cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition (Random shutdown & restart)

Killer0561
Level 7
Hello,

I have had problems with the motherboard "Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition" under Windows 10 x64 for some time. At irregular intervals, my system crashes while playing completely. He switches off and goes back on after 2 to 3 seconds. Where it happens very often, the games are "Grand Theft Auto V & Batman: Arkham Knight". I use the profile XMP. That means my system is overclocked.

What I can already rule out from problems:

- The power supply has already been replaced.
- Windows 10 has been completely reinstalled.
- The bios has been completely reset.
- The motherboard battery was changed after 4 years.

My hardware data:

- HexaCore Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition, 4000MHz (40x100)
- Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (2 PCI-E x1, 4 PCI-E x16, 8 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, WiFi)
- Intel Patsburg X79, Intel Ivy Bridge-E
- 32706 MB (DDR3 SDRAM) - Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A2400C10 8 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM
- EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11 GB)
- 1000 Watt Corsair HXi Series HX1000i Modular 80+ Platinum
- Creative CA0132 @ Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Thanks in advance for help.

greeting

Killer0561 (Sascha)
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Sascha how you doing mate?

Your memory XMP profile as two options if I remember correctly, try the other one and see how that works.

Else increase your voltage to the dram by one increment.

Let us take your CPU out of the equation here too. Run ROGReal bench for me and see if you pass two runs without error.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hey Sascha how you doing mate?

Your memory XMP profile as two options if I remember correctly, try the other one and see how that works.

Else increase your voltage to the dram by one increment.

Let us take your CPU out of the equation here too. Run ROGReal bench for me and see if you pass two runs without error.

Hey HiVizMan,

thank you for this fast replay.
I will test it soon and give feedback in 2-3 days.

greeting

Killer0561 (Sascha)*

vennacher
Level 7
I had random system crashes and freezes when I used the ASMedia USB drivers or the v14xx or v15xx Intel RST drivers. I continue to use the Windows 10 native USB drivers, and am now using the latest v16 RST driver, but the v13 seem to work equally well. My R4BE is rock solid stable so hopefully between the XMP settings and these 2 drivers you can find a good place.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks for the input vennacher I hope the OP was sorted, if they don't post back it does often mean the problem is resolved.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I have only 1 XMP Profile in my Bios Settings. XMP set was CPU 4.00 Ghz and RAM 2400 mhz.

I found out something interesting. For example, if I play Batman Arkham Knight at the 3440x1440 resolution, the entire PC crashes without warning random. If I set the resolution to 1920x1080, the PC runs without problems and nothing crashes. For me, this is quite a puzzle.

Drivers and Windows are completely up to date.

greeting

Killer0561 (Sascha)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Seriously Sascha this only happens with a specific resolution?

What does the windows event viewer say caused the crash. Driver or hardware?

I assume you did a new VGA driver install when you reloaded the OS Swap your VGA to a different PCIe lane and test if possible?