cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

295x2 will not work with my ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard

southpark11235
Level 7
I have an XFX 295x2 and I cannot get it to display anything with my ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard. I am hoping someone on here has same GPU and motherboard combination so they can tell me if it is a compatibility issue or if something is defective.
The first time I put the 295x2 in my motherboard, I was able to get it to show the bios just fine. However after I save changes to the bios (it does not matter whether or not I change anything), it will not display anything on the monitors. No POST, no bios, no Windows, nothing. If I clear CMOS, I can get it to display the bios again just fine, but again the second I save changes, it will not display anything. The motherboard will work fine with all three of my old 5870’s in crossfire or on their own, and with a junkie little GeForce 210 I have lying around. I can get into Windows and play games etc. without issue. It is just the 295x2 that will not work with my motherboard. I tested the 295x2 with an ASUS M5A99FX motherboard I have in another computer waiting to be delivered to someone (mildly amusing story behind that computer if anyone is bored) and it works just fine. I am able to save changes to the bios and get into Windows with the ASUS M5A99FX. With the 295x2 and Crosshair V combo I have tried switching PCI express slots, with and without the Molex connector on the motherboard that supplies more power to the PCI express slot plug-in, made sure I was using the latest bois, triple checking/unplugging and replugging the power connectors for the GPU and only using one of my two monitors connected with a DVI cable and a mini display port to HDMI adapter. None of that change any of the symptoms. I think that is everything I have tried. It has been a long troubleshooting process, so I may be forgetting something.
Here are my computer’s specs
CPU: AMD FX-9370
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
GPU: XFX 295x2
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 16Gb(4GBx4)
PSU: Corsair AX1200
12 REPLIES 12

Fist3365
Level 7
I actually have a very similar setup. I have the same MOBO and I have the Sapphire R9 295x2. It has been running without any problems since I installed it. When I received my GPU from newegg, I first re-installed my windows 7 so I can start with a clean slate. Then I went through installing all the other programs as well. Since mine works, it shouldn't be any compatibility issue. I will try and answer any other questions you may have, but their are other people on this forum who have way more technical knowledge than I do.
I7-6700k OC'd 4.6 // Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9 // ROG GTX 1080ti OC //Corsair LPX DDR4 32gb 3ghz // Corsair AX 1500i // 1tb Samsung 850 EVO // 256gb Samsung 850 PRO for OS // Windows 10 Home 64

Fist3365 wrote:
I actually have a very similar setup. I have the same MOBO and I have the Sapphire R9 295x2. It has been running without any problems since I installed it. When I received my GPU from newegg, I first re-installed my windows 7 so I can start with a clean slate. Then I went through installing all the other programs as well. Since mine works, it shouldn't be any compatibility issue. I will try and answer any other questions you may have, but their are other people on this forum who have way more technical knowledge than I do.

I just had an idea. Could you please tell me what is the version number of BIOS you are run on your MB?

My MB version # is 2101.
I7-6700k OC'd 4.6 // Asus ROG Maximus Hero 9 // ROG GTX 1080ti OC //Corsair LPX DDR4 32gb 3ghz // Corsair AX 1500i // 1tb Samsung 850 EVO // 256gb Samsung 850 PRO for OS // Windows 10 Home 64

hax0rmort
Level 11
Are you changing the secure boot or CSM by chance? I know you said that you don't have to make any changes to start this cycle of no output, but very curious for your response. I have 2 290x, which is what you have essentially, and if I start with a clean BIOS and change the CSM to Disabled, I can no longer boot into BIOS and just get a black screen from that point on. I have to clear to get back in BIOS or to POST. Let me know.
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

hax0rmort wrote:
Are you changing the secure boot or CSM by chance? I know you said that you don't have to make any changes to start this cycle of no output, but very curious for your response. I have 2 290x, which is what you have essentially, and if I start with a clean BIOS and change the CSM to Disabled, I can no longer boot into BIOS and just get a black screen from that point on. I have to clear to get back in BIOS or to POST. Let me know.

I just tried messing with CSM and secure boot, but they did not have any effect. During one of my boots I did get a random message saying that the UEFI driver was not compatible with the VGA. I was not able to reproduce this message. The CSM sets the PCI slots to legacy by default and changing them to UEFI did nothing.

FXRIDER1866
Level 7
Try Reseat Graphics Card And Load Optimized Defaults In Bios
ASUS REPUBLIC OF GAMER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aD4RKW4R
Level 7
I am currently using the xfx R9 295x2 with a rosewill lightning 1300w psu. since looking at your specifications, you might be looking at not enough power going though your system (if additional hardware is connected). There is a minimum 12 volt rail requirement for this gpu and your cpu (and additional components) may be draining it. The way I have my system configured is 8 Pin cpu MB cable connected (NOT the MB 4 pin as well) and the 4 pin molex gpu power connected as well. My mother board is bios version 2101 but I also was using version 1201 beforehand. When I first installed this gpu, I had my cpu at stock speed (yours is factory Overclocked/volted), Ram not overclocked (yours is OC), and I unplugged the extra HD's. hope this helps. Check my current PC Specs if this helps.

AD4RKW4R,

Are you also using the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard.? Because I have the following in my new build and I am having nothing but HELLish performance problems with this Video Card as well. See my system build below but I am getting extremely poor performance out of games like Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (30 - 50 FPS with High 30's being the average and that with the Video options set to Optimal. If I try and pump up Video options details the game becomes unplayable (like slow motion). The Beginning in game Movie is really choppy and audio cuts in and out. I see screen tearing effects nd also this game under advanced video Options only shows your video card and Dedicated RAM, and this games reports a single R9 200 with 4056 MG dedicated RAM (But Windows 7 and Catalyst CM both see the 2 Cards in X-fire) Batman Arkham City Benchmark I got Max of 88 FPS, Average of 34 FPS and minimum of 12 FPS. (and all with V-SYNC disabled for both games). I just sent the card to XFX and they could not find anything wrong and are blaming something else in my system as a bottle neck- BUT WHAT???. Everything in this system is AMD so should all play nicely - this is ludicrous and I feel like I got ripped off with this Card. Anybody else having really poor performance issues with this video card and Motherboard combo???? Please help or offer suggestions because now I may have to buy a whole new Motherboard, Processor and Memory just to accommodate this card which is nothing more than a +700$ door stop now. ;-(
1) ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
2) AMD FX-8370 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8370FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
3) G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX
4) Rosewill LIGHTNING-1300 - 1300-Watt Modular, Active PFC Power Supply - Continuous @ 122 Degrees F (50C), 80 PLUS Gold, ATX 12V v2.31 & EPS 12V v2.92, Intel Haswell, SLI & CrossFire-Ready
5) Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case

skellattarr
Level 10
if you using the corsair axi psu use corsair link to set your psu on 40amps all rails then take the check out of all rails to make it a single rail that will make sure your getting enouph power to the cards
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case