cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus sabertooth 990fx/gen3 r2.0

fr3d
Level 10
I bought a ASUS M5A99x EVO at the start of the year. but its only pci 2 now theres a SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 do you reccond its worth upgrading the board because its pci 3? But i done some research and it says pci3 is not much different from pci2 so is that true?
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
What graphic card do you have?

And there are no components that use a PCie slot currently that max out a Gen2 bandwidth so not sure what difference it will make to you in the real world. But if you want the new board buy it.

There are new AMD offering out very soon I understand. So you might want to hang in there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DionTheGreek
Level 7
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor [Already Purchased]
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM [Like the way it looks on the board without cover too much. Also possibilities for OC later]
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ [Interested on solid quality that will last for many years. 5+ Warranty a big plus]
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 [16GB max out dual channel. Upgrade in later years if needed]
Storage NEW SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" [Good reviews - Solid SSD - Will use for OS-Boot-Programs]
Storage NEW HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM [Best 1TB Drive - Will use for Games]
Storage NEW HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM [Cheap 2TB - Will use for Music/Videos/
Storage OLD HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB [Old HDD - Data Drive]
Storage OLD HDD: Maxtor MaXLine III 7L250S0 250GB [Old HDD - Data Drive]
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB [One of the best and not very expensive - Dont want to exceed ~$400 on a VGA]
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower [Is quiet and looks beautiful]
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm [will replace the h100i that will go to the front of the case. The one from the front will go on the bottom of the case]
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V [Good Seasonic made power supply - Enough to handle future upgrades]
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer [Cheap and solid]
Other Tray: NZXT Technologies 5.25-Inch Hue RGB LED Color Changing Controller (8c-hue0000-00b) [Some color for fun]
OS: Windows 8 Pro [Use it every day on my laptop and I start to like it]
Monitor: SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER SMS23A550H [Already own]

My Budget: Around $1500
Use of this build: 70% Browsing & Office 30% Gaming

Hello everyone,

This is my final build before placing my order to amazon/newegg/ncix. The pc will be used mostly for day to day activities but interested to play the latest games for the next couple years. Eventually in about 3-4 years, I'll add the second VGA and more memory (if needed). What I am asking here everyone interested to help is possible compatibility issues (especially on my hard drives, vga, memory). Already checked clearance issues on the h100i and it will be fine on this MOBO and case.

Thank you in advance.