cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI Formula - fan noise and controllers

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Hi everyone

My case is a Corsair Obsidian 750D which comes with 2 front 120mm fan, and a top 140 mm fan. I also have a Corsair H80i liquid cooler which comes with 2 fans. My motherboard is ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

I adjusted some of the fan controllers in BIOS to "silent", they still spin at quite high speed, as follows (based on AIDA64's sensor information):

Cooling Fans
CPU 2288 RPM (this is the "pump fan" of the Corsair 80i cooler)
OPT1 1041 RPM
OPT2 1077 RPM
OPT3 2804 RPM (this is the "front" fan of the Corsair 80i cooler, the one in front of the radiator)
Chassis #2 796 RPM
Chassis #3 1836 RPM (this is the "back" fan of the Corsair 80i cooler, the one behind the radiator)
GPU 1030 RPM (31%)

As you can imagine, the Corsair H80i fans are causing quite a bit of noise even when I'm just in Windows 8 (basically idle). How can I fix this please? Many thanks again for any advice, and sorry for my endless series of noob questions.
18 REPLIES 18

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Update to those who may care to read:

I went into "Advance Mode" in BIOS, and enabled fan control for all the fans, and changed some of the loudest fan profiles to "silent". The fan speeds now are as follows (using AIDA64):

Cooling Fans
CPU 2284 RPM
OPT1 674 RPM
OPT2 691 RPM
OPT3 1405 RPM
Chassis #2 811 RPM
Chassis #3 1797 RPM
GPU 1031 RPM (31%)

As you can see I still get a fairly high rpm with Chassis #3 which is causing a rather annoying sound. I was thinking of reinstalling AI Suite 3 and use Fan Xpert 2 to control. However I was wondering if there is a standalone version of Fan Xpert 2 (i.e. without the 4-way optimization being mandatory). Any clues any one please?

Alas, all I can say is that I know how you feel. It seems absurd to me that ASUS allows insane (and potentially damaging) levels of CPU overclock/voltage options but still forces such ultra-conservative minimum fan voltages in the BIOS. I don't understand why ASUS doesn't include a "Fan Extreme Tweaker" menu to unlock more reasonable minimums.

It does seem that installing AI Suite is the only way to go, but of course that doesn't help anyone who runs linux, nor does it help getting the OPT_FANs down to reasonable levels.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think you can install those modules of AIsuite that you want. I know that I only ever use TurboV and never use anything else.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
Yes, just install AI Suite III and de-select all the modules you don't want in the installer menu. Make sure you are running the latest UEFI and AI suite 3 from the ASUS support page for your motherboard.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thank you to all who has responded. Ok, I am now throwing noob question #137 now: if I just want Fan Xpert 2 without any of the potential "mandatory" OC options that come with the 4-way optimization, which of the following should I select from AI Suite 3:

1. AI Charge+
2. Dual Intelligent Processors 4
3. EZ Update
4. System Information
5. USB 3.0 boost
6. USB BIOS Flashback
7. UISB Charger +

The reason for asking this painfully dumb question is, well Fan Xpert 2 is bound to Dual Intelligent Processors 4 and I can't quite find the standalone option for it.

Much appreciated for your help.

dingo99
Level 10
It's not a dumb question... Unless the option is extremely well hidden, I'm pretty sure that 4-Way/TPU/EPU/DIGI+ (all bundled as DIP4) are mandatory if you want Fan Xpert 2. At least in the AI Suite downloads offered for the M6F, I have never seen anything to suggest that Fan Xpert 2 can be installed as an independent module.

I wish ASUS would reconsider its position on the BIOS fan settings on the M6F. As is (BIOS 0804), the minimum fan speeds are much higher than even my old Maximus II Formula allowed. As much as I want to try out the upcoming SteamOS, this issue will be deal-breaking because all my fans will be running unnecessarily loud.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I agree it is a great question. I will see what I can find out about future bios, and fan setting.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
I've also sent a separate support ticket on the Corsair support site, and am waiting for their response. I doubt there is much we can do other than perhaps wait for the next update of the Corsair Link software which should then be compatible with Haswell. I suppose I won't get any recommendations here about 3rd fan control software?

A more relevant question - I assume AI Suite 3 overrides any BIOS settings right? This is the same for the fan control and overclock settings?

Sherbat
Level 7
Not sure what you mean by that. Yes, it overrides settings set in BIOS, but it does not save them to BIOS. You can use Fan Xpert without using the other modules, so AI Suite is able to adjust your fans and leave your overclock be.
I hope this answers your question.
Maximus VI Hero / i5 4670K / GTX 760 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic M12II 650