cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding second SSD

Arabicuser
Level 7
Hi again,

So i have some SSDs that i would like to add them on my rigs as second drive, but how can i set them to be used as second helping drive, say for just games or for cache/pagefile? Many told me no need for second SSD, but i wanted to have the second even unnecessary, but how can leave the second to be as backup apps maybe, or to make it even as another main drive but only for games, i tend to keep the first one for OS and few apps only, i don't have big sizes so it is not good to put OS+Apps+games all in one SSD, i know the storage and another data files i can use HDDs i have.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX Titan Windforce
Patriot Viper 32GB[4x 8GB] 2133MHz
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB 7200rpm
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can simply add the SSD to a SATA port and you can start using it......in control panel, system and security, system, advanced settings you can manage pagefile

Any games you download just install them to that second disk....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You can simply add the SSD to a SATA port and you can start using it......in control panel, system and security, system, advanced settings you can manage pagefile

Any games you download just install them to that second disk....

Ah cool, i will do that.

Now i am not sure if i should manage pagefile to be on that second SSD or to a HDD?

There is a big issue i faced yesterday, i re-installed Win 7 on Samsung 256GB SSD i was using before i use the new one, but i re-installed it after i reformat it, i did format that disk several times because i was doing tests on it, but now when i did installed Win 7 i get that blue screen failure all the time, did format it again but by Mac for zero secure erase also [i did format all the time from Parted Magic], again no luck and has that failure, so now what i can do with this SSD? Can i reformat it and use it as second drive or it may fail with my games installed on it or it may fail with the main new SSD too?
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
When does the BSOD happen...just on entering windows? Have you set AHCI in BIOS? or IDE or RAID?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
When does the BSOD happen...just on entering windows? Have you set AHCI in BIOS? or IDE or RAID?

Yes, on entering Windows.

AHCI is always maybe permanent enabled in BIOS, so it is not that.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

HiVizMan
Level 40
May I ask a stupid question, why would you format the SSD?

If you are planning on installing OS on that disk simple clear it and let the OS install do the rest. If you are using that disk to act as a normal hard drive (just quicker) simply delete all the data and that is all you need to do. Not a big fan of formatting SSD's myself.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
May I ask a stupid question, why would you format the SSD?

If you are planning on installing OS on that disk simple clear it and let the OS install do the rest. If you are using that disk to act as a normal hard drive (just quicker) simply delete all the data and that is all you need to do. Not a big fan of formatting SSD's myself.

Well, i am idiot user and just don't know what i am doing, i re-format SSD by secure erase thinking that it will reset it or whatever, so i try always having like-new SSD ready before i install OS over again and again, i keep doing tests and finally i found it what things i must install and what things i shouldn't care much about it, but now it sounds as i damaged the SSD, so i re-format t for last time and i will not use it for OS+App anymore, i will keep it as second SSD for gaming unless it will fail even as a second drive.

Now with the new SSD installed, i will not care much about highest fastest performance, i just install OS+app and drivers needed that i tested already with no issues and i will pass drivers i don't need.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ah right you did it right, secure erase is a different thing from format to me.

Once you have done that your hard drive will need to be made active. This you do in OS. Use the Disk Management tool for this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ah right you did it right, secure erase is a different thing from format to me.

Once you have done that your hard drive will need to be made active. This you do in OS. Use the Disk Management tool for this.

Ok, the question is, after i had that BSOD or blue screen error twice after i did secure erase, does that mean my SSD corrupted already or i can try and use it as second SSD only not for OS and use it normal and do what you said from Disk Management? How can i check the health of this drive now if it is working fine or it will have issues always after many secure erasing?
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7-3930K
H100i
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2x
Corsair AX1200
Cooler Master HAF X

DooRules
Level 10
I just use format on my ssd's, no need to be using SE all the time. To be a little more clear I let windows do the quick format during install, or use diskpart to setup the drive for install. It has not given me any issues whatsoever.
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K