cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage III Extreme 24GB Memory Bandwidth Issue

frustrata
Level 9
Hi,
I'm not very experienced in overclocking / MB settings so I hope somebody can shed light to the issue I'm having.

I've been using Asus Rampage III Extreme MB, with i7 980XI and had 12GB RAM running at 1600Mhz for years without any issues whatsoever.

Recently I got a pretty good deal on Kingston KHX1600C9D3T1BK6/24GX 24GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 6) XMP T1 Black Series and installed them. I am moving to my new Rampage IV system and wanted to give my kid what I thought a better system really.

At first system didn't recognize 24GB immediately, then I managed to have the system see all 24GB fine @1600Mhz, using XMP profile.
And it's running rock solid now.

My issue is the bandwidth....
CPU-Z reports as individual Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4GX modules with DRAM frequency at 800Mhz but the bandwidth is PC3-10700 (667Mhz) instead of PC3-12800 (800Mhz).
I am attaching screenshots as well.

I would really appreciate if you can help me setting the correct bandwidth in bios settings.
Thank you.
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
CPUz is just reporting the base spec for the kit on the SPD tab

The memory tab shows what the Kit is running at...i.e. here it's your rated specs...800x2 1600

I have the same here with a 3200MHz kit....SPD says 1066...it's running at 1600

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
CPUz is just reporting the base spec for the kit on the SPD tab

The memory tab shows what the Kit is running at...i.e. here it's your rated specs...800x2 1600

I have the same here with a 3200MHz kit....SPD says 1066...it's running at 1600

Thank you Arne for your ultra fast reply.
I guess all is OK.

Is there any other utility like CPU-Z showing current real values?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nah, you're welcome...

Most of these monitoring tools will show you your current RAM frequency...HWiNFO64 for example... AIDA64...

frustrata
Level 9
Much appreciated Arne, I have AIDA64, got HWinfo64 as well, both verified as you indicated.
I can now move on to make my new system with Rampage IV and NVMe, etc. with peace of mind.
I build a system every 5-7+yrs and I opt for premium components as I can so it lasts a bit longer, so a bit less hassle for me in the end.

My son had eyes on mine for some time now, feeling the pressure, if you know what I mean 🙂
Now I can go on and give it to him without any second thoughts about this memory bandwidth.

Have a great weekend.

frustrata wrote:
My son had eyes on mine for some time now, feeling the pressure, if you know what I mean 🙂

Haha;) he'll enjoy playing around on that for sure...good luck with the next build!

🙂