cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Non-OC Bios on 3080 Stric OC Model?

j_battermann
Level 7
Hello there

given that non-OC models of the 3080 Strix are still missing in action, I got my hands on an OC model HOWEVER I primarily day-to-day want to run the card as cool and silently as possible and was wondering if there is a way to use the non-OC models bios on my OC 3080 Strix because tbh, I'll never need/want to actually squeeze the last few % out performance wise over keeping the system a little bit more calm/cool etc.

Has anyone actually done that and knows how / which bios files -exactly- to use (as the .rom file names in the 3080biosupdate.zip file that contains apparently all 3080s' bioses... are very non-indicative)

Thanks,
-JB
4 REPLIES 4

azpiazu
Level 7
just activate the "q" mode in the dual bios.

azpiazu wrote:
just activate the "q" mode in the dual bios.

The quiet mode of the OC model is (probably) not the same as the non-OC's performance nor quiet mode. Different power limits means probably also differnt fan curves etc for the stock bios variables / configuration... hence the question if/how to find that out.

Why not just undervolt it and see if it is quiet and cool enough for you. You can do that just by downloading Afterburner and you'll very likely lost hardly any performance for good returns in cooling and lowered fan use.

I undervolted mine as well and reached 1905@831mV stable with the Q-Bios. However i don't know if bios actually changes anything regarding undervolting and overclocking performance. Since I use a custom fan curve as well i didn't really bother to switch it back to performance.

With these settings the fans barely reach 60% and the card stays under 50°C during gaming. I haven't checked power consumption since my issue was mainly heat, hence noise. Especially since my 3080 unfortunately suffers from the fan rattling issue.