cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus ranger reboot loop issue

EmeraldAegis
Level 7
Hi All,

I'm having some really weird issues with my build that I can't seem to get to the bottom of. A few months back I moved house and had to move my pc. I didn't disassemble it, I moved it whole. When I finally got round to setting up my pc/desk a few weeks ago, I noticed that sometimes when I turned the system on it would reboot itself several times before booting up windows properly. Then I noticed a message saying 'Overclocking CPU failed' on the boot screen, even though I don't overclock my pc. A couple of days after this, my pc just refused to boot up. I would press the power button the fans would spin and I could the led's light up, but I would get nothing on my monitor.

So this is where I decided to breadboard my motherboard. I have it on a cardboard box and and I removed everything and slowly added the parts back one by one, except the GPU and one of the RAM sticks. No matter what I do, I seem to have the same consistent behaviour:

I press the power button and the motherboard powers for 1 second and then shuts down, then it powers up again, fans are spinning at full until they settle. The QCode is set to 00. I can't see anything on the monitor (connected to the onboard gfx) and it stays in this state for as long I have the power on. Then I press the clear CMOS button and it restarts. At this point it seems to boot up correctly and if I have my SSD connected windows will also startup. When I restart my pc, it powers on and shuts down like above and goes to QCODE 00 again until I press the clear CMOS button again. I can continue to do this for about 5-10 minutes until pressing the clear CMOS button no longer works and all I get is QCODE 00.

What on earth is going on here? I'm assuming that because I can startup windows sometimes, there cannot be anything wrong with the hardware. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The details of my build are as follows:

Case: Cooler Master HAF X V2, Black, Full ATX
Power: 850W Corsair RM Series RM Series, F
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER Intel Z97,
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K, 1150, Haswell,
CPU Fan: Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU Water Cooler
Ram: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
Hard Drive: 500GB Samsung MZ-7TE500BW 840 EVO B x 2
GPU: 4GB MSI GTX 980

Cheers
Jaz
1 REPLY 1

richac
Level 7
you made sure atx connection snapped on firm? no lose connections? reseated the cpu? cleared cmos by taking out battery?

you said you didn't remove the gpu? does board have onboard graphics you can try. if not just reseat the gpu too.