cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus VI Formula - fan noise and controllers

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Hi everyone

My case is a Corsair Obsidian 750D which comes with 2 front 120mm fan, and a top 140 mm fan. I also have a Corsair H80i liquid cooler which comes with 2 fans. My motherboard is ASUS Maximus VI Formula.

I adjusted some of the fan controllers in BIOS to "silent", they still spin at quite high speed, as follows (based on AIDA64's sensor information):

Cooling Fans
CPU 2288 RPM (this is the "pump fan" of the Corsair 80i cooler)
OPT1 1041 RPM
OPT2 1077 RPM
OPT3 2804 RPM (this is the "front" fan of the Corsair 80i cooler, the one in front of the radiator)
Chassis #2 796 RPM
Chassis #3 1836 RPM (this is the "back" fan of the Corsair 80i cooler, the one behind the radiator)
GPU 1030 RPM (31%)

As you can imagine, the Corsair H80i fans are causing quite a bit of noise even when I'm just in Windows 8 (basically idle). How can I fix this please? Many thanks again for any advice, and sorry for my endless series of noob questions.
18 REPLIES 18

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thanks Sherbat - I guess my main concern is because I can only seem to run Fan Xpert 2 as part of the 4-way optimization process, which I think will also automatically involve OC by 4-way optimization. I just don't wish to OC at the moment, but the fan noise is slowly driving me insane.

In fact, I went into BIOS and set both my loudest fan (the "back fan" connected to the H80i radiator) profile to silent. But according to AIDA64 (which by the way only detects some of the fans), its rpm is still over 1800, gives off this "humming sound"...guess the only way is for me to get a headset and start shooting things on Splinter Cell...

I think this goes to the fundamental fan control issue...

Sherbat
Level 7
I know about the bios fan control, it's kind of silly. However, my point was you can use Fan Xpert 2 without AI Suite doing anything else. Just don't use anything but the Fan Xpert 2 'tab'. This is my experience with the Maximus VI Hero anyway, it would be nice if someone can confirm.
Maximus VI Hero / i5 4670K / GTX 760 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic M12II 650

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thanks Sherbat - yeah I tried that, but after the Fan Xpert 2 has run its process, it automatically pops up this message about the new CPU clock speed and how much performance has increased, which is what you'll get by using the 4-way optimization.

I've used the AI Suite 3 cleaner before but still couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I should think about formatting and reinstalling Windows...

Sherbat
Level 7
Did you use the "Fan Tuning" button in the Fan Xpert 2 tab? It does indeed generate a '4-way optimization report' with TPU values in it, but it does not touch them (the round button in the 4-way optimization tab does).
You might see several percent increase because standard bios values include ASUS Multicore Enhancement, which lets all cores run at the highest stock turbo bin, which is 3.9GHz for an i7-4770k, instead of the stock 4 core turbo, which is 3.7GHz.
Maximus VI Hero / i5 4670K / GTX 760 / 8GB DDR3 1600 / Seasonic M12II 650

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Ahhh...I see - so then perhaps I should give it another go. Failing which I might change the stock fans on the H80i, which is risky of course. Or I just wear headphones.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Before I reintall AI Suite 3, I do wish to take a step back and pose the question again: is it meant to be normal that, despite me choosing the "silent" profile in BIOS (0804) for my CHA_FAN#3, that it still spins in excess of 1800 rpm? The reason for asking again is that the same BIOS setting does allow me to slow down the fan speed (and hence the noise) for the other fans.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there are any 120mm fans out there that I can simply swap with the Corsair H80i stock radiator 120mm fans?

Again, many thanks in advance for any advice and support.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
I guess a issue with Fan Xpert 2 is that it does not detect all the fans in my PC case.

I use a Corsair H80i cooler, but I have connected all my fans directly into the motherboard. So whilst the ASUS BIOS (0804) can detect all 6 fans (being the CPU/pump fan + 2 fans attached to the H80i radiator + 2 front fans + 1 top chasis fan), Fan Exprt 2 only detects 4, and the CPU fan curve profile is also "greyed out" with a "!" in the background.

I've seen the YouTube demonstration by JJ of an older version of Fan Xpert 2 which worked a charm. Just wondering if there is anything I can do. Should I reinstall AI Suite 3?

Thanks everyone

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Hey guys - sorry for bringing this up, but I was thinking because:

(1) BIOS doesn't seem able to control the fan speed of my 2 Corsair H80i radiator fans,
(2) Fan Xpert 2 tends to report a lower temperate than other programs (I use AIDA 64 and Real Temp),

then should I:

(a) simply remove one of the fans at the Corsair H80i so there is only one fan; or
(b) get a separate fan controller?

Because right now frankly the noise bothers me, but at the same time I have doubts about AI Suite 3 and Fan Xpert 2's reliability.

Thanks for any advice.

DeltaViper4
Level 7
If you're fans are connected directly to the pump and THEN onto the motherboard then the only way for you to control them is through corsairs own "Corsair Link 2" software. And I hate to be the bringer of bad news but it doesn't play well with others. AIDA64, Fan XPert2, or any other monitoring software will conflict with one another. You could always plug the fan directly onto a motherboard fan header and control it via UEFI or Fan XPert. Corsair Link is also in beta for Windows 8.1 at the moment so you should be aware of that.

Every program will report different temps and rpms, ASUS"s AISuite only reports every second while others will report on the fly. AIDA64 and real temp are both well made programs and should be reading accurately.

You could absolutely get a good fan controller to handle the fans if the noise/software is bothering you. You could also grab some silent fans for the stock ones on the pump are notorious for being noisy. At the end of the day its you're build and you're preferences, experiment with settings and you will find the best configuration to suit you're needs.
Corsair 750D | Maximus VI Formula | 4770K @4.5 | H100i P/P | Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133
ASUS GTX 780 DCII | Intel 520 SSD 120GB x2 | EVGA Platinum 1000W | Windows 8.1