cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Anti-Surge Protection Shutting Down System -- Faulty PSU?

riesscar
Level 10
Greetings,

I have recently had three system shut-downs, wtith the message that, "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply".

My system specs are:

MB: RIVE-BE
CPU: 4930K @4400 MHz
RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws Z @ 2400MHz
PSU: Corsair ax1200i
GPU's: 2x GTX 980's in SLI
Case: Corsair 900D
Cooling: GPU, CPU & Board Liquid Cooled

Normally I would just go ahead and RMA my PSU, but I wondered if it was necessarily the root of the issue. My system is connected to an APC Uninterruptible Power Supply -- an XS1200VA -- and, although the system was not running on battery, I wonder if the UPS is delivering either insufficient or unstable power. Is this a possibility? Are there any other factors that I should take into account, or should I just assume that the PSU is, indeed, faulty?

Thanks for any advice,

Carson
4 REPLIES 4

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
It could be the APC.. Unless it uses sine wave for power delivery.. You can find that out by looking up the specs on APC's website.. Also, if I was running 2 980's with than overclock on the CPU.. I would go with a 1200w to be safe.
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Raja
Level 13
riesscar wrote:
Greetings,

I have recently had three system shut-downs, wtith the message that, "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply".

My system specs are:

MB: RIVE-BE
CPU: 4930K @4400 MHz
RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws Z @ 2400MHz
PSU: Corsair ax1200i
GPU's: 2x GTX 980's in SLI
Case: Corsair 900D
Cooling: GPU, CPU & Board Liquid Cooled

Normally I would just go ahead and RMA my PSU, but I wondered if it was necessarily the root of the issue. My system is connected to an APC Uninterruptible Power Supply -- an XS1200VA -- and, although the system was not running on battery, I wonder if the UPS is delivering either insufficient or unstable power. Is this a possibility? Are there any other factors that I should take into account, or should I just assume that the PSU is, indeed, faulty?

Thanks for any advice,

Carson

Which voltage and temperature monitoring utilities do you have installed and running on the system?

riesscar
Level 10
It was the UPS. I plugged into a power strip, booted and then ran an OCCT PSU burn test without issue... whereas before the system would shut down upon launching any stress test.

Carson

Raja
Level 13
If the UPS has a monitoring utility, try disabling/uninstalling it. If there is any polling going on with multiple tools on the system, the Super IO will mis-read, and this can generate a shutdown. If that happens to be the case, disable Anti-Surge, then reinstall the APC software.