MrAirj
Level 7
i7 6800k @ 4.2ghz
32gb 3200mhz
Asus strix x99
Asus gtx 1070
Samsung SSD
EVGA 850 Platinum

I'm at a loss here. I was working with a bunch of excel and word windows open and then out of nowhere everything just cut off like the plug was pulled. It wouldn't start back up until cycling the PSU.

Recently upgraded from a 1060 to a 1070 for triple monitor gaming.

The overclock is at 4.2ghz with everything on auto and the ram set to 3200mhz and 1.35v per it's requirement. I'm on BIOS 1401. Running all default settings right now.

Thank you for your help.
38 REPLIES 38

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS and proceed to test your system at stock defaults. If everything is fine, then your problem was caused by an unstable overclock.

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and proceed to test your system at stock defaults. If everything is fine, then your problem was caused by an unstable overclock.

Ok will do.

Menthol
Level 14
What Chino says, if your memory or CPU are overclocked from default settings then your not running all default settings even if you left most settings on default, and your overclock is not stable and needs tuning

Yeah I meant to say I removed the overclock and was running default settings after the crash. I'v now reset the CMOS too.

I hope it's just an overclock issue, I will leave it completely stock for a while. BTW just tried Ultra and even High detail but it was unplayable in Forza 6. Is that expected? :confused:

Thanks

Nate152
Hi MrAirj

What resolution are your three monitors and how many Frames Per Second are you getting in Forza 6 and other games?

If your pc is stable at default settings it's likely instability with your ram causing the shutdowns in which case you'll need to raise the vccio voltage, cpu system agent voltage and possibly the Dram voltage.

When you set your ram try setting the vccio and cpu system agent voltage to 1.20v - 1.25v starting with both at 1.20v.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi MrAirj

What resolution are your three monitors and how many Frames Per Second are you getting in Forza 6 and other games?

If your pc is stable at default settings it's likely instability with your ram causing the shutdowns in which case you'll need to raise the vccio voltage, cpu system agent voltage and possibly the Dram voltage.

When you set your ram try setting the vccio and cpu system agent voltage to 1.20v - 1.25v starting with both at 1.20v.

Hello,

The monitors are 1920x1200. In Forza 6 (only one monitor) it's basically unplayable now; it would start at 130-150fps with everything maxed but then freeze and lag badly. Even the menu lags.
BF1 in 5760x1200 I get 60fps or so. No issues here.

Idk even how to tell if it's stable at this point. At 4.2ghz with voltages on auto, ram set to 3200mhz dram at 1.35v I did OCCT for 7 hours, hwbotx264 , realbench, prime95, memtest for +600% and it takes a crap on me while typing in a Word doc LOL

Menthol
Level 14
For X-99 with BW-E, System Agent voltage is best around 1.0 to 1.05 volts every memory kit I've used 1.05 volts has been stable on my boards, RVE and RVE-10, 3200 to 3400 mhz 32 to 64GB, but every system is a little different
http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/06/17/broadwell-e-overclocking-guide/
As Nate says, what resolution? and are you gaming on one monitor, or surround? you should game very well up to 2560X1440 on one monitor

Nate152
Which ram kit are you using and is it a single 32GB kit? Did you bump up the vccio and cpu system agent voltages when setting your ram to 3200MHz ?

Nate152 wrote:
Which ram kit are you using and is it a single 32GB kit? Did you bump up the vccio and cpu system agent voltages when setting your ram to 3200MHz ?

Gskillz tridentz 32gb kit*
This is my first computer build let alone overclock. Literally all I changed was what I mentioned. I didn't use the xmp profile either, just selected the ram frequency. *