cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4770K and UEFI BIOS 1504

Astrix_au
Level 7
Hi all,

I have the Asus Maximus VI Formula motherboard running 1402 UEFI BIOS.

I see it says that 1504 has enhance compatibility for new Anniversary Edition and Devil's Canyon CPU.

Is there anything else in there that is not listed which would make sense for me to update?

Should I update anyway? I have always updated on new releases.

Why is that EZ Update never notify's me that a new UEFI is available? It starts up ans is always in the tray. I always find it manually on my motherboards driver page.

Thanks
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...
18 REPLIES 18

HiVizMan
Level 40
My advice has been the same for nearly 15 years.

Do not fix something that ain't broke.

What that means is why mess with something that is working just fine. 😄 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
My advice has been the same for nearly 15 years.

Do not fix something that ain't broke.

What that means is why mess with something that is working just fine. 😄 😄

Interesting comment .... however Asus's official TS "modus operandi" nowadays is ..... "if you ain't got latest BIOS, we don't talk to you".

-Back in 2013 w/ BIOS Clock Freeze Issue ..... "Do you have latest BIOS ? .... No, ..... Call us back when you do."

-LAN and WiFi couldn't get both to work ..... "Do you have latest driver .... yes .... BIOS ? .... No, ..... Call us back when you do..... But latest driver pre-dates latest BIOS so should work with older BIOS .....Call us back when you do "

-This morning looking fir update on BIOS Clock Freeze Issue .... "Do you have latest BIOS ? .... No, I haven't installed the DC one that came out 2 days ago..... Call us back when you do." Interestingly enough, apparently the telephone support guys are unaware of the clock freeze issue ... they said they have no knowledge of anything in this regard.
October 26 Build
MoBo:Max VI Formula
RAM:16GB Mushkin DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28
GFX:2x Asus GTX780 DCII
HD: 2x Seagate 2TB Hybrid SSHD
SSD:2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
PSU:Seasonic X-1250
Case:Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Monitor:Asus VG248QE Black 23" 144 Hz
Optical:Asus BR Burner
KB: Logitech G19s
Mouse:RoG GX950
Fan Con.: Six Eyes
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit

HiVizMan
Level 40
Think that puts things in context quite nicely. Those guys do not have a clue about what is happening on the ground support wise. Those of us that offer motherboard support do so from a practical perspective, I like many others here work daily with the ROG products. So you have some group of people in a telecentre working from a script on the one hand and you have another group who actually use the products and own the products.

It is your call who you want to listen to. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
For BIOS 1505 Asus "recommends" a Windows based install.

HiVizMan wrote:
Think that puts things in context quite nicely. Those guys do not have a clue about what is happening on the ground support wise. Those of us that offer motherboard support do so from a practical perspective, I like many others here work daily with the ROG products. So you have some group of people in a telecentre working from a script on the one hand and you have another group who actually use the products and own the products.

It is your call who you want to listen to. 🙂

It's not a matter of who I want to listen to, it's how do I get action :). The support given here is useful and greatly appreciated. But as a staff of volunteers, I can't **expect** all questions or be answered and when your machine is down, waiting few days for a volunteer to see ya post can be costly when you make a living with the machine.

From years of tech support dealings, I recognize that the criteria which performance is measured is not by problems solved but call duration.

Inevitably, the first solutions offered are:

a) If MoBo call, "it must be the GFX card problem"....if GFX card call, "it must be a MoBo problem".
b) Update to the latest driver, call us back if you still have problem
c) Update to the latest BIOS, call us back if you still have problem

You know the BIOS has nothing to do with the issue, I know the BIOS has nothing to do with the issue but if ya don't install the newest BIOS, Telephone techs refuse to assist you in any way.
October 26 Build
Cooling:420+280 Alphacool Rads, 35x2 Pump, EK CPU/ GPU Blocks, Acrylic Tubes w/ BP Fit

mindtrip
Level 7
Anyone seen this: I installed the new (non-beta) version of 1504, but now at boot the monitor won't display the splash or any of the pre-loading of windows stuff. The monitor states that the refresh rate being supplied is not compatible and instructs me to adjust the refresh rate and resolution to a monitor-compatible setting, which I can't do because I can't see! But once windows starts to load the monitor is able to accept the signal. I'm going back to 1402 for now; was thinking of upgrading to a 4790k but not at this point....

Praz
Level 13
Hello

It would help if you listed complete and accurate details of your system including the monitor.

mindtrip
Level 7
Sorry: Maximus VI extreme, Dell u3011, evga gtx 780 ti sc acx x 2 in SLI, 16GB crucial ballistix tactical (4x4GB), samsung evo 840+ 1TB, i7-4770k

Edit: I went back to 1402 and everything works correctly again, tested with serial reboots. No issues.

Edit 2: Apologies, just realized the new BIOS number is 1505. Should I start a new thread?

Final Edit: FIXED. I went back into the 1402 BIOS, restored all defaults and updated BIOS from inside BIOS. 1505 now works correctly and the monitor works during all reboots.

Astrix_au
Level 7
I'm thinking if I should update the BIOS from 1402 to 1505. I used to do it in Windows but this time a bit apprehensive.
ASUS Maximus VI Formula - i7 4770K - H80i - MSI R9 Fury X - HyperX 16GB Ram - 250GB + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD - Benq XL2730Z 2560x1440p 144hz Freesync - Seasonic 1000w 80 Plus Platnum...

JackNaylorPE
Level 10
This time around you are actually instructed to do it from within Windows. Asus fellas here told me that it was because it allows the install tool (download new on on asus site) checks and replaces the MEI id needed.
October 26 Build