cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage IV Extreme sees only 16GB out of 32GB 2133 (32GB set)

ttvd
Level 8
Hi, I have a 32gb set (one set) of G.Skill F3-1700CL9Q2-32GBZH Ripjaws (9-11-10-28, ddr 2133).
I have trouble getting Asus Rampage Extreme IV to see all 32 Gb. If I enable XMP I can boot fine with 16GB.

If I boot with 32gb, the board only sees 16gb (although if I do DIMM post, it can see all 8 sticks). And will report OC error on POST. Weirdly it reports sticks as 1600s (even when I run 16gb, it reports them as 1600s running at 2133).

I have the latest bios (1101 I believe). I tried changing bios oc settings to no avail, it just will not boot (typically will report 6F error ~ System Agent DXE initialization in Asus book).

I have EZ_PLUG_2 connected (for extra power to dram) but it does not help in any way.

Modules themselves seem to be fine, when i test them in 16gb conf (I tried all of them). I am wondering if motherboard is defective (or is it just plain incompatible with these sticks).

If anyone is running Asus Rampage IV Extreme with these sticks, could you please post your bios configuration I would be more than grateful.

Thanks.
rad
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
Out of interest what is your OS?

I have the same sticks and they do work fine even with my rather rubbish IMC on my CPU.

That does not mean they will work with every one CPU of course.

What you should do is download memtest 4.2 (I use the USB versions) and run memtest on one stick at a time. First run using the default settings in the BIOS as a base line test for all sticks.

Then manually set the XMP values. These values are the numbers and voltages on your physical ram stick itself. If you are unsure where to find all the BIOS settings there is a very good BIOS guide showing all the different UFI bios options sticky at the top of this sub forum.

Once you have all your sticks passed memtest at the rated frequency of the XMP profile. Then take one stick of ram that you know to be working and place it in the next motherboard memory slot. We will work through each slot testing to see if the board has the problem.
Once all your slots have passed post back and we will move on to the next stage.

There is no point in listing the next stage by the way as what your outcome is will determine what we do next.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

VistaKing
Level 9
Hopefully he will be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 . Windows 7 Home Premium x64 max is 16GB

Courtesy of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Created by DaemonCantor and Adam

Hi, thanks for tips 🙂

To question about OS: I run Windows 7 Professional x64, but this is somewhat irrelevant, since even my bios does not see 32gb.

I ran memtest on each stick in auto mode, there are no errors (that did take a while). I have not tested them in XMP 2133 mode yet.

I also noticed when I run 16 gb I experience windows freezes sometimes (when gaming or doing 3d rendering) (both xmp-2133 and auto-1600); no bsods, just a complete lock up. After I reset, POST reports OC Error (Press F1 to continue etc).

DIMM POST through Bios does see all sticks, but I still cannot get it to see all 32gb (only 16gb shows up), no matter which tweak mode I use or whether I use XMP (set timings manually and voltage) or whether I use auto.

Another thing, when running 32gb sometimes it will not boot at all; just reports 6F error on motherboard LED and then starts reset/boot infinite loop.

Out of curiosity I took 32gb G.Skill 1600 kit from my i7 system and tried it in rampage extreme iv (I ran this kit for almost 2 years, so I am pretty sure there are no problems with it). Board still cannot see 32gb, whether in XMP or Auto.

I only tried running 1011 bios, but I doubt my problem will go away by downgrading?

I am not sure regarding your advice on filling memory slots one by one, in which order to I do it?

Thanks,
rad

VistaKing
Level 9
You could start off like it shows in the manual . Place one of your Memory sticks on D1. See if that helps.

Created by DaemonCantor and Adam

I unrolled to 1005, no luck, same issues as 1101. I also found something accidentally which bothers me. My left sticks are much warmer than my right sticks (I don't think this is normal).

Also, I think I may have a defective board, seeing how my rampage does not see all 32gb, I pressed my right sticks (all 4 of them) slightly harder (with my thumb) and kept them pressed during boot. Rampage saw all 32gb! However after I let go, Windows booted and locked up (after several minutes). Is it possible that I have a defective / loose slot? What should I do in this case?

Also in 16gb/8gb mode, I tried 3 sets today (4x4 g.skill ripjaws 1600, 4x2 corsair dominator 1600 and 4x4 g.skill ripjaws z 2133 ), but I have eventual lock ups on g.skill ones, and board completely refused to boot with domintators (wtf? - just goes in weird infinite sequence on LED 19-14-60-61-67-69-31-32-62-not sure-70-79-start over, even when bios is cleared, I guess I need to boot with g.skill, set manually timings+voltage for dominators and then replace since it obviously does not work on auto?).

I also followed the guide on this board playing with dram related voltages to no avail, I get same result, either OC error on boot or lock up in windows after several minutes 😞

SIgh, I think this is just my luck with Asus. I guess next question is how do I start an RMA. I guess I am glad I decided to test this board first before mounting waterblocks 😞

Thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest to have a slow read and work through some of the ram timings and settings that Raja goes through.

Here is what I use

Manually set the ram frequencies is a help when you are using 32GB or ram.
VCCSA increase the voltages up two or three notches. I would suggest maximum of 1.250 (1.150 is where I am comfortable) @ 2133MHz
Increase both Dram voltages to 1.65
Ram Tweak Mode 1

Please let me know how it goes.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

There was a mention that applying pressure to the board appeared to have made a difference in memory recognition. I'd suggest the OP double check that he has not mounted the CPU cooler too tight. I'd also check the socket for bent pins.

I suspected that also, I removed mounted H100 and remounted it ~ same deal, does not see 32gb, only 16gb.
I also tried mounting noctua heatsink, again, same result.
I have no bent pins http://i.imgur.com/vtp0R.jpg if you need a larger image I can post one, but there are no bent pins.

VCCSA increase the voltages up two or three notches. I would suggest maximum of 1.250 (1.150 is where I am comfortable) @ 2133MHz
Increase both Dram voltages to 1.65
Ram Tweak Mode 1

My system will not post with these settings, I get OC error. Also, I do not see 32gb (it saw all 32gb only once, when I applied pressure to the right memory slots), only 16gb.

I have extremely unstable system when running 16gb and 2133 (either XMP or manual mode timings + voltage).
This all is like a bad dream.

In either case, I submitted an RMA request. Thanks to everybody.

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate. Keep us informed as to the RMA outcome please.