cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage Extreme IV - driver - windows base device problem

basweb_de
Level 7
Hi,

after reinstalling W10, I have a lot (over 16) base device drivers missing in the device manager, but I can't find any working drivers for this mainboard anywhere. I installed the USB drivers from the ASUS support website, but it didn't help.

Any chance to get old drivers somewhere? It's kinda strange, because in my old W10 installation (migration from 7), it all worked fine.
Now nothing helps, nothing works.

Not sure if the base device drivers missing are bad - but wonder if ASUS is really not supporting old mainboards anymore.
What about the ASUS AI Suite? Yes, I can monitor fans etc. via other programs, but why is all this stuff not working anymore? Is it THAT different to newer mainboards?

Would appreciate some tips, because all I can do now is: Accept the sad truth xD
Cheers,
Bastian
17 REPLIES 17

qzack
Level 7
basweb.de wrote:

What about the ASUS AI Suite? Yes, I can monitor fans etc. via other programs, but why is all this stuff not working anymore?

Good question 🙂 I also have an Asus Rampage IV.
By the way, what monitor fans program do you use?

qzack wrote:
Good question 🙂 I also have an Asus Rampage IV.
By the way, what monitor fans program do you use?

Hi, I use this one (fan control): https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases
Hm, bummer, apparently we should buy a new mainboard, eh? xD
Not really sure what's so difficult to support older hardware - doesn't have to be perfect, but the main drivers etc.?
That's really disappointing. Thought Asus would be different ... think I gonna try another company next time.

basweb.de wrote:
Hm, bummer, apparently we should buy a new mainboard, eh? xD

I also have another ASUS, but this old one is no worse either 🙂
Is it just the fan control only from BIOS-1.

basweb.de wrote:
Hi, I use this one (fan control): https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

I used Argus Monitor, which "sees" three fans out of five, of which only one SYSFAN is controlled.

qzack wrote:
I also have another ASUS, but this old one is no worse either 🙂
Is it just the fan control only from BIOS-1.

I used Argus Monitor, which "sees" three fans out of five, of which only one SYSFAN is controlled.

Hi qzack,
thanks for the link, gonna have a look.
No unfortunately it's not only this fan-stuff and all the controls (could live without, because I set it up in the BIOS and it's working so far), it's about the missing base drivers in win device manager (over 17), all apparently chipset drivers - not sure if this is slowing down or even can lead to conflicts with the OS over the long term.

Worked in a migrated win10 (from win7) without problems (no unknown devices), that's why I don't get why there's no support anymore - apparently the drivers work via Win7 and are discontinued for win10 if you freshly reinstall.

Cheers!

basweb.de wrote:
... it's about the missing base drivers in win device manager (over 17), all apparently chipset drivers - not sure if this is slowing down or even can lead to conflicts with the OS over the long term. .....

Now I looked at the Device Manager on my computer with Asus Rampage IV. There is not a single error on the drivers (but maybe I'm not looking there).
Installed Windows 10 Pro v.21H2

qzack wrote:
Now I looked at the Device Manager on my computer with Asus Rampage IV. There is not a single error on the drivers (but maybe I'm not looking there).
Installed Windows 10 Pro v.21H2

Weird. I installed a fresh up-to-date win10 pro 64 this month.
And it's full of chipset base drivers missing.

Was your install a migration (from old win10 or win7) or a single new install?

basweb.de wrote:
Was your install a migration (from old win10 or win7) or a single new install?

Single new install

ahfoo
Level 13
Just visit https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/Rampage_IV_Extreme/HelpDesk_Download/ to look for missing device driver for your board.

ahfoo wrote:
Just visit https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/Rampage_IV_Extreme/HelpDesk_Download/ to look for missing device driver for your board.

Hi ahfoo, thanks, I tried, but there's no drivers for the chipset anymore, leading to over 17 missing base drivers in the device manager. So far it's working ok, but it's hard to know if something important is missing. Made the journey to find out what the vendor IDs are, but it's almost all Intel chipset stuff and there's no drivers on either Intel or Asus support. All my old drivers are not working anymore, what's odd, because I had ZERO problems in the Win10 installation I migrated from win7 - apparently win10 then could use all the old drivers.

In my fresh win10 installation, nothing works.

I know, this mainboard is old and at some point manufacturers have to give up on support ... but the chipset is widely used and specially because the migrated drivers worked, I don't get what the problem is to support this mainboard/chipset any further.

Gonna try to search for drivers in my old installation (still on a harddrive), maybe it's working.

Cheers!