cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions on a new graphics card for my updated setup

Playmaker729
Level 7
I just started rebuilding my system with a new mb, cpu, cooler, etc, and wanted some suggestions on a new graphics card.

Typically in the past I've preferred EVGA cards (my current one is an EVGA Nvidia 980 Classified)

I'm looking to spend between $500-$600 and use my computer for gaming like CoD, WoW, etc, so a mix of games. There are just so many choices on sites I've been looking at - I'd like to get one that compliments the new setup I have.

Here is the rest of my hardware I just installed (all stock settings currently nothing OC'd) -

-Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula MB

-Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz

-Corsair Hydro Series, H115i PRO RGB

-Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 2800 (this is a few years old and I could also upgrade that to at least 32 GB)

-Ssamsung 860 EVO Series 2.5" 1TB

-Corsair AXi Series AX1200i Digital 1200W 80 PLUS PLATINUM PSU

-Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Black Brushed Aluminum and Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
8 REPLIES 8

panzlock
Level 12
Price range:

• Nvidia: GTX 1070, 1070Ti, 1080 or 2060 and POSSIBLY 2070.

• AMD: Vega 56, 64

Brands:

• Nvidia: ASUS, EVGA, MSI, ZOTAC, GALAX and maybe even PALIT

• AMD: Sapphire, ASUS, Powercolor

If I were you I'd keep the 980 a while longer and see what Nvidia and AMD do in the next year, to be honest. But it is your dollar and I ain't your daddy.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Agreed, I would wait if I were in your position, but with that budget, you can overclock a vega 56 to about 1070 level performance. I tend to avoid nvidia though. I don't agree with their sales practices.

davemon50
Level 11
If you wind up buying a Sapphire card for an AMD product and are not water cooling, I'd recommend the multi-fan versions of their products (Nitro+). I have two of them and they are so quiet I usually can't tell they exist.

BTW I have that PSU that you mentioned for your build above, and I can never hear that either. Like the video cards, the PSU fan shuts off on low load so sometimes it's completely silent.
Davemon50

Thanks for the replys so far! For games like CoD or WoW would I even notice a huge difference between my 980 and upgrading to an EVGA 2060 or 2070?

I find it's always exciting to install a new component/upgrade but I want to make sure spending the money on a new graphics card will make a difference that I notice and not just upgrade without experiencing/seeing an overall increase in performance.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you look for used (yes there are good ones out there) you can probably pick up a 1080Ti for close to that with people upgrading to 2080Ti. Have to really look though because anything 1080 and later the Ti is doubling the price thanks to crypto mining.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

So would waiting be the best for now? I've read quite a few reviews it seems a lot of the new RTX cards are having issues after the first few weeks? my 980 works fine but I would like to upgrade and somewhat future proof. I've checked out a few 2070 evga cards around $550 or so but the reviews for customers who purchased them were all over the place as far as performance/isssues arrising after the first few weeks.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you have a 1080 theres no point at your budget level. Future proof is gonna const you $1200 for the Nvidia FE 2080ti I once ran AMD everything trying to stick up for them but everything but the Threadripper which isnt for squat in gaming falls well behind. I got tired of spending money although it be less most of the time to have second rate performance.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

davemon50
Level 11
So I'm not sure if this is just a 1-off thing or not, but woke up this morning with a dead video card. Blank screen, no fans spinning, nothing.
SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 Fury 4GB

This is the first time I've used Sapphire, and I've enjoyed the performance of these cards. I have two in the machine, so after removing/reinstalling/cleaning/repowering/switching slots/blah-blah-blah......it's simply a dead card. Overnight. The computer was in sleep mode and the card died. Installed the cards in Feb 2017, so they've seen 2 years of service. Just a caution for anyone looking at cards and brand names. I do like these cards, and after moving the second card to the first slot this morning that one's working fine. Anyway, I can't get these cards anymore, so I might need to invest in a new AMD card or 2 now, bummer.
Davemon50