cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition - Random Shutdown

tyra
Level 7
Hi all,

I have a massive problem with my mainboard.

My Specs

- Asus Rampage IV Black Edition

- 2 x 32GB-Kit Corsair Dominator GT PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-27 (64GB Ram)

- i7 3960x Extreme Edition

- 3x Radeon 290x

- Samsung 840 Pro 512

- the whole system is water cooled

My Problem

I have a fresh installation of windows 8.1 and installed all the drivers. But the systems shuts down randomly. It simply switches off when I am surfing in the internet or not doing anything. My Bios is version 0701.

I would really appreciate if someone knows how to solve this issue and yes I have used the search function and tried all those tricks, however nothing helped.

Best,
tyra
10 REPLIES 10

g13hOMI
Level 7
enough power to run 3 290x? you didnt post your psu specs, i have 1 and i believe its quite a resource pig.

Sorry I forgot that. It is a:

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 PC-PSU (1500 Watt) // Turbo mode: 1650 Watt

Should be more than enough 😃

tyra
Level 7
push!

MAD
Level 7
I just saw the 0701 is no more in Bios download section, maybe it is something related. I also have the 0701 and start oc and have some errors, so i guess is for the oc, but maybe is something about the bios, for some reason they retired from the page.

MAD wrote:
I just saw the 0701 is no more in Bios download section, maybe it is something related. I also have the 0701 and start oc and have some errors, so i guess is for the oc, but maybe is something about the bios, for some reason they retired from the page.

This bios has never been removed and works fine ..
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

eL_eL
Level 7
tyra wrote:
Hi all,

I have a massive problem with my mainboard.

My Specs

- 2 x 32GB-Kit Corsair Dominator GT PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-27 (64GB Ram)

- i7 3960x Extreme Edition

- 3x Radeon 290x

- Samsung 840 Pro 512

- the whole system is water cooled

My Problem

I have a fresh installation of windows 8.1 and installed all the drivers. But the systems shuts down randomly. It simply switches off when I am surfing in the internet or not doing anything. My Bios is version 0701.

I would really appreciate if someone knows how to solve this issue and yes I have used the search function and tried all those tricks, however nothing helped.

Best,
tyra

@Tyra - Similar issue with my system. It started with my original RIVE motherboard. After > 18 months of painless operation the system shuts off by itself one day and will not power up without leaving unplugged or power supply switched off for a while. I recently purchased a RIVE Black Edition motherboard as a replacement. Same issue but does it less frequently when not overclocked.

My specs are as follows:

- Kingston HyperBeast 64GB DDR3-2133 Kit
- i7 3930k
- EVGA NVIDIA GTX690
- 3x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
- Seasonic SS-1250XM Power Supply (1250 Watts)
- 6x WD Hard Drives
- Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
- System is air cooled

It seems like we have some similarities in our setup. My guess now that I've swapped out my motherboard is that it's either the CPU, Memory, or Power Supply. The symptoms are occurring even though the CPU and RAM are clocked at OEM settings (3.2Ghz and 1333MHz). What are your thoughts?

eL_eL wrote:
@Tyra - Similar issue with my system. It started with my original RIVE motherboard. After > 18 months of painless operation the system shuts off by itself one day and will not power up without leaving unplugged or power supply switched off for a while. I recently purchased a RIVE Black Edition motherboard as a replacement. Same issue but does it less frequently when not overclocked.

My specs are as follows:

- Kingston HyperBeast 64GB DDR3-2133 Kit
- i7 3930k
- EVGA NVIDIA GTX690
- 3x Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
- Seasonic SS-1250XM Power Supply (1250 Watts)
- 6x WD Hard Drives
- Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
- System is air cooled

It seems like we have some similarities in our setup. My guess now that I've swapped out my motherboard is that it's either the CPU, Memory, or Power Supply. The symptoms are occurring even though the CPU and RAM are clocked at OEM settings (3.2Ghz and 1333MHz). What are your thoughts?

Hi eLeL,

I have tried everything. Removing the Graphic, Ram etc. The last thing I wanted to try was a complete new Rampage. However I replaced the board with a new one yesterday and I have not had one random shutdown since then. I seems to be a problem some asus rampage mainboards have with a high end set up. I did not have to make any changes in the BIOS to make the PC run. Everything is fine now... Sorry for the bad news, but it is the board...

tyra wrote:
Hi eLeL,

I have tried everything. Removing the Graphic, Ram etc. The last thing I wanted to try was a complete new Rampage. However I replaced the board with a new one yesterday and I have not had one random shutdown since then. I seems to be a problem some asus rampage mainboards have with a high end set up. I did not have to make any changes in the BIOS to make the PC run. Everything is fine now... Sorry for the bad news, but it is the board...

Glad to hear you've figured out the issue with your system. Sorry to hear it is the board but at least you have peace of mind finding out the problem.

Things are still not definite with my RIVE BE although the shutdowns have stopped since I swapped out my power supply with a new Seasonic 3 days + 17 hrs ago. I am hoping the system will remain stable for at least a few more days then I will try swapping my old motherboard back in.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Try setting CPU current capability higher in digi+ section...140 or 160%