cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.4 OC but no throttling stability?

Peregrinus
Level 7
Okay Well, my system has been up and running for a few days no issues.

Maximus VI formula
4670k water cooled with Corsair H110
Corsair SSD
8 GB of 1600 DDR3 RAM
and a nvidia 660ti

just changing the multiplier and voltage, i can get 4.4-4.5 stable at around 1.250 for voltage. Idle temps are roughly 27-29C and with aida stressing it, ive seen it max out around 60-64C with an average in the high 40s mid 50s.

I'm unable to take it any higher than 4.5 regardless of the voltage. always hiccups at 4.6

My trouble comes when i try to turn on the options to get the throttling when the processor isn't being fully utilized. Ive tried just turning on some things, and also following a few guides, and it always results in me getting either failure to boot, or i get in and get a BSOD after all my startup apps finish opening.

i actually had it working for... about 20 minutes earlier, somehow, and i was getting idle temps around 19-21C, but when i tried to stress it, i immediately got a BSOD and i got stuck in a bootloop for about 10 minutes, i couldnt even get back into the bios, i freaked out. But after a break with the psu turned off, and reboot i was able to get back into the bios and reset to defaults.

Anyway, what are the absolute BAREBONE options i need to enable to get this throttling ability?

also, a sidequestion. Why are my at load temps so much lower than some posts ive seen? i see other people in the 4.4+ area at 1.2+ voltage getting 80-90C?

my ambient temps are around 68F, i assume thats a large part of it?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me.
24 REPLIES 24

Nate152
Hi Peregrinus, Welcome to the ROG community. To get your cpu to throttle down when at idle you want to enable the c states and speedstep in the BIOS and set the windows power plan to balanced. Download cpu-z and run it while running a stress test and see if your cpu speed is what you have it clocked to.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Peregrinus, Welcome to the ROG community. To get your cpu to throttle down when at idle you want to enable the c states and speedstep in the BIOS and set the windows power plan to balanced. Download cpu-z and run it while running a stress test and see if your cpu speed is what you have it clocked to.

I have Ai Suite 3 running, aswell as Aida64 and im using cpuz and core temp to check numbers, everything is as i said, except i actually dropped down to 4.3 multiplier, i get random reboots at 4.4-4.5. Kinda disappointing, but im still plenty happy with 4.3.

I only intended to use ai suite originally to be able to test in OS for some base numbers, I'll eventually uninstall, and just re-install for the fan control.

If i remember correctly, speedstep was enabled by default. but c-states are not. Do u mean power settings in windows control panel i assume?

it has nothing to do with the voltage adaptive settings?

Edit: failed tests, dropped to 4.2 Multiplier, and 40 cache, turned all the stuff you recommended on, aswell as adaptive voltage, and power saving options.

Seems to be running well now, running the rog realbench tests now, hopfully it'll not have a failure again!

if you have any other recommended settings, let me know! ty

HiVizMan
Level 40
What power plan option do you have in OS.

If at performance the system will stay overclocked all the time.

If your voltage is manually set it will stay OC ed all the time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

vitozilla
Level 7
Hello all,

I too have had issue with adaptive settings. I thought the goal was to find the max stable overclock then set the adaptive mode to maximize efficiency when full processor power was not required. I could have swore this was what JJ did in the YouTube videos for the MVI UEFI overclocking walkthrough. I've lurked a while to understand HiVizMan knows what is what...so it seems if OC can't happen on AUTO settings, then adaptive mode is not happening...correct?

Stability has been found on my MVIF with Vin eventual at 1.8, x45 at Vcore 1.28750, cache x43 at Vcache 1.25000, 4x4GB DDR3 at 2400. After 8hrs on IETU CPU stress test temps were 83C max, 75C average, ambient 21C (using XSPC RayStorm D5 AX240 kit...first ever build...first ever water cooled...very nice). From what I've seen, 4.5GHz with 4770k is about as good as it gets unless you hit the silicon lotto...and x46 requires more voltage than I care to maintain!

I did have the power plan features to balanced and verified the min processor state at 5%. I verified that the processor throttled to 800MHz. Then I went into UEFI, verified speedstep (default enabled), enabled c states, disabled fully manual mode so I could access and set Vcore and Vcache to adaptive...F10...enter...BSOD in the middle of OS handoff. Oh well, back to hoarding electrons unless there is a way to OC and still have power efficiency too.
"If we're the only ones out there...seems like an awful waste of space."

ASUS G75 VX
32GB Kingston HyperX PnP
OCZ Vector 256GB SSD
1TB HDD

ASUS MVIF 4770k @ 4.5GHz water cooled with RayStorm D5 AX240 kit
4x4GB G.SKILL Trident X at 2400MHz
2xASUS Direct CU II OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti in SLI @ +130/+300
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 8.1 Pro and 2TB WD HDD storage
Seasonic 860 Platinum all at home in Corsair Vengeance case
Razer DeathAdder 2013 and BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 keyboard

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey there Wanderer!!(for those that are wondering, Peregrinus is Latin for Wanderer 😉 )

Those temps being lower than others means you have a really good chip for Overclocking 🙂

A balanced power plan will see your CPU throttle down when in idle and like Vizman above stated, Manual voltage will have the OC all the time.

How'd you go running RB2?

Edit: you will most likely find that to get a OC to 4.6 or higher will most likely need to take a big jump in voltage to hit the required speed. If you are able to get 4.6 stable at a higher voltage, you can then start bringing the voltages down in small increments to find where it's no longer stable and then take it back up again to stable 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
@ Vitzolla

Adaptive voltage is one way of doing things. Is it the best way? Not worth even debating as it makes not difference. You use what you want to get your system to work how you want. Me personally I do not use it. My method is to use offset voltage, it works for me each and every time.

Find what kind of voltage your system needs to be stable using manual.
Set your LLC to medium or 4/5 in the Digi+
Then start playing with offset.

What you do is change the mode to offset and then + and enter the amount of added voltage.
Boot to OS and see what the load voltage is, you can fine tune but increasing or decreasing the amount of offset to reach that pre-determined load voltage.

This method allows full voltage throttling when not in use.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
@ Vitzolla

Adaptive voltage is one way of doing things. Is it the best way? Not worth even debating as it makes not difference. You use what you want to get your system to work how you want. Me personally I do not use it. My method is to use offset voltage, it works for me each and every time.

What you do is change the mode to offset and then + and enter the amount of added voltage.
Boot to OS and see what the load voltage is, you can fine tune but increasing or decreasing the amount of offset to reach that pre-determined load voltage.

thanks for the tips! much appreciated. Even though it wasnt directed at me.

just an update from my end.

I have windows power plan set to balanced, and i now have it running stable at 4.2 ghz with a voltage of 1.25. I also managed to turn on many of the digi+ features aswell as adaptive mode.

So now at idle i get roughly 20C and 800 mhz, and at full load i get the full 4.2 ghz and at avg 55c i'll see spikes to 60-65C but i also have my fans set to silent mode, so the fans fo rmy H110 are only running at 750 rpm, and the case fans are basically off, it never goes high enough to have the system turn the fans to 40-60% .

HiVizMan wrote:
@ Vitzolla

@ HiVizMan
Congratulations by the way to you and 8 Pack for all the OC greatness!
I really appreciate your patience and expertise with a NOOB like me!

So I'm stable at Vcore of 1.28750 with Fully Manual Mode, CPU Cache at 43 @ Vcache 1.25000, and Input voltage eventual @ 1.8.
In Digi+ the CPU LLC is at level 8, so your telling me to dial that down to 4 or 5?
Then in UEFI set Offset Mode, +, then added voltage.
My question is added to what? I know when I was playing around with default UEFI values (except disabling Fully Manual mode) I could observe CPU throttling down to 800 MHz and about .702v. Does this mean that my added voltage should be .5855?
Do I apply the same logic to the CPU cache voltage?

Thanks again.
"If we're the only ones out there...seems like an awful waste of space."

ASUS G75 VX
32GB Kingston HyperX PnP
OCZ Vector 256GB SSD
1TB HDD

ASUS MVIF 4770k @ 4.5GHz water cooled with RayStorm D5 AX240 kit
4x4GB G.SKILL Trident X at 2400MHz
2xASUS Direct CU II OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti in SLI @ +130/+300
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Win 8.1 Pro and 2TB WD HDD storage
Seasonic 860 Platinum all at home in Corsair Vengeance case
Razer DeathAdder 2013 and BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 keyboard

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have a good CPU and those temps are excellent. Enjoy your system.