cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VI Hero Optimal Mode

mjcelli
Level 7
Hello: First post on this forum. Needing advice on a problem I can't seem to troubleshoot.

I recently completed my first PC build:
Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Hero
CPU: Haswell I7-4770k
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ares Series 2400
Primary Drive: Samsung SSD Pro 512 GB
Video: GTX 780 Nvidia

The PC works great except for one instance so far. If I set system performance to "ASUS Optimal" in the BIOS and boot up, Windows 8.1 will boot up but when I get to the login screen and click on the password, at this time Windows will give me an error message and will want to restart. I'm not able to login without windows crashing in other words.

Windows boots fine in "Normal" performance mode. Also boots fine with XMP enabled.

Any ideas if this is a hardware issue or software issue? If hardware, which component would be suspect??

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions!
Mike C. 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would like to know how you have set your memory up please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mjcelli
Level 7
Yes - I have two sticks of G.Skill Ares series RAM F3-2400C11D-16GAB installed (8Gb each stick) in mobo slots Dimm_A1 and Dimm_B1 (red slots). I have XMP in the Bios turned off for now. The Bios brings the RAM up as 1333 Mhz. All other Bios settings are set to default usually Auto. I have not started the Overclocking process yet. I was concerned about this issue.

I hope the above information helps -- I'm kind of a newbie with OC'ing and working with the Bios settings.

Thanks again!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Enagle the XMP profile as your mode of OC it is as simple as that.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OK Thanks! What I found with a little more experimenting is that my system is not stable at the 4.6 Ghz level up CPU frequency. It operates fine at 4.4 Ghz level up.

Any advice on what to change to make it stable at 4.6 Ghz would be greatly appreciated! I believe it's a matter of modifying the CPU voltages but I'm not sure what to set them at. I sort of a noob at OC'ing.

Thanks again!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL 4.6 eh?

If your cooling can handle it and your CPU is a good un then why not. Voltage is going to be needed. Just keep an eye on your temps when you do some stress testing for heat management.

mjcelli
Level 7
OK, maybe 4.6 is a bit too ambitious for me lol. I'll shoot for 4.5. Reading other threads seems to make it clear 4.6 is out for the 4770K CPU.

Thanks for your input!!
Mike C.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not out just depending on the quality of the CPU. Some will and most won't.

You need to find out what your CPU will or can do. 🙂