Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VI Formula - Random Reboots

xuegui
Level 7
Intel 4770K
Corsair 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Asus Maximus Formula VI BIOS 1603 (latest)
Corsair AX860
Samsung EVO 840 256 GB x2 (Raid 0)
Asus 780 TI 3 GB DC2OC

Machine randomly reboots. Windows event viewer has critical entries for system rebooting for unknown reason (over 30 this week alone). AI Suite is NOT installed (it was previously, but caused crashes).

I even did a BIOS flashback using the 1603 version, but the issue persists. BIOS settings are DEFAULT. This machine has been temperamental since day 1 (April 2014). I have tried everything I could think of to get a stable system.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello xuegui and welcome

When you uninstalled ai suite did you run the cleaner afterwards to remove all services/leftovers? Your board should have came with ai sute II, here is the cleaner if you didn't run it.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28319-AI-Suite-II-uninstall-cleaner

Looking over your specs I see you have 32GB of ram. You may need to increase the cpu system agent voltage to be stable. Try setting the cpu system agent voltage to 1.15 - 1.25v.

NemesisChild
Level 12
And have you run memtest on each stick individually?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

So, I am not sure how I came up with this, but I seemed to have found the "fix" for my problem. When I built the machine, I originally connected the EZPLUG to the PSU (there are a number of threads stating this should be done) despite the actual manual for the Maximus VI Formula saying nothing about this ports purpose other than it exists.

The "fix" was to disconnect the molex from the EZPLUG. It has been purring along just fine now...

References

Chapter 1 - ATX power connectors mentions the 4 pin EZPLUG
Chapter 2 - Connecting the PSU mentions various combinations of connecting to the 24 pin, 8 pin or the other 4 pin connector.

Nate152
The 4 pin EZ plug is the 4 pin cpu power connector.

Make sure you are only connecting a 4 pin cpu power cable to it, do not connect anything else to it and it's only needed for extreme overclocking.

Nate152 wrote:
The 4 pin EZ plug is the 4 pin cpu power connector.

Make sure you are only connecting a 4 pin cpu power cable to it, do not connect anything else to it and it's only needed for extreme overclocking.

It is not the 4-pin CPU power connector.
The 4-pin EZ plug is a molex power connection to the PCIe lanes for 2+ GPU's.
Maximus VI Formula has an 8-pin and an additional 4-pin CPU connector.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Nate152
Oh sorry, I thought he was talking about the 4 pin cpu power connector.

But anyway, good to see you got it going xuegui.

Mine (Maximus VII Formula) started doing the same thing about two weeks ago. I did a clean install of windows so no leftover anything. The only Asus software(aside from drivers) I have installed is GPU-Tweak.
When it resets I don't see the bios post screen, windows just pops up without a single complaint (no crash error notifications) The only hint that it reset incorrectly are browsers that say session closed unexpectedly.
I've had this board for a while now and haven't had this issue up until recently.
This is the Maximus 7 formula and it doesn't have the 4 pin ez-plug for pcie power.
I tried reseating ram and video cards as well as re-flashing the bios.

The only recent change is the addition of a 2nd monitor Dell U2715h connected via display port with my older monitor Dell U2711 daisy-chained to it.

I haven't been able to discern a trigger for this. It's done it while I was gaming both low and high system usage, after walking away with it sitting idle, while browsing the web, and while I was remoting into it; to name a few.

I'm running:
Maximus VII Formula with (2012) Bios
i7-4790k
32GB Mushkin 2133mhz 9-9-11-28 redline
2 Poseidon GTX780s SLI
2 Samsung Evo 840 500GB Raid-0
2 Wd Raptor 600GB Raid-0
Pioneer BDR-209m
Corsair AX-1200
Asus TPM Module
Dell 27" U2715h and U2711 Daisy-Chained
Custom Water Cooling