cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied memory voltage higher than set voltage on Maximus VI Hero

mmaestro
Level 7
Hello all.
I have a system I'm in the process of testing having just built with a Maximus VI Hero board, i7 4770K, and G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400.
The issue I'm having is I'm a bit concerned that the voltage being applied to the memory when using the XMP profile is a bit higher than the already high 1.65V in the profile: if the memory on the board is set to run at 1.65V, I'm seeing 1.665-1.670 on the memory. I can drop the voltage down and see the applied voltage drop by roughly the same amount, so a setting of 1.64 yields roughly 1.655-1.660. My understanding was that going above 1.65V over the long term (I need the system to last 3-4 years) is not a good thing.
I guess the first question is, is that true? What's a good, long term safe voltage?
And second, how concerned should I be that the voltage being applied to my memory is higher than the voltage I've set? Should I be looking at something in particular to change to try to drop that down so they match, is there an issue with the board? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

Raja
Level 13
You have nothing to worry about there. The monitoring IC will just measure at a certain point of the power plane and that can be higher than at the IC on the DIMM (due to interconnect losses).

The voltage Intel stipulates as maximum are based on voltages at the processor land/pads - that is after all resistive losses (Ohm's law). The voltage needs to be set higher than 1.65V to ensure the actual voltage at the DRAM modules is close to 1.65V under all loading conditions.

Thanks for your quick reply, it's appreciated. It's a shame that the board doesn't display exactly what's reaching the memory, but I guess what's most important is that it's running at a safe voltage.