cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX Board Wont Boot - CPU Fan Error-Code:A2

FantomAU
Level 8
I just got my new system installed with watercooling.

Upon turning on the system, I get CPU Fan Error, Press F1 to reset settings or something similiar.

I check that I have the fan header connected to CPU_FAN and it is. But still says that.

So I take another 3pin fan and connect to the cpu_fan header and the fan doesnt run at all.

Plug the fan to another fan header on the board and fan still doesnt run.

Fan works fine when connected to fan controller. So its not the fan.

What could be wrong here?
4 REPLIES 4

8_Pack
Level 12
Are you shorting something on the back of the board which is causing this??? Is the fan your using over 1 amp as this wil cause problems on the headers??

You can get your system to boot by going into the Fan monitoring area in Bios and disabling the CPU fan monitoring.

Zka17
Level 16
If I recall correctly, the CPU_Fan headers are working only with 4-pin PWM fans... at least when you try to control them...

It also may happen that the fan's rpm is too low, so it's triggering a warning... by default, I think, the minimum is 600rpm - you also can set this lower...

I have the same issue with my Maximus extreme. If you go to the monitoring section and fan control you can set the CPU fan to ignore and you will not get the message any more. I hope this helps.
Maximus X Apex-16GB DDR4-Trident 3200C14-EVGA 1080 TI FTW3-500 GB M.2 Samsung Evo-Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB-2X Samsung 850 SSD 500GB-Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Essenbe wrote:
I have the same issue with my Maximus extreme. If you go to the monitoring section and fan control you can set the CPU fan to ignore and you will not get the message any more. I hope this helps.

anyone already manage to fix this problem? I just got this problem now, and its so annoying, got stuck in bios screen. doesn't do anything, and i got a code A2. If anyone can please help me, that would be awesome. Thank you.