cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Crosshair V Formula BIOS Guide - Overclocking

Raja
Level 13
http://rog.asus.com/7112011/guides/asus-crosshair-v-formula-bios-guide-overclocking/

Before we start, check out JJ’s videos covering various aspects of the ASUS Crosshair V Formula and the ASUS 9** motherboard series:

Same drill as our Intel P67/Z68 guide, we’re going to list the important overclocking related BIOS functions and provide a concise descriptive text next to each to de-mystify their meaning and conditions of use.

Upon entering UEFI BIOS, you’ll need to head over to the AI Tweaker section to embark on any overclocking:

AMD’s 9 series chipset gets UEFI BIOS

Load Extreme OC Profile: Contains pre-set BIOS profiles to help overclock the system if you don’t wish to experiment with settings yourself. The profiles used are general fine for normal use, though may set certain voltages a little higher than absolutely necessary simply to ensure that the profiles work with a wide range of processors and memory. If you don’t plan on spending copious level of time in the BIOS fiddling with various parameters, then these profiles will help you overclock the system with minimal fuss.

OC Tuner: Our automated routine that overclocks a system based upon cooling and components. When selected the system will run a series of tests during system boot (do not be alarmed if your system reboots a few times after selecting this setting and saving and exiting BIOS – that’s normal). After the procedure is complete, you may wish to enter the operating system and run your preferred stability tests to confirm stable operation. Do bear in mind though that for compatibility purposes OC Tuner will use memory module JEDEC timing values.

CPU Ratio: Sets the CPU core multiplier ratio, which is multiplied by the “CPU Bus/PEG Frequency” setting to obtain CPU core frequency. The current and target processor speeds are shown in the top-left of the AI Tweaker menu.

AMD Turbo Core Technology: Sets the Turbo multiplier ratio. Turbo Core Technology allows the processor to ramp its core frequency to a higher level during software loading provided that the thermal design power ratings are not breached (by default).

This setting can be used to over-ride the default Turbo Core multiplier ratio (TDP permitting). The multiplier values available for this function are dependent upon the processor used. If using a manual setting that is higher than the default Turbo Ratio, care must be taken to ensure that processor core voltage is adequate enough to sustain Turbo Core frequency speeds. *To be Updated at a later date *

CPU Bus/PEG Frequency: Sets the reference clock frequency from which the processor, memory, memory controller and the HT bus are derived. Adjusting this value allows granular control over these bus frequencies which can then be offset using multiplier control of each corresponding bus to ensure that the functional limitations of a bus are not breached while overclocking the system.

PCIe Frequency: Directly sets the PCIe bus operating frequency. Manipulation of this setting is not required for most overclocking.

Memory Frequency: Sets the memory bus multiplier ratio and is used in conjunction with the value entered in the CPU/Peg Frequency setting to obtain the memory operating frequency. The range of available multipliers ratios depends upon the processor used while usage is dependant on the operational limitations of the processor and memory modules.

CPU/NB Frequency: Sets the multiplier ratio of the integrated memory controller (on the processor die) and is used in conjunction with the value entered in the CPU/Peg Frequency setting to obtain the memory controller operating frequency. The range of available multipliers ratios depends upon the processor used while usage is dependent on the operational limitations of the processor.

HT Link Speed: Sets the multiplier ratio of the HT bus and is used in conjunction with the value entered in the CPU/Peg Frequency setting to obtain HT link operating frequency. The range of available multipliers ratios depends upon the processor used (and which CPU/NB Frequency ratio is used) while usage is dependent on the operational limitations of the processor and motherboard.

CPU Spread Spectrum: Modulates the processor clock to reduce radiated noise emissions – disable for overclocking as clock modulation reduces logic sampling margins.

PCIe Spread Spectrum: Modulates the PCIe clock to reduce radiated noise emissions – disable for overclocking as clock modulation reduces logic sampling margins.

EPU Power Saving Mode: Sets the load dependant phase switching conditions; the VRM is made up of multiple phases (each phase has at least two FETs). During light-load conditions FETs can be switched off to save power – setting EPU to Enabled allows this to happen. If EPU is disabled all phases will remain on, regardless of system loading.

DRAM Timing Control: Takes us to the DRAM timing sub-menu, where primary, secondary and tertiary memory timings can be set.
223 REPLIES 223

Great Writeup!! Finally sat down to read it and wish I did sooner!!
AMD 1100T 4255mhz
Asus Crosshair V formula
kuhler 920 modded for 2x120 radiators
corsair dominator gt 4x2GB 1866mhz 9-9-9-24 2t(stock)
msi gtx560ti twin frozr ii oc edition
corsair gs800 psu 800watt
corsair f120ssd series2/seagate 1tb 7200rpm hdd
rosewill blackhawk case - Asus cd/dvd burner
win7 pro 64bit - 1920x1080 display

sir em Arindam frm India ... recently i've upgraded my system ...

my new configs r ...

1. Processor - AMD FX - 8150 - 3.60 Ghz with Antec kuhler h2o 620 cooler
2. Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula ( BIOS updated to 1301 )
3. Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB (2 x 4 GB) (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9)
4. Gpu - SAPPHIRE HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
5. HDD - 560 Gb ( Hard disk r 5 yrs old )
6. Psu - Coolermaster 850w Silent pro .

now my problem is that when ever em playin MW3 or Binary Domain or Maxpayne 3 or any other games ... my game playin freezes for 1 to 2 min ... after that game starts normally ... ( freezing issue while playin games ) and 1 more thing ... my cpu temperature rises up ... i hve applied coolermaster fusion 400 thermal paste ... but still the same ... freezing ... while playing games ... n also some graphic fault in the games ... n also sound ...

and i dont knw how to overclock my machine ... plz suggest me over clockin ... na plz help me out in this freezing ... its my requst 2 u all the members n administrator ...

Raja
Level 13
Hi Drakonniz,

No problem, we are here to help. Sorry that you are having the issues.

I think the issue here is with the 16GB of memory. First off you can set a 2T Command Rate in BIOS for the memory modules - this will aid stability for now. To get 16GB fully stable at DDR3-1600 may require some tinkering with the drive strength settings in BIOS (this can be laborious). It will mean going through each of those settings in turn (for both channels) and then running stress tests to monitor the impact on system stability.

As a quick debug, if possible, it might be worth taking two of the memory modules out of the board, setting DDR3-1600 as you have been in BIOS, use a 2T Command Rate and see if the system still fails in games etc. Before that, you can also try HCI Memtest and Prime95 to see if the system is stable.

AMD's memory controllers require manual tuning with certain DIMMs, and cannot always achieve the same memory frequency as Intel's processors so there is some truth to paying attention to what platform the memory was binned on.

Also, can you tell me what BIOS version you are running please?

-Raja

liberato87
Level 7
hi guys
I've got a question.

On the crosshair IV I used k10stat for settings the pstate and I could run my thuban in idle at 800 and 1.2v.
Now i noticed that k10stat doesnt work, maybe because the new 990fx is not supported yet.

I tryied also enabling the cool n quiet but I'm not satisfied becuase it runs cpu in idle at 800 but 1,392 (I've set in bios 1,425, cpu @ 4ghz).
There is another option to reduce the voltages?
I also tried phenommrstweaker but it doesnt work too..

Thank you
Corsair OBSIDIAN 800d
Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER grand 750W
Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1,296v
A-data XPG+ 2200 C8
Msi sli GTX 560ti TWIN FROZRII OC
CRUCIAL realssd C300 128gb
SAMSUNG 2233RZ 120hz

liquid cooling by EK

Retired
Not applicable
Hey Raja,

Thanks for taking such a great attitude toward helping. It's something I am not used to I'm afraid. My bios information is as follows : (information all from ASUSTEK update software v.7.18.02 )

Model : Asus IV Formula
Version : 1902
Date : 02/17/2011
BIOS Type : AMI
BIOS Size : 2048K

Perhaps that's too much information, but I prefer to be thorough. One update tho, my system seems to be a bit more stable than yesterday after I tweaked with 2 sticks of ram then 4. I lowered my CS/ODT drive to 1.25 and I got less noise in my speakers, but that was only after raising several voltages ( northbrdige, dimm, cpu/nb ). The only problem is that after about 2 hours of playing 2 Borderlands clients, my system BSOD'd on me. I suppose that is an improvement over Black screening. Just before this very post, I lowered my CS/ODT to 1 and lowered ADDR/CMD to 1.25 and the noise got worse again.. going to go back and tweak a touch more. I did notice that raising my HT voltage even a touch destabilized the system so I set it back to [AUTO].

I feel like such a noob.. 😕 This computer is like going from a Model T to a 2011 Ford mustang. Atleast I'm trying tho.. hehe. Thanks again for helping..

Drakonniz wrote:
Hey Raja,

Thanks for taking such a great attitude toward helping. It's something I am not used to I'm afraid. My bios information is as follows : (information all from ASUSTEK update software v.7.18.02 )

Model : Asus IV Formula
Version : 1902
Date : 02/17/2011
BIOS Type : AMI
BIOS Size : 2048K

Perhaps that's too much information, but I prefer to be thorough. One update tho, my system seems to be a bit more stable than yesterday after I tweaked with 2 sticks of ram then 4. I lowered my CS/ODT drive to 1.25 and I got less noise in my speakers, but that was only after raising several voltages ( northbrdige, dimm, cpu/nb ). The only problem is that after about 2 hours of playing 2 Borderlands clients, my system BSOD'd on me. I suppose that is an improvement over Black screening. Just before this very post, I lowered my CS/ODT to 1 and lowered ADDR/CMD to 1.25 and the noise got worse again.. going to go back and tweak a touch more. I did notice that raising my HT voltage even a touch destabilized the system so I set it back to [AUTO].

I feel like such a noob.. 😕 This computer is like going from a Model T to a 2011 Ford mustang. Atleast I'm trying tho.. hehe. Thanks again for helping..

Hi Drakkoniz,

Sounds like you are still on the initial release BIOS. What I would do is go down to one memory module, and flash to 0506 which you can find under the download tab here:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/Crosshair_V_Formula/

After flashing that BIOS, what I would do is manually set DDR3-1333 and 2T Command Rate. Reboot into UEFI, power down at AC then insert the second DRAM module. Power back up and let's see how stable that is before we move upwards.

I have a couple of 8GB kits arriving today from GSkill (16GB total, CAS 9 rated and DDR3-1600) so will see if I can get that stuff stable, if so I will document the process in the guide. Might not be that different from what you are using there.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
I believe I should clear up a misunderstanding.. lol

While your idea works perfectly fine for the Crosshair FIVE (V) board Raja, I have the Croshair FOUR (IV) board. The 0506 bios is for the Crosshair V, and I have the Crosshair 1902 bios which is the newest for my board. I didn't notice at first this thread was for the Crosshair V because I was tired frustrated and not thinking. The information I found here was a starting guide and I signed up for the forum thread for help without realizing it was the Crosshair V thread. If you can still give advice on the Crosshair IV board, please do as it would be greatly appreciated. If you notice, I posted all along that my board was a four and not a five. So, we both missed that tiny bit of info all along. Sorry for the confusion.

Drakonniz wrote:
I believe I should clear up a misunderstanding.. lol

While your idea works perfectly fine for the Crosshair FIVE (V) board Raja, I have the Croshair FOUR (IV) board. The 0506 bios is for the Crosshair V, and I have the Crosshair 1902 bios which is the newest for my board. I didn't notice at first this thread was for the Crosshair V because I was tired frustrated and not thinking. The information I found here was a starting guide and I signed up for the forum thread for help without realizing it was the Crosshair V thread. If you can still give advice on the Crosshair IV board, please do as it would be greatly appreciated. If you notice, I posted all along that my board was a four and not a five. So, we both missed that tiny bit of info all along. Sorry for the confusion.

I already noticed, that should make no difference really Drakonniz to the actual advice on the memory timings above. I suspect that is all it is.

-Raja

liberato87 wrote:
hi guys
I've got a question.

On the crosshair IV I used k10stat for settings the pstate and I could run my thuban in idle at 800 and 1.2v.
Now i noticed that k10stat doesnt work, maybe because the new 990fx is not supported yet.

I tryied also enabling the cool n quiet but I'm not satisfied becuase it runs cpu in idle at 800 but 1,392 (I've set in bios 1,425, cpu @ 4ghz).
There is another option to reduce the voltages?
I also tried phenommrstweaker but it doesnt work too..

Thank you

I think we will have to wait a while beofre third party tools all work. Might be after Bulldozer launches that these tools are updated.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I think we will have to wait a while beofre third party tools all work. Might be after Bulldozer launches that these tools are updated.

-Raja

thank you for reply
I found out that

- if setting cpu vcore in manual from bios
k10stat doesnt work and also CPU speed would drop down with CnQ, but volts would remain constant.

- if setting cpu vcore in AUTO or offset
k10stat works properly and also cnq reduce voltages
Corsair OBSIDIAN 800d
Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER grand 750W
Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1,296v
A-data XPG+ 2200 C8
Msi sli GTX 560ti TWIN FROZRII OC
CRUCIAL realssd C300 128gb
SAMSUNG 2233RZ 120hz

liquid cooling by EK