cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus rampage IV extreme (black) - boot problem

Draakjuh
Level 7
Hello all,

I have a problem with starting up windows from my SSD. I have a new PC and installed windows 8.1 from a USB on the SSD (EVO 840 250gb). When I startup my computer, I see the republic of gamers screen and it asks me to press delete or F2 to go into my bios.

In the bios I have set the boot priority 1 to my SSD and 2 to my DVD drive (I have another SATA drive, but I have disconnected it). The SATA configuration is set to AHCI mode (also tried RAID mode). When I go to the boot menu and select my SSD, then Windows will startup normally.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I tried a lot, but still no luck. So every time when I start up my pc, is stays in the black screen asking me to press delete or F2 and I have to go to the boot menu to startup Windows.
18 REPLIES 18

Draakjuh
Level 7
Do you have an idea where to find that option? I did also try Windows 7, but also the same problem again.

Draakjuh
Level 7
I have a new update. I installed Windows again (UEFI) with all BIOS settings on default. I now see the 'Windows BOOT manager' in the priority list and placed it on top (P1). It still doesn't boot. The SSD is installed as GPT.

Any new solutions?... I think I should try to install Windows on my 'normal' HDD to see if that works. Maybe it is my motherboard who has problems..

Draakjuh
Level 7
I installed windows on my 'normal' HDD, but the computer is still stuck on that screen and goes into the UEFI BIOS. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version. Does anyone know what to do now?

So both SSD and HDD are not booting properly. The 'Windows BOOT manager' is on priority 1...

Raja
Level 13
Show a picture of the BOOT device page here on the forum.

List everything you have plugged into the board as well - USB devices..

Draakjuh
Level 7
I have posted new photo's of my UEFI BIOS. You can find them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/11x1g416n6yy17i/AAD4jH47cNFPOsPo3IBvDEKFa.

Strange thing is that the BIOS says that I have 2 keyboards connected, but it is only one. I have the following devices connected:
DVD player (SATA)
Keyboard (G11 - USB)
Mouse (G5 - USB - wired from a USB extend cable)
Corsair H100i (Watercooling)
GTX 780 (Videocard)
The controller of my motherboard (in front of my case)
USB/SATA/Firewire ports (in front of my case - HAF x)
Fans (case fans)
850 watt (power device)
2x RAM 8g
27 inch Samsung screen (HDMI port of videocard)

A normal HDD should work normally right. It is strange that this also won't boot 'normally'. Could it be a jumper or switch on the motherboard that gives problems or does the motherboard have problems? Hope the photo's and information gives you a better view of the situation.

Raja
Level 13
Never heard of such a problem before so thinking peripheral or setup issue on your side. Uefi picking up two input devices us normal. Id disconnect the dvd drive and use uefi to directly select boot override to the Samsung drive. If that does not work try a different keyboard if the g11 has a hub. Disconnect all other drives or storage devices to make the install as well.

also you can save uefi screenshots directly to a fat32 formatted flash drive by pressing f12 in uefi. No need to take camera shots..

am also assuming you followed praz advice above on secure erasing the drive and not going through all the gpart stuff. Would also update uefi to latest version.

Draakjuh
Level 7
Thanks for the reply. I just tried every step you told me to do, but still no luck.. I am afraid it might be a motherboard problem or something. Maybe I will have to contact Asus for support. I will try to install Linux first to see if that will work or not.

Update - I just installed Ubuntu (in SATA port 2 - just in case), but also no luck.. Keeps hanging in the same screen and goes to the UEFI BIOS. From the boot menu it starts up normally.

Raja
Level 13
Which UEFI version are you using?

If it BOOTs when you use BOOT over-ride, then something you have plugged into the board is interupting the BOOT menu after POST for some reason. Doubt this is something you can resolve by changing out the board (but stranger things have happened)..

Draakjuh
Level 7
I have installed the latest version of the BIOS yesterday. I am now trying to contact the Asus helpdesk (Holland) maybe they can help me further.