cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) random shut downs/reboots, high temps/ voltages

derridada
Level 7
My system shuts down randomly, and then just reboots. There is no bsod, no log, no dump, no diagnostics. There is no way to tell why this happens, but it seems as if the CPU hits the 95 C max and reboots for safety, but that is just my guess.
I’m running the latest chipset driver and BIOS.

Specs:
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI); with latest AMD chipset driver and BIOS 0803
- GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 O8G-GAMING
- RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC DDR4-3600 on CL16-19-19-39 at 1.35V
- PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W 80 Plus Titanium
- Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-U12S, with 2 Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC 2000 PWM fans
- OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB with Windows 10 Pro, version 1903

This happens both in Windows balanced / Ryzen balanced power plans. Temperatures are around 50-55C idling/low usage, which are on the high side. When idling/low usage, the CPU shows erratic voltage jumps, with a high, average ‘baseline’ of 1.464V. It does cycle below 1.0V, but only very sporadically, and very erratically.

The problem is that under load when gaming, the temps shoot up to 80 and beyond. Ultimately the system shuts down. I am running everything stock – no OC profiles.
The last time it happened was while playing Destiny 2 yesterday. Which is ironic, since the idling/power issue was supposedly patched with the latest AMD chipset driver and Asus BIOS.

I’ve cleared CMOS, flashed BIOS a few times with optimized defaults, reinstalling Win 10, uninstalling Armory Crate and disabling it right in the BIOS, disabling AURA.
I’m not using Asus Ai Suite, or anything like it; BIOS is stock, except for fan profiles.
It’s running on Power saver mode now, which is extremely stable, but not exactly blindingly fast.
16 REPLIES 16

AngryAce
Level 7
I've bought brand name PSUs that have failed quick over the years, one spectacularly on first boot (actual fireball). Just the nature of electronics. Your Seasonic should be under warranty so they should honor an RMA. Never used them before although my EVGA 1000 PS is a Seasonic, which failed....lol. Glad you got it figured out!

RedSector73
Level 12
derridada wrote:
My system shuts down randomly, and then just reboots. There is no bsod, no log, no dump, no diagnostics. There is no way to tell why this happens, but it seems as if the CPU hits the 95 C max and reboots for safety, but that is just my guess.
I’m running the latest chipset driver and BIOS.

Specs:
- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI); with latest AMD chipset driver and BIOS 0803
- GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2080 O8G-GAMING
- RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC DDR4-3600 on CL16-19-19-39 at 1.35V
- PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W 80 Plus Titanium
- Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-U12S, with 2 Noctua NF-F12 industrial PPC 2000 PWM fans
- OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB with Windows 10 Pro, version 1903

This happens both in Windows balanced / Ryzen balanced power plans. Temperatures are around 50-55C idling/low usage, which are on the high side. When idling/low usage, the CPU shows erratic voltage jumps, with a high, average ‘baseline’ of 1.464V. It does cycle below 1.0V, but only very sporadically, and very erratically.

The problem is that under load when gaming, the temps shoot up to 80 and beyond. Ultimately the system shuts down. I am running everything stock – no OC profiles.
The last time it happened was while playing Destiny 2 yesterday. Which is ironic, since the idling/power issue was supposedly patched with the latest AMD chipset driver and Asus BIOS.

I’ve cleared CMOS, flashed BIOS a few times with optimized defaults, reinstalling Win 10, uninstalling Armory Crate and disabling it right in the BIOS, disabling AURA.
I’m not using Asus Ai Suite, or anything like it; BIOS is stock, except for fan profiles.
It’s running on Power saver mode now, which is extremely stable, but not exactly blindingly fast.

You are not using the latest bios as you suggested. Bios should be updated to 1001 (been out since early September) not 0803 there is a new one due out next month. CPU thermal throttles first.
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

1.46v at idle - meaningless unless your jay2cents, using a pre-production board.

Where are these temp being measured and what are you using to measure them ?

PyCoder
Level 7
Auto is garbadge!

Set your voltage to 1.3125 or 1.3187 in the BIOS!

Now my 3900X is running with 1.3125 in BIOS, it still hits 7192 on CB and it's stable!
The idle temp is around 38 °C, 45 °C while browsing and stuff and 65 - 74 °C while playing / rendering.

Cooled with a Noctua NH-D15

PyCoder wrote:
Auto is garbadge!

Never had any issue with auto. I doubt your statement is factual, it's subjective as best.

RedSector73 wrote:
Never had any issue with auto. I doubt your statement is factual, it's subjective as best.

Check reddit or the amd forum 🙂

PyCoder wrote:
Check reddit or the amd forum 🙂

That would be more subjective sources. To confirm something I called subjective ?

RedSector73 wrote:
That would be more subjective sources. To confirm something I called subjective ?

I can confirm, auto IS garbadge, at least for my case too, I had the same problem with my 5950X and Crosshair VIII Formula mobo, I had to set the voltage manually to avoid random restarts. System works perfectly with undervolt or manual OC.