cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying background noise from mic

Bal
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I have been experiencing problems with the sound and mic settings of Maximus VII Formula. Although I installed latest drivers etc. I have an irritating background noise from mic.
Please check the video for that noise:

Firstly I'm unable to access "ROG" sound and mic settings. My settings are adjusted via below windows and are:

This is not what Maximus VII offers. It had an advanced settings app.(SupremeFX) I contacted asus and they told me when I install the sound driver it should be installed automatically.
I have the SonicRadar though.

That really frustrated me, not being able to find a solution that is..

Background noise is caused by Mikrofonverstarkung option but when I lower it, mic is so silent, others almost cannot hear me.

I use an asus rog orion headset, windows 8.1 64 bit. What's the problem please help meh!
Asus GTX 980 Strix OC III Intel Core I7-4790K 4GHz III Maximus VII Formula
Corsair Vengeance Pro Rot 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 MHz III Rog Swift PG278Q

True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
8 REPLIES 8

Sparax
Level 9
Hi Bal

The background noise you are hearing is probably because you have your microphone playback volume too high.

Go to - Sound / Playback Tab / Speakers / Properties / Levels Tab / and set microphone volume to 20%

(Note: this will not reduce the microphone volume which other people hear only what you hear in your own speakers)

Also having your Boost at 30dB will introduce some noise do you really need it that high?

I'd be lying if I said I'm glad not to be the only one with the same agony.
I've seen problems like this posted all over the internet, and still couldn't find a solution yet.

My main rig has a Maximus VII Ranger in its belly, running Win7 64bit. Good board that one, only the pink jack drives
me crazy. Exact same issue as Bal.
Any mic I connect to the integrated sound card, I have to literally shout into the receiver for the other party
to hear me. :mad: There's the sloppy workaround of cranking the mic boost to +30dB, but that increases both the
microphone and CPU noise levels, so there's no real improvement here. The SupremeFx voice enhancements
help a little, but the error is fundamentally still there. The input sensitivity is horrible. No matter if front or rear panel
jack, both are the same in this aspect. I've tried numerous drivers, even the Windows default one, to no avail
(they're all pretty much the same).

Just for comparison, I plugged both mics in my other PC, sporting a dirt cheap (~$40) Gigabyte motherboard to test.
On mic level 50 without any boost, my voice was very clearly audible, even loud. No noticeable noise whatsoever. 😞

Now, this is a $200, premium category ASUS motherboard, and it seems like I have to use the USB sound card
workaround to be able use any voice chat actively. I had the exact same problem with my previous board,
the Crosshair V Formula-Z. On this board, it's worse though. I thought it was an isolated case. Oh, naive me.
With a product of this category, especially considering the repeated nature of the failure, marketed with
SupremeFX, a dedicated-level sound card as a selling point
, this is unacceptable. :mad:

I'll probably have to create my own thread, because apparently these errors never seem to get the attention
they deserve.

@ Sparax: thanks for advise dude. I tried that but it didn't work.

@ brdz: sorry to hear that mate. Yes unfortunately it seems as if they don't care. I hoped someone from asus would look into this thread.

Margus
Level 7
Thats whay i not use supremefx anymore too mutch issues with mic. i have SB RECON 3D replaced capacitors because too old card but it work mutch better then realtek alc1150.
How mutch i configured supreme fx to get similar results with recon 3d i did not got near of quality i tested many reaaltek drivers always i had mic problems its problem too mutch metallic noise or too low or too noisy.
You configure it wrong place make sure you have sonicradar plugins r2 installed you get later to sonic studio. And there is cpanel in notification bar whre you can configure your supreme fx.

Bal
Level 7
can you exactly tell me how I access to that SupremeFX.. step by step. I used to have it but after some update it's lost

C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe

You have known issue happened to me few times also different drivers maybe bring it back to area.

Bal
Level 7
UPDATE 31.3

PC just upgraded itself to windows 10 and supremeFX started to work. Eventually when I enabled sonic studio feature the background noise is fixed.

In your case a clean format can fix the problem.. I don't know why system did not recognize supremeFX.. very annoying. very very annoying.

At least that horrible sound is gone now.

Nate152
Hi guys,

I'm using the supremeFX 2015 with sonic studio II, there is a setting for your mic called "Noise Gate", try playing with this and see if you can get rid of the background noise.

Sonic studio should install with the realtek audio driver.