cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading my 980 to a 1080 ti

cjsjr249
Level 9
Hi, I'm currently running a Strix 980 card and just bought a used Strix 1080 ti OC card and it didn't come with the set-up disc or manual. Any information on the steps I should follow to install my new card?
6 REPLIES 6

panzlock
Level 12
First, get rid of your existing drivers using DDU in safe mode.

Shut the PC off once completed.

Remove your Strix 980.

You know what, here: https://www.msi.com/blog/pc-gaming-101-how-to-upgrade-your-graphics-card
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

cjsjr249
Level 9
Thanks bro, that's just what I needed.

xeromist
Being that Nvidia uses unified drivers it shouldn't even be necessary to DDU unless there is a problem. As long as a recent driver is installed it should pick up the new GPU automatically.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Being that Nvidia uses unified drivers it shouldn't even be necessary to DDU unless there is a problem. As long as a recent driver is installed it should pick up the new GPU automatically.

That's what I was thinking too, but I read online a few people ran into driver issues when they upgrading their gpus. I'm hoping that sticking with Asus Strix cards only one gen apart will be drama free.

cjsjr249 wrote:
That's what I was thinking too, but I read online a few people ran into driver issues when they upgrading their gpus. I'm hoping that sticking with Asus Strix cards only one gen apart will be drama free.

Switching between AMD & Nvidia could be an issue for sure. I think you are making a relatively minor change.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

cjsjr249
Level 9
Just an update, I tried installing the 1080ti and downloading the newest drivers from Nvidia without using a DDU utility but my base clock showed lower than it should have been in GPU Tweak II. It seemed to run ok and my fps went way up in my usual games with higher settings than I ran with my 980. I downloaded a DDU utility and followed all the instructions, then re-downloaded and installed fresh drivers from Nvidia and everything is perfect. This card is a beast!!! Thanks for the help and advice guys!