cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS download page

Matt_B
Level 9
Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this in, I'm having a hard time understanding the download page for my mobo. It is not clear as to what I'm supposed to download, atleast to my eyes. For example expanding BIOS opens a list of different versions of fixes. The top seeming to be dated the most recent and the bottom the oldest but each version has different fixes. Is the top one needed or is each one needed? Does the top one contain whatever it fixes and whatever the previous versions fixed? And the same goes for pretty much everything else on the page, SATA, AUDIO, LAN. I don't want to download and install something not needed or overlap and fixes by installing old and new fixes.

Also, which download link is the one to use? Global (DLM) or Global? Global (DLM) wants to install Akamai NetSession interface and Global alone downloads a file. Little confused here. Right now I'm on all disc drivers and updates but want the current fixes deffinitly. Any help would be great.
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
The most recent is cumulative so you only need that one. DLM is download manager which can be useful if you have problems maintaining a connection but the regular one always works fine for me.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The most recent is cumulative so you only need that one. DLM is download manager which can be useful if you have problems maintaining a connection but the regular one always works fine for me.

Thanks for responding, a question to that though. Clicking Global for the most current BIOS fix downloads a zip which contains a .ROM file that windows does not know how to open and upon searching the web finds nothing.

xeromist
The ROM is an image of the BIOS. The best way to use it is to format a thumb drive with FAT32 and put the image on the drive. Boot the computer with the drive plugged in and then go to the Easy Flash in the BIOS to update.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Matt_B
Level 9
Ok so let me get this straight, unizip that .ROM file onto a flash drive? Then reboot with the flash drive inserted into a usb port and then go into bios and use the easy bios flash and it will update it that way?

Necrosan
Level 12
Yep. That's exactly what will happen.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

WARNING 1: The usb key should be in FAT format, NOT ntfs
WARNING 2: the rom update file should be the only file on the usb key
WARNING 3: an Asus phone rep told me that the utility aflash2.exe on the download page should be used to flash the bios update
WARNING 4: phone reps don't always know what they are talking about (in reference to warning 3)

A wise suggestion: if you don't need a bios update to fix a problem, don't do it.

denismx wrote:
WARNING 1: The usb key should be in FAT format, NOT ntfs
WARNING 2: the rom update file should be the only file on the usb key
WARNING 3: an Asus phone rep told me that the utility aflash2.exe on the download page should be used to flash the bios update
WARNING 4: phone reps don't always know what they are talking about (in reference to warning 3)

A wise suggestion: if you don't need a bios update to fix a problem, don't do it.

I went and got the updated versions of everything for my mobo from the ASUS website, I usually do this with my boards just to have the latest fixes for everything. I just figured do them all BIOS being one of them. I am noticing a crashing problem in a game I play online so now I'm getting all up to date to rule any potential problems out. I am leary about installing something in that way, through the BIOS on a thumb drive as apposed to normal installation like anything else on that page. Any risk to doing it like that?

Necrosan
Level 12
No risk at all - it's the main method of updating the BIOS on this board, and years ahead of making bootable DOS USB sticks to flash with a cryptic tool with a ton of command line flags.

It really doesn't get easier then dropping the BIOS .ROM onto a USB stick, rebooting to BIOS (with USB stick still plugged in), going to the "tools" page in the BIOS and finally selecting the update tool.

It's perfectly safe and the recommended way to do this - the tool is smart enough to determine whether a file you supply it is correct or not.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2