cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the perception of ASUS graphics card in your eyes

Mason
Level 10
Hello to everyone in the ROG community out there. Thanks for checking out my post and sharing your thoughts. The reason for this post is because ASUS branded graphics cards have recently become the #1 graphics cards on the market so I want to follow that up with a poll to see what you all think. As many of you are system builders/upgraders (I think that's a word), you represent a major group of our intended market and your input will be invaluable.

Being that this is a GeForce sub-forum, this poll will give us an idea as to what you think about our NVIDIA graphics cards compared to other vendors' NVIDIA cards. For the poll, choose the option for the vendor you think makes the best NVIDIA graphics card and then list who you think is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in a post. Aside from ranking your top NVIDIA card vendors, any other thoughts, comments, things you would like to see are of course more than welcome! 🙂

Thanks for voting!
47 REPLIES 47

cravinmild
Level 11
"EVGA might have a slight value edge to their cards, and they are at least as well marketed as ASUS's. The Republic of Gamers product line gives ASUS the edge over EVGA, in my view. "

THIS^^^^^^^

If not for the RoG status i would have gone with another vender. The Matrix Platinum specs could not be turned up and the price was very near the other vender prices.

Here's my take, I registered for this forum just to respond to this thread.

Right now I'm trying to build the most powerful PC I can manage without SLI and cost is not really an issue within reason. I'm avoiding SLI because I don't care for microstuttering, otherwise my setup would be SLI. Asus is of particular interest for me in the realm of 7970s and GTX 680s, though the 680 is my key target. My perception is that Asus is a high end brand, though I've never owned an Asus card before. My current video card squeals like a little pig whenever I run games (capacitor noise) and I want to be sure my new card does not do this. I have hopes that an Asus non-reference design card with all those fancy power phases will be better built than competitors, though I'm still researching.

My system is watercooled and I plan on removing the stock cooler and fitting a waterblock on the card and then overclocking to as high as I can reasonably go, likely with minimal (if any) voltage modding. Water is where Asus falls short. If Asus is catering to the high end enthusiast users then where's the water cooled offerings? If I buy a DirectCU II based card I get an epic huge three slot cooler which I would have to remove right away, assuming I can find a non-reference waterblock that will fit the Asus card (which I think does exist) and hopefully a new two slot plate to decrease the crazy size of the thing. The point is, adding some water to the mix might be a good idea, and smaller cooler options may also be good.

A few other things:

- I'd like to see you directly address the issue of capacitor noise. I've seen various manufacturers claim they use high quality components, but I've never seen anybody list "no cap squeal" as a feature. That is a feature I would definitely look for.

- I was reading through the AMD video card section here at the Rog board and there's a big thread there with lots of people saying they are having trouble with 7970 DirectCU II cards (crashes and such). It wasn't clear whether this was an Asus issue or an AMD issue, but it was clear that there were lots of problems. It was also evident that Asus representatives were not participating in the conversation to offer insight. This leaves me unsure what to believe and cautious. Where does the problem lie? Should I delay my purchase? Is this a 7970 only issue or will the 680 also have it? Etc. It would be good to see Asus jump right in and tell it straight. If there's an issue then say so, and let us know there's a fix coming. That kind of feedback counts for something.

- Would you ever consider selling just the card without a cooler on it, allowing enthusiasts to install their own cooler? Because that would be awesome for us water cooled guys. Or instead, what about a high end card with quality construction paired with a basic cooler that is sold with the assumption that the user will likely change it? It seems like a waste to buy a 680 DirectCU II and then remove that big cooler (that I know I paid for) when I could buy a competitors card for less with a basic cooler on it (which I'm removing anyway). Therefore, it comes down to board quality only, if the competitor can provide quality construction with a less fancy and expensive cooler then they may win that battle since the cooler is not important to me.

- I can't really comment on who makes the best video cards since I only buy video cards every few years and own one at a time, so comparisons are hard. And video card review websites are usually useless, since every card that gets reviewed always seems to get an editors choice award regardless. I'm left to examine the images of the product and the overall company reputation myself, as well as forum discussions. Asus does well in this respect.

Overall, Asus seems to have done a decent job catering to enthusiast users with the ROG hardware, this website, and some of your other quality products (after all, my current Z77 motherboard is an Asus for a reason). If you tweaked just a few things you could be even better.

As for me, I'm holding out for a little while on the video card purchase until 680 stock improves and to see what other companies like EVGA are bringing to the table with their high end parts (including water cooled cards). Hope my input was helpful. 🙂

Jonny K

stren
Level 7
Personally for me there's too little water cooling support. Either I'll get a reference card in which case the designs are the same (and price can only be justified by my perception of warranty and RMA service), or I'm looking for a card with extra vram/performance that is still compatible with a waterblock. I have no interest in air cooling or giant 3 slot coolers, or <3gb of vram.

I wish there was someone out there interested in challenging the evga classified cards - extra vram and optional waterblock. To me that series is number one for what I want and it separates them out as a leader in the industry.

Asus may be number one, and I love the ROG motherboards, but they do not dominate in the same way in GPUs. When you think of *the* performance card for multi-monitor setups you don't think Asus. Yes Asus do some nice air cards, but so do MSI and EVGA often without resorting to three slots. There are very few high end setups that use air. I also like the idea of a step-up option for evga even though I've never used it.

BTW you should post this in a non Asus forum if you want less biased answers 😉
Project Thief Build Log - Dual water cooling 3930/990x GTX580 Tri SLI monster rig build in progress
Workstation i7-3930x@4.9GHz/Rampge IV Extreme/2x8800GT/AX1200/32GB 2133CL9/2xX25E/C300 128Gb
Gaming - i7-990x@4.6GHz/Rampage III Extreme/ GTX580 3GB Tri SLI/Xonar Essence STX/AX1200/12GB 2000CL8

Zka17
Level 16
I voted for Asus because of their overall product line (ROG). At the VGA section, however, there is a strong competition for the first place between Asus and EVGA... Basically because of the water cooling, as others have also mentioned...

Just hope that the newly presented Fusion Thermo System would be extended in future... both for motherboards (I would love a Rampage V Extreme with this system!) and graphic cards...

Zka17
Level 16
Well, FireFlower, you went wrong about about the two GTX 560 Ti TOP 1GB cards... It happens that I have them too...

If their fans were noisy, it means that you failed to upgrade their BIOS... After that upgrade they're dead-silent... I'm really curious which exact EVGA you've got, as those usually have more noise on air cooling...

FireFlower
Level 9
EVGA GTX 670 FTW.

Btw I never updated bios of GTX 560 Ti, it was the newest when I checked it could it fix fan noise problem. Well now current system is a lot quieter even though radial fan is supposed to be more noisy.

Lets see again when Asus decides gives up silly 3-pci-slots design in coolers. If this continues soon we will have 4 slots design featuring full tower cooler mounted to it...
Romuluotain 9
Ryzen 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 2x16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 Ti, ~10TB total storage (good bye ROG, for n...
Romuluotain 8
Dell XT3, Core i7-2620M, 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz sodimm, 2TB SSD, Sierra wireless LTE, AX200 Wifi-6, Linux Mint

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The thread is perception so I voted EVGA....really I think return rates etc show the poll companies as much of a muchness, except zotac who I think of as second division and not premiership. EVGA make great cards and do things like put a decent amount of ram on 680s etc. Asus is probably just as good and (not NVIDIA) a matrix 7970 or a GHz edition with a good cooler design will probably be my next card if they come out soon. It's just EVGA have a pedigree....asus will have to work for that.

EDIT : Several weeks later ordered a 680 DCII top! 😄 on balance ASUS wins!

Sonny
Level 9
I've tried many different makes of cards in the past, and my vote would have to go to EVGA for the top nVidia cards. Asus makes excellent cards with the DCUII line, but that aren't really aimed at the top end of the enthusiast market it seems... The larger air coolers on them with a triple slot design pretty much limits them to two way sli as the maximum, because three way bridges just aren't long enough, even using flexible cables instead of the pcb bridge, this means the cards are limited to people looking to run only a single card, or two way sli at the most. The lack of a water cooled version of this card also puts it more towards the upper mid range demographic (air cooled systems), rather than the top level systems that have liquid cooling.

EVGA also adds more VRAM to the nVidia cards (which I think are significantly lacking in this department) which improve the performance of people looking to run at very high resolutions, if you are buying a set of top of the line cards that cost 550+ each, you won't be running a single 19" low res monitor, so this would apply to a large majority of people looking at this price ranged card. 2560x1600(or 1440) monitors are more and more common now, with some very high quality ones available for ~300, hardware needs to keep up with this, so when you are buying top of the line, you don't want something that can't handle it because it lacks vram. One monitor at that resolution may be fine for many games, (I capped the 2gb vram in BF3 and several other games with just 1 monitor, so more would help even with just single display) but anyone looking to push surround with more than one of these will have to look to EVGA for their 4gig fix. You can get a 4GB FTW+ card for $609 right now, which is only $40 more than the DCUII cards, so the extra ram can't cost too much to implement. 7680x1600/1440 is just not possible with asus cards.

That is the main thing I don't understand. Asus pushes the boundaries with all the bells and whistles on their motherboards, giving support to extreme options like sub zero LN2 cooling, 4 way SLI, watercooled VRMs/chipsets, and other enthusiast oriented extras and tweaking options, stuff that only those using the best of the best would use. But then even the best of the video cards are just aimed at the average casual user, someone that would just plug it in and go, nothing really oriented at a tweaker or enthusiast user. Maybe you could adopt the motherboard system for your cards, a Gene model for more casual use, Formula for gamer oriented, and Extreme for enthusiast. Like the reference clocked, or the DCUII OC can be the MATRIX680-Gene, the TOP can be the MATRIX680-Formula, and they you can introduce a 4GB waterblock version as the MATRIX680-Extreme or something similar. Right now it just feels like the Motherboard and Video cards are from two completely different companies, your motherboards are the best out there, but your video cards are just middle of the pack. The build quality is there, but the feature set just doesn't really distinguish it as a top end product.

I'm using the DC2Top cards now, and that's just how I feel after making the purchase and having used them for a while. I think that seems to be the general perception of a large portion of enthusiasts as well, people looking to run multi monitor setups or watercooling, or 3+SLI go with EVGA, people looking for a top quality tweakable card go with the MSI lightnings, people looking for quiet and cool cards that they can sli go with the gigabyte windforce cards, people that want just a single card that pretty good out of the box go with the asus (theres nothing wrong with that, but it just doesn't seem like thats what all the other RoG products aim for)

CM Storm Trooper
Rampage IV Extreme
3930K@5.1GHz 1.48V (+0.085 Offset) XSPC Raystorm +Alphacool 360mm UT-60 /w 3x Scythe Ultra Kaze @2200rpm
Asus DC2T GTX680 x2 (going for a 3rd with some EK blocks when the budget allows)
32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.skill Trident X
2x 256GB Vertex4 Raid0
Seasonic Platinum 1000W

1ceTr0n
Level 11
Your turnaround RMA time, customer support/service and ease of use/convienance majorly sucks in comparison to others, especially EVGA. For the extra price we pay in ROG products, that is not acceptable.

escannihilator
Level 7
Well for video cards its evga all the way, but off subject asus has the best motherboards. I will not steer away from asus when it comes mb's
ROG Strix Z590 E gaming WIFI
I7 11700F rocket lake 8 core
Vengeance Pro RGB 32 gigs CMW32GX4M2E3200C16
Asus TUF RTX4080 oc
LG 32" Class 4K UHD Monitor with Radeon FreeSync™ Technology
ACER Predator XB1 Series 28" TN 4K NVIDIA G-sync
LG 29" 2K Adaptive-Sync (Free-Sync) 21:9 UltraWide
Corsair M.2 MP510
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
CORSAIR iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT
Logitech G512
Corsair M65 RGB Elite