+ it normally runs at no matter if idle or under load. The fan on the chipset is literally heating the chip instead of cooling it...

Not really sure what the choices are here even:

* Move the 2080 TI to the second slot but then it will be running at 8x....

* Remove the "heatsick" cover of the PCH thingy that seems rather stupid in the first place to have there.

* Swap the thermal pad of the pch and hope for the best....

* Replace the entire motherboard with something that doesn't heat the chipset from the GPU

I am rather annoyed at the idea of trying to remove the gpu with the Noctua D15 there because there's literally no way to unsocket the plastic clip easily right now without starting to remove the fans or perhaps even the entire cooler.

Any other ideas or what the max temp of this thing even is? It's not like I notice any particular issues apart from a whiny noise which I think is the pch fan but whenever something hits 80+ I really dislike it.
8 REPLIES 8

Reous
Level 7
Try to set PCIEx16_1 Mode to Gen3 instead of Auto. If your M2 are PCIe3.0, set them also to Gen3 (M.2_1/2 Link Mode). Other option is to try a Mod Bios where you can adjust the PCH fan and also activate PCIe power saving.

GrimJouw
Level 7
Net Qvist wrote:
The darned chipset is running at 60+ degrees idle and during load it goes to 70-80

I have the same problem but temps are a bit higher. I saw a post where one guy turned off PCH fan and the temperature dropped 25-30s during load. I might be wrong but sounds like possible decision since PCH fan sucks hot air from GPU.

9colai
Level 7
I took off the plastic cover on my X570-e and placed a fan inside the case pointing towards the chipset heatsink. Now the temperature is 55/60 idle/gaming. I saw similar temperatures as yours before I "fixed" it.

I wonder how you can release a motherboard like that in the first place... The motherboard I had before was a Asus Z77 sabertooth with small fans that made really loud and annoying noise and i thought the same about that board "how the hell can you release this ****??" This is the last time i buy an Asus motherboard...

9colai wrote:
I took off the plastic cover on my X570-e and placed a fan inside the case pointing towards the chipset heatsink. Now the temperature is 55/60 idle/gaming. I saw similar temperatures as yours before I "fixed" it.

I wonder how you can release a motherboard like that in the first place... The motherboard I had before was a Asus Z77 sabertooth with small fans that made really loud and annoying noise and i thought the same about that board "how the hell can you release this ****??" This is the last time i buy an Asus motherboard...

Would this be with the GPU in the top or bottom slot? I really want to keep the 16x on the GPU.

It's rather funny that blasting the GPU fans at 100% actually cools down the chipset to the point where the chipset fan stops spinning. If I run the default profile of the GPU where it goes to idle at like 55-60 degrees the chipset runs at 70 degrees with the fan at 3000 rpm. Keeping the gpu at 45 instead with a custom profile so that the fans spin longer means the chipset will be at 60 idle.

Net Qvist wrote:
Would this be with the GPU in the top or bottom slot? I really want to keep the 16x on the GPU.

It's rather funny that blasting the GPU fans at 100% actually cools down the chipset to the point where the chipset fan stops spinning. If I run the default profile of the GPU where it goes to idle at like 55-60 degrees the chipset runs at 70 degrees with the fan at 3000 rpm. Keeping the gpu at 45 instead with a custom profile so that the fans spin longer means the chipset will be at 60 idle.

It's with the gpu in the top slot, I thought it was the best compromise that way. I mounted the extra fan with some zip ties to a HDD cage.

The PCH fan doesn't run during idle on mine either, but it runs at low speed when I game. Probably because the temperature doesn't go above 60 with the fix.

9colai wrote:
I wonder how you can release a motherboard like that in the first place...

Btw guys, the fact is that the reason of the heat may be INCORRECT CHIPSET DRIVER VERSION 19.30.28 that is actually 19.10.22 ON THE OFFICIAL SITE (if you installed the latest one).... Asus........

GrimJouw wrote:
Btw guys, the fact is that the reason of the heat may be INCORRECT CHIPSET DRIVER VERSION 19.30.28 that is actually 19.10.22 ON THE OFFICIAL SITE (if you installed the latest one).... Asus........

Definitely not a driver problem. I have always used the latest chipset driver from AMD's website. The problem is from poor design

Net_Qvist
Level 7
Managed to somehow remove the gpu, was a bit annoying due to the larger cooler with almost no room to unlatch but a strong ruler did the trick.
Removing the cover made the temps drop by 5 degrees and the rpm of the fan has dropped by 1000.

So now it's like 74C load and 2500rpm instead of 80 and 3500.
However the motherboard sensor has also dropped by like 5 degrees so my chassi fans are running at half speed compared to before, I'll have to tinker a bit with the fan curve. At least it seems like the chipset is running below or cooler than the gpu now compared to before when it was running even hotter than the gpu.