cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good reason not to combine memory kits!

rEd2k
Level 7
Hi there, I hope someone out there is having a similar issue and maybe we can help each other. I have the latest bios for the RIVE (4403) and with everything at default values. If I set the XMP mode for my ram, it fails to post -grrrr! The Auto setting in the bios for the memory works fine, but of course I only get 1333 speed 😞

I had a 3930k before this and it worked like a charm. I imagine they havent yet made this bios compatible for the ram/cpu combo I'm using? Just a guess... I've had similar problems in the past and a bios udpate always fixes it, or some times I can do a simple tweak to make it work untill a new bios come out. Any ideas out there?

My ram is 4X kits of G Skill Trident-X F3-2400C10D-16GTX (64 Gigs total)

Thanks in advance 😉
27 REPLIES 27

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi rEd2k 🙂

I suspect that even the reputedly stronger IMC on the 4930K is unable to cope with running 4 dual channel kits as two quad channel ones. Try setting the RAM up manually..or take one kit and see if XMP works on that alone....

Raja
Level 13
The xmp settings on the memory is for a single kit, not for multiple kits in tandem. A lot of users fall prey to this - attempting to save money by combining multiple kits instead of purchasing a single 64gb kit. 64gb kits rated at ddr3-2400 are rare and expensive for a reason.

Dartmaul
Level 12
My 4x4GB 2133 Ripjaws kit also can't run at 2400 since I installed 4930k.
Settings were fine during last year with few different SB-E CPUs doesn't work anymore(

i was truing to apply hynix 4x4 preset and set 1st timings manually but it didn't worked too.

01 or 5A core.

Dartmaul wrote:
My 4x4GB 2133 Ripjaws kit also can't run at 2400 since I installed 4930k.
Settings were fine during last year with few different SB-E CPUs doesn't work anymore(

i was truing to apply hynix 4x4 preset and set 1st timings manually but it didn't worked too.

01 or 5A core.

that's odd... I do a manual 2400 and a 46 multi with everything else set to auto or default in the bios... on a 16Gb XMP2133 Mushkin kit. Albeit I have the 4820k and the Gene mobo.

I can take the multi up to 47 with these same settings and get a 1.36vcore (what the bios gives me) with no LLC... if I go to 48 multi here I loose ram Mhz.

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a568/Butter_Chicken/Computer/manual240046_zps05d9828c.jpg~origin...

http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a568/Butter_Chicken/Computer/manual240046LinX_zps32642378.jpg~or...
...wide open

Raja
Level 13
Different IMC. Tune manually. You can't compare oc of memory like this on a new architecture.

Dartmaul
Level 12
Sorry for disinformation:

DRAM clock period causes 01 code. Previously I was fine with 5 and now I get 01 code with any value below 7.

Raja
Level 13
My reply above stands either way. You want to oc your memory, you need to tune. The setting you refer to sets subtimings based on the applied dram ratio. The value that will work is based on what the CPU IMC can handle. You can follow my guide on whether the timings you need to run ddr3-2400 are faster than ddr3-2133 as well. No point in reducing performance while chasing frequency if it's true over clocking you are interested in.

PS. Ib-e needs lots of vccsa to run high density kits at high speed. Usual rules of logic apply, tune for lowest voltage at highest freq before diminishing gains.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
My reply above stands either way. You want to oc your memory, you need to tune. The setting you refer to sets subtimings based on the applied dram ratio. The value that will work is based on what the CPU IMC can handle. You can follow my guide on whether the timings you need to run ddr3-2400 are faster than ddr3-2133 as well. No point in reducing performance while chasing frequency if it's true over clocking you are interested in.

PS. Ib-e needs lots of vccsa to run high density kits at high speed. Usual rules of logic apply, tune for lowest voltage at highest freq before diminishing gains.

With my 3930K must 1.07v to VCCSA for 4x4Go 2400 C9
The IB-E requires more voltage?
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
With my 3930K must 1.07v to VCCSA for 4x4Go 2400 C9
The IB-E requires more voltage?

No I just said it to mislead you all 😛

We have found ib-e CPUs that need high vccsa. Hopefully that makes sense yes?