cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme only boots sporadically

MilleSabor
Level 7
boot-behaviour of my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, which I have since March 2012 has deteriorated: Since a few weeks ago it starts less and less reliably. When I press start-button nothing happens, pressing "start" repeatedly usually solved the problem when it occured at first. The frequency that I am not able to boot the computer has increased however: Now I can power on the PC only once in a few days... I have cleared CMOS and I have detached PSU entirely for some days to check if that would remedy the problem but to no avail. BIOS is current one as I updated it immediately when I had the chance to boot, did not help either though.
Any ideas?

My system:
Board: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
RAM: G.Skill 1600-999 RipjawsX K4, 8*8GB = 64GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
PSU: Seasonic X-1050
4 REPLIES 4

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that your RMA the board if possible.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Melting_Point
Level 10
Before you RMA it, you might as well try re-seating all the components that you have plugged into it. It could be just a dodgy connection making intermittent contact. It's unlikely, but it's well worth checking before you RMA the board.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Melting Point wrote:
Before you RMA it, you might as well try re-seating all the components that you have plugged into it. It could be just a dodgy connection making intermittent contact. It's unlikely, but it's well worth checking before you RMA the board.

I just did, no joy... I guess I have to RMA it then. I hoped I could avoid ripping my rig apart. 😞 Thank you for your answers though!

Retired
Not applicable
Yes, RMA , you could harm the board, if messing too much with it.. ex, a scratch in the pcb, around the cooler brackets.

And the warranty is gone.

RMA