cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4TB HDD On Maximus Gene VI? Help Needed!

Zydar
Level 7
Hey, I recently bought an WD 4TB Black drive and I have major problems getting it to work.

The drive is detected in bios and some places inside Windows but not in Disk management. Also in Device Manager it's listed under "Other devices" and not under "Disk drives".

Intel Rapid Storage Technology detects it. What do I do? 😞
8 REPLIES 8

Nodens
Level 16
Use diskpart to partition the drive as GPT.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

It's not listed under diskpart either, only my Samsungs shows up.

I went ahead and tried to connect the 4TB HDD to the Asmedia sata controller and now it shows up in disk management and I formatted it with GPT. If I connect it back to the intel sata controller it disappears again.

Why don't it work with the Intel controller it's supposed to be superior right?

Nodens
Level 16
This is weird. Can you see the drive in the UEFI when you connect it to the Intel ports?

Try these:
Disable Aggressive LPM support.
Disable Active Page Threshold support.
Disable Hybrid HD support.
Disable Intel Smart Connect Technology.

If that fixes the issue then re-enable one by one to find out which one is the culprit. If it doesn't fix the issue then it must be some sort of incompatibility between the controller and said drive. If it's the later, you may want to contact Western Digital for updated firmware.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Non of the settings helped 😞

I tried to test the 4TB HDD on my older Computer with an MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z and it works there no problem on both the Intel 6Gb/s and 3Gb/s ports.

Nodens
Level 16
Then there must be a general incompatibility issue with the Intel Controller on Z87 and the specific WD drive. Your best bet is talking to WD support.

RealBench Developer.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Stupid question, which SATA port did you have the WD connected too?

BTW this is the second post I have seen about a WD not being picked up...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

AlexPunt
Level 7
Hi all, I hope this, my first post, will help you!

I've just gotten my WD Red 4TB to work on my Asus Maximus V Formula (Z77). I also have it connected to the ASMedia controller. But it was hell getting it to work!

I think the easiest way to do it, and what worked for me, is first connect it to the native controller (directly to the chipset). If you have to disconnect another drive so be it, as long as you still have the OS drive connected it's fine. Boot into your OS, and then go through the steps to initialize the disk (as GPT) and format it (as NTFS) in Disk Management. This should work... (If there's a problem first use diskpart to clean all - Google for steps for that, it's easy)

Then, once it's is done, you can shut down, disconnect the 4TB drive and connect it to the ASMedia controller instead. It is working for me, but it makes the PC VERY VERY VERY slow to boot up and shut down. I don't know why, but my guess is that the ASMedia controller is just s***. My OS runs off an OCZ Vertex SSD, and normally I go from hitting the power button to the desktop in 15s. Now, it's taking anything from 2-5 minutes.

I initially tried to get the drive initialized while it was connected to the ASMedia controller, but no luck. Disk Management recognised the drive, and initialised it. But the formatting failed. Then the drive disappeared. Then it reappeared as a RAW drive (i.e. with no format). Then my PC wouldn't boot up at all with it attached. I tried using diskpart from inside Windows, no luck. I tried using diskpart from my installation USB (yes, I even tried a clean install of Windows). No luck. So I get the feeling that it really is the ASMedia controller that is the problem.

Right now I'm copying 125GB of files from my WD Black 2TB drive (on the native SATA controller) to the WD Red 4TB (on the ASMedia controller) and it started fine, but it's now going at 500KB/s.

Interestingly, when I did the clean install of Windows 7 I made sure that I did it in UEFI mode (not in normal BIOS mode). I'm not sure if that made any difference to it working... it might be that Windows will only work with drives bigger than 2TB if it's installed in UEFI mode. But I'm still 99.99% convinced the ASMedia controller just cannot handle the drive. It might have something to do with the fact that it's a PCIe controller...(???)

I'll be contacting ASMedia, Western Digital and Asus about this on Monday morning.

Good luck, I hope this helps you get it working!

*** UPDATE ***

After posting this I ran into more problems and the drive failed. So it's possible this drive was just bad all along.