cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX 970 - coil whine

InToSSH
Level 7
Hello,
today I bought new Strix GTX 970 OC, Im running it with my Maximus VII Hero and Corsair CX750M PSU.
Everything is OK, except when I run some game, with high FPS I can hear pretty loud coil whine and buzzing sound.
Ive read over the internet that some of them do this, I just wanted to ask here if anyone knows about some solution for this as its pretty annoying, because my rig is quiet otherwise. Is it something that could be fixed by software, firmware, some settings or should I return it and have them replace it?

Thanks.
Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) / Core i7-8700k / Asus Strix GTX1070 Ti / Corsair Vengeance LED RED DDR4 4x8GB @ 2666Mhz / SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB SSD / 4TB WD Red / CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro / Corsair H100i v2 / Corsair CX750M
13 REPLIES 13

WinterMisha
Level 7
Hello
Same here.
Can hear buzzing noise when i run any game.. Capping the FPS to 60 reduce the buzzing noise but its still noticeable.
I read that problem is in my PSU but i just bought the brand new one yesterday Corsair CX600 80plus bronze,is it good enough?
Many people say that after RMA they still get the same buzzing noise ...
What's the solution for all of this?
Thank you .

WinterMisha
Level 7
InToSSH wrote:
Hello,
today I bought new Strix GTX 970 OC, Im running it with my Maximus VII Hero and Corsair CX750M PSU.
Everything is OK, except when I run some game, with high FPS I can hear pretty loud coil whine and buzzing sound.
Ive read over the internet that some of them do this, I just wanted to ask here if anyone knows about some solution for this as its pretty annoying, because my rig is quiet otherwise. Is it something that could be fixed by software, firmware, some settings or should I return it and have them replace it?

Thanks.

Hello
Same here.
Can hear buzzing noise when i run any game.. Capping the FPS to 60 reduce the buzzing noise but its still noticeable.
I read that problem is in my PSU but i just bought the brand new one yesterday Corsair CX600 80plus bronze,is it good enough?
Many people say that after RMA they still get the same buzzing noise ...
What's the solution for all of this?
Thank you

Nate152
Your Corsair 600 watt is good enough, the gtx 970 calls for a minimum of a 500 watt psu.

I'm not sure what causes the coil whine, to be honest I don't think I've ever experienced coil whine and I've owned 8 or 10 gpu's.

Do you have a good set of headphones to game with? 🙂

Is this what your gtx 970 is doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

Nate152 wrote:
Your Corsair 600 watt is good enough, the gtx 970 calls for a minimum of a 500 watt psu.

I'm not sure what causes the coil whine, to be honest I don't think I've ever experienced coil whine and I've owned 8 or 10 gpu's.

Do you have a good set of headphones to game with? 🙂

Is this what your gtx 970 is doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

I just contacted asus and they told me to try card on another pc...................... AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
So guys i am going to build another pc so i can test lol.
Well its making buzzing noise ...