cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VI Extreme PCI Expres slot problem

cserba
Level 7
hey guys,
i would like to ask that is it a big problem if i am using the second pci expres slot not the first one.It was written on the mainboard that it is still pcie 16x.
When i was in the BIOS i noticed that a small chip temperature was at 40Celsius while the cpu and the motherboard was around 28. I am worried that if i will use my evga gtx 780 sc gpu in that slot i could overheat that small chip. The reason why i ammsticked with the second pcie slot is.Tha i have core i7 4770k cpu with a noctua nh d-14 air cooling.And if i am willing to put the gfx card to the first slot it will touch my gpu.
Thank you for your kind help.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can and it will not be a problem. The temp is not an issue on the small chip at all.

Enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You can and it will not be a problem. The temp is not an issue on the small chip at all.

Enjoy your system.

Okay, so it will never overheat or, damage everything. And why is this chip even there. If the bandwidth is the same as the first PCIe slot 16x

HiVizMan
Level 40
The plex chip (that is what I think you are talking about) is there to provide additional PCIe switching. The chip can run for hours at over 100'c
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
The plex chip (that is what I think you are talking about) is there to provide additional PCIe switching. The chip can run for hours at over 100'c

Yeah i was talking about the plex chip. 🙂 But for this reason if i will make heavy benchmark on my GFX it will not affect the chips temperature. Only if i was on SLI or 3-way SLI. Or am I wrong?

Chino
Level 15
The first and third PCIe lanes on your motherboard are the native lanes which means that these are the ones that go directly to your CPU bypassing the PLX chip. If you put your GPU in any another PCIe lane, you will have to go through the PLX chip. Normally, you shoul be using the native lanes. You shouldn't need to use the PLX chip until you're using a 3 way SLI/Crossfire configuration.

On a sidenote, the thermal shutdown for the PLX chip occurs when you hit 110C. So, as you can see, you still have a lot of headroom before that happens. 😉

Chino wrote:
The first and third PCIe lanes on your motherboard are the native lanes which means that these are the ones that go directly to your CPU bypassing the PLX chip. If you put your GPU in any another PCIe lane, you will have to go through the PLX chip. Normally, you shoul be using the native lanes. You shouldn't need to use the PLX chip until you're using a 3 way SLI/Crossfire configuration.

On a sidenote, the thermal shutdown for the PLX chip occurs when you hit 110C. So, as you can see, you still have a lot of headroom before that happens. 😉

Ok si i should go then with the third line pcie slot which is 8x speed able to handle.Rather then overheat the PLX chip.I think that the performance decrease will be 1 or 2%.