cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus IV Extreme overclocking problem.

bram98
Level 7
So i just got a Maximus IV yesterday, buying it for the reason of overclocking.
I followed a couple of guides to get an impression about how everything works, and i think i understand most of it.

In my BIOS i use the turbo ratio limit to set the mulitplier to 48, obviously resulting in 4.8 GHz
This all shows fine in the BIOS itself, but in Windows, it just wont show.

I understand it will only show under load, since i used the Turbo ratio, but even when running Prime95, CPU-Z only shows a multiplier of 33.

System:

Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Intel Core i5 2500k
MSI Radeon HD 7870
8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Aerocool GT-700 700W PSU
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

So, if you have some time to spare, please help me out with this issue 🙂
31 REPLIES 31

Nate152
Hello bram98

Try setting the turbo ratio to auto and setting the core ratio to 40. Try cpu core voltage on auto.
Does it show 4000MHz in cpu - z??

bram98
Level 7
I will try this when i get home 🙂
Changing this will result in a constant 4 GHz right? Since it's the Core ratio and not the Turbo ratio.

Nate152

I have put my CPU ratio to 40, like you said, but CPU-Z still shows a x33 multiplier.
This following seems logical to me aswell, but by changing the CPU ratio the Turbo ratio changed with it to 40.

Thanks for your time man ;), it's really appreciated!

Nate152
Ok try this:

go into the bios and hit F5 to set defaults. On the extreme tweaker tab set the ai overclock tuner to manual and sync all cores. Set the cpu core ratio to 40 then F10 and Enter.

is it showing 4000MHz in cpu - z now?

I'm gonna sound like a total noob right now, but what do you mean with sync all cores?
If i put all the cores to the same multiplier (40) seperately and then put the cpu ratio to 40, it will change back to all cores multiplier 40.

This didn't help.

Nate152
Let the turbo ratio to auto, change only the multiplier to 40, do not change anything else, F10 and Enter.

When you sync all cores you change one core to 40 and it changes all cores to 40.

Give it one more try.

I set the CPU Ratio to 40, Hit F10 and saved. CPU-Z still shows x33.

I'll say sorry on behalf of my MB and CPU for being such a pain in the ass 😛

Nate152