cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rog strix x470 bios update

Nibbzaaaay
Level 7
Hi guys,

New forum user here. I've lurked for many years but only just really built a unit worth talking about.

So I'm currently stacked up as follows.
X470 strix gaming f
Ryzen 7 1700 (my 2700x hasn't arrived yet)
Samsung Evo 960 250gb
Wd 3tb mechanical.
3 X ssds varying sizes. All mounted as seperate drives. I am adding a 970 pro next week when that arrives in the post as well.
Asus dual gtx 1070 8goc.
16gb (4x4) adata xgp 2800 ryzen recommend for overclocking. Its on the qvl.
650w Silverstone PSU 80+
And obvs keyboard mouse game pads etc. There is no dvd drive.

Yes it's overkill. I know. It won't be when I find a 1080 in the price drop and a new 4k big screen that competes with my current one. Lol.

So problem is basically every strix board I've ever had has needed bios updates almost immediately to enable me to get what I want from the board.
Upon taking delivery of the board and placing it into my rig I noticed right away that there were 2 mobo revisions on the Asus website for my board. I don't like to get left behind especially with mobo updates because I've had problems in the past. So I immediately updated to 4011 which was the most recent available.
That didn't work. Immediately the board started to boot loop and would regularly get stuck at a white light indicating a problem with the GPU. There is none. Its perfect brand new infact. Eventually you can by keep trying get it to post and get into bios. About 80% of the time it will fail again to boot.
So I rolled back to 4008 which pretty much did the same thing but not quite as bad but the same I still can't get a stable boot.

Well after many hours of trying I rolled back to the 2205 bios via does method.

My question is this the bios updates are supposed to bring stability and add features and always have on most boards I've used in my life.
Why would the system not start after a bios update? If I put 4008 on a usb and start the pc it boots into bios and I can change things but as soon as I restart the instability comes back. I know the answer is to just wait for another bios update. But I just wanted to know if anyone had a reason why the update would totally ruin my ability to boot.
Its very random too it's not always and it doesn't always do the same thing. Sometimes I get no screen sometimes I get nothing at all. Sometimes the odd time I get into bios and then the rest of the time it just does nothing. Back to old bios again and a quick reinstall of windows and it's back to normal.

Proper weird situation. I have been tempted to take the board back I don't want to get stuck with a board that won't update them need that ability later in its life for some reason.

Thanks for reading and reaching out to me.
Nibbz.
1 REPLY 1

AniChatt
Level 9
Nibbzaaaay wrote:
Hi guys,

New forum user here. I've lurked for many years but only just really built a unit worth talking about.

So I'm currently stacked up as follows.
X470 strix gaming f
Ryzen 7 1700 (my 2700x hasn't arrived yet)
Samsung Evo 960 250gb
Wd 3tb mechanical.
3 X ssds varying sizes. All mounted as seperate drives. I am adding a 970 pro next week when that arrives in the post as well.
Asus dual gtx 1070 8goc.
16gb (4x4) adata xgp 2800 ryzen recommend for overclocking. Its on the qvl.
650w Silverstone PSU 80+
And obvs keyboard mouse game pads etc. There is no dvd drive.

Yes it's overkill. I know. It won't be when I find a 1080 in the price drop and a new 4k big screen that competes with my current one. Lol.

So problem is basically every strix board I've ever had has needed bios updates almost immediately to enable me to get what I want from the board.
Upon taking delivery of the board and placing it into my rig I noticed right away that there were 2 mobo revisions on the Asus website for my board. I don't like to get left behind especially with mobo updates because I've had problems in the past. So I immediately updated to 4011 which was the most recent available.
That didn't work. Immediately the board started to boot loop and would regularly get stuck at a white light indicating a problem with the GPU. There is none. Its perfect brand new infact. Eventually you can by keep trying get it to post and get into bios. About 80% of the time it will fail again to boot.
So I rolled back to 4008 which pretty much did the same thing but not quite as bad but the same I still can't get a stable boot.

Well after many hours of trying I rolled back to the 2205 bios via does method.

My question is this the bios updates are supposed to bring stability and add features and always have on most boards I've used in my life.
Why would the system not start after a bios update? If I put 4008 on a usb and start the pc it boots into bios and I can change things but as soon as I restart the instability comes back. I know the answer is to just wait for another bios update. But I just wanted to know if anyone had a reason why the update would totally ruin my ability to boot.
Its very random too it's not always and it doesn't always do the same thing. Sometimes I get no screen sometimes I get nothing at all. Sometimes the odd time I get into bios and then the rest of the time it just does nothing. Back to old bios again and a quick reinstall of windows and it's back to normal.

Proper weird situation. I have been tempted to take the board back I don't want to get stuck with a board that won't update them need that ability later in its life for some reason.

Thanks for reading and reaching out to me.
Nibbz.

Sorry to hear this bro but I have a similar board working with 4011. I would request you to post your issues in this thread I have just opened for all X470-F users. Posting in a single bigeer thread helps to grab attention and easier to report to asus admin. Here is the link,
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?102858
Please post your current status here so that we all can have a healthy and meaningful discussion which will help each other.