cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX 970 - coil whine

InToSSH
Level 7
Hello,
today I bought new Strix GTX 970 OC, Im running it with my Maximus VII Hero and Corsair CX750M PSU.
Everything is OK, except when I run some game, with high FPS I can hear pretty loud coil whine and buzzing sound.
Ive read over the internet that some of them do this, I just wanted to ask here if anyone knows about some solution for this as its pretty annoying, because my rig is quiet otherwise. Is it something that could be fixed by software, firmware, some settings or should I return it and have them replace it?

Thanks.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M
13 REPLIES 13

ConkersGrillfor
Level 9
Call the Fixer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6XayaLTw8
Desktop: Xigmatek Elysium | Rampage IV Extreme | i7-3960X | G.Skill 32Gb DDR3 2133Mhz|fastest Asus MarsII on the planet:cool: core 950Mhz| Kingston HyperX SSD 240Gb + 300Gb Intel 300series SSD + Velociraptor 600Gb + 3TB HDD | Enermax Maxrevo 1500W| 3xDell U2412m |
Laptop: Samsung 940X3G | i7-4500U | 8Gb RAM | 256Gb SSD | 13.3" 3200x1800 |

1stcowgirl
Level 7
the ones with the whine should be rma'ed.
there are some asus cards that do produce that sound your talking about but this is not normal to asus (maybe some of the last batch cards).
if your fan is getting to 100% use due to GPU temps rising then its normal.
heavy games like watch dogs, metro and sniper elite, can make your gpu hot, thats when the fan kicks in.
NO FIX for this but.... you can rest asure that your ASUS card is the most quite card out there.
!when it comes to noise.... ASUS IS THE BEST!
ºi7-4790k, ºZ97-A, º4x4GB Ripjaws X 1600mhz, ºASUS GTX 780Ti OC [DC2OC] ºCorsair GS700, ºCM 690 IIIº LG E2241T ºWin 7 Ulti' SP1 x64

panaikas
Level 7
The same here, I bought asus strix 970 and have coil whine, I replaced with second and I have again coil whine.
I take the money back. I read that others brands have coil whine with series 970.

InToSSH
Level 7
1stcowgirl wrote:
the ones with the whine should be rma'ed.
there are some asus cards that do produce that sound your talking about but this is not normal to asus (maybe some of the last batch cards).
if your fan is getting to 100% use due to GPU temps rising then its normal.
heavy games like watch dogs, metro and sniper elite, can make your gpu hot, thats when the fan kicks in.
NO FIX for this but.... you can rest asure that your ASUS card is the most quite card out there.
!when it comes to noise.... ASUS IS THE BEST!

thanks for your response.. well I know that when GPU temps rise, the fans are going to be loud, but this is not the fan, its the sound of coils whining. I noticed that when I was playing Watch Dogs, immediately after game launched, it started to be noisy. So maybe I will wait for a while, Asus might release new revision with this fixed, and then I will RMA it to get the new one.

I love Asus, I can't even imagine having PC with MB from other brand, it just doesn't feel right 😄 I've already built about 30 rigs with Asus components and not a single problem that couldn't be fixed.. so hopefully they won't let me down this time too 🙂

panaikas wrote:
The same here, I bought asus strix 970 and have coil whine, I replaced with second and I have again coil whine.
I take the money back. I read that others brands have coil whine with series 970.

I also heard that other brand cards with GTX970 does that too i guess its going to be the problem with new Maxwell chips, also they said that even some of GTX980 do that, but not that much, however currently I dont have money to buy the GTX980 🙂 And I think that RMAing it now would be useless as almost everyone who did that got the coil whine again.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M

shrapnel69
Level 7
I don't seem to have this issue with my card, Its pretty silent when fans running so yes you must have a faulty card im afraid.

handleR
Level 7
Try capping your FPS. Does the noise go down?

MusicmanCol1
Level 7
Maybe I'm lucky, I just got two of these in SLI, running in a corsair 540 and hero VII MB, 4790k i7, full load no coil whine and temps hit around 70c

Praz
Level 13
Hello

No coil whine with my 970 until past 1500MHz with full load. And then there is very little.

Hello
Same here.
Can hear buzzing noise when i run any game.. Capping the FPS to 60 reduce the buzzing noise but its still noticeable.
I read that problem is in my PSU but i just bought the brand new one yesterday Corsair CX600 80plus bronze,is it good enough?
Many people say that after RMA they still get the same buzzing noise ...
What's the solution for all of this?
Thank you