cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nate152
Hi everyone !

If you've recently purchased an ROG Strix GTX 1070 and are new to overclocking, here is a little guide that will have it running at it's maximum performance. You will need a gpu overclocking tool and GPU Tweak II is a good one to use, here is a link to get the latest version.

Select your operating system then click utilities, as of now v1.3.1.2 is the latest version.

http://support.asus.com.cn/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=GPUTweak+II&hashedid=n%2fa&_ga=1.2788006...

You will also need a gpu stress testing program and Unigine Valley I find is a good program to use, click the free download.

http://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/valley/

Overclocking your gpu can take a little time but to get your gpu overclocked quickly you can try my settings and see how they work for you. You'll have to enable the "Overclocking range enhancement" to get more out of the memory as it overclocks very far. To do this click the gear at the top right shown in red and check the box, also check "Apply settings each time GPU Tweak starts", this will keep your overclock settings and apply them when you start GPU Tweak. I disabled the GPU Tweak II Startup and Monitor Startup as it only needs to be running while playing games. Simply start GPU Tweak before playing any game.

Like this then click apply

Now click Home at the top then click professional mode at the bottom right and it looks like this below. Slide the GPU Voltage all the way to the right until it shows 100 and slide the Power Target all the way to the right until it shows 120, under GPU Boost Clock select manual and slide it to +33MHZ until it shows 1868MHz, then slide the Memory Clock to +1334MHz until it shows 9342MHz and click apply. These settings are for the Strix 1070 OC, if you have the standard Strix 1070 you should be able to go a little higher with the GPU Boost Clock.

To keep your Strix 1070 as cool as possible you'll want to set a fan curve, 70% is the highest it will go and I have mine set to be running at 70% at 60c. Under Fan Speed select "User Define" then click the little gear to the right and it shows this below. Move the little red boxes with your mouse to your desired temp and fan speed, 60 at the bottom is the temp and on the left is the fan speed 70%. Click save then click apply.

Now open up the Unigine Valley GPU stress testing program, I set the resolution to 2560 x 1440, ultra settings with no antialiasing, then click Benchmark and let it run. If it crashes with the "Nvidia display driver has stopped responding", you'll need to back down the GPU Boost Clock a notch and run it until it passes, if you get artifacting (flashing dots and triangles) you'll have to back down the Memory Clock until the artifacting stops. Be sure to click apply if you make any changes.

The GPU Boost Clock doesn't stay at a constant overclock like previous gpu's, mine goes as low as 2000MHz and at times hits 2068MHz but stayed mainly at 2012MHz - 2038MHz, the Memory Clock does stay constant and runs at 9333MHz. Some gpu's may be able to overclock a little more and some a little less so don't be discouraged if you have to lower your overclock a little.

Here are the scores of the Strix 1070 in silent mode and overclocked with the settings above, the Strix 1070 in silent mode shows a max voltage of 1.062v and max temp of 67c. - 100 frames per second

Here is the link for the Tech PowerUp ROG GPU-Z if you'd like to install it, open it twice and click the sensors tab on one.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2738/techpowerup-gpu-z-v1-9-0-w-asus-rog-skin

My 6700k is overclocked to 4.75GHz during the tests.

Overclocked the max voltage shows 1.093v and max temp shows 71c but with the fan at 70% the max temp was 61c, cooler than in silent mode and scored 111.1 frames per second. A gain of 11 frames per second which is very nice but what is really impressive is the Min. FPS going from 30.5 to 48.5 for a gain of 18 FPS. What an awesome gpu the Strix 1070 is, it performs very good at 1440p runs cool and overclocks extremely well, especially the memory.

EDIT: For those of you with micron memory there is a vbios update that helps with micron memory overclocking stability, check in GPU-Z under memory type it will tell you if you have samsung or micron memory.

ROG Strix 1070 8G standard edition.

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

ROG Strix 1070 08G OC edition

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

I'd like to see how well you all did and compare so please post your scores and overclocks, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
1,038 Comments
yarrahiminbashi
Level 7
I'm using 1070 Strix oc w/Samsung Memory

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/4952756

Core Clock With Boost: 2126
Memory Clock: 9300 ( After that timespy benchmark, i set the memory to 9300 )
Fan Curve: %52
Max. Temp: 61c

How is my results?
HeroVIII
Level 7
Nate152 wrote:
The Maximum temperature for the 1070 Ti is 94c but at that temp you will be severely thermal throttling.

The Strix gpu's have one of if not the best coolers, as long as you stay below 70c it should hold the clock speed and not thermal throttle.

If you have good air flow inside your case, your other components will be fine too.

If you hit the power target this will also thottle your gpu so I recommend keeping it at 120%.

Looking at your fan curve, your fan looks to be running full throttle at 70c, to keep maximum clock speeds this is how you should have it set.

For maximum gaming performance keep the memory overclocked as far as it will go, as long as it's not artifacting or crashing it's perfectly fine.

Ok thank you Nate152.
I am more relaxed, that my card will not suffer more wear and that its components and qualities will continue their normal use.

As the last if ever a game crashes the recommendation you give is that we get down two lines in GPU Boost Clock and Memory clock, until it happens, is that so?
Nate152
That's correct, if it's crashing back off the coverclocks a notch or two.

Do one at a time to determine which is causing the instability. (Boost clock or Memory clock)
cepheus74
Level 7
UPDATE:
I installed MSI AF and was able to push it back to my previous settings, shame really.

cepheus74 wrote:
Thank you.

Here is my tweak output, I increased things a little...

So I just updated my whole system apart from my graphics card. For some reason now I can only get +84 on my GPU boost clock, same for my memory it only allows me to go +480.

The sliders will not allow me to go beyond these numbers.

I did remove the fans and replace it with an AIO unit, the NZXT Kraken X62v2. I am wondering if I need to plug something into the PCB to tell it that it does have cooling hehe.

Any idea why?

Thanks.
SuNSe7
Level 7
Since im having micron memory on firmware 86.04.26.00.83
It stays on loading, nothing happens ? Is this normal ?

SuNSe7
Level 7
Okay after one hour of desperation tries and hopes for the asus vbios tool to work, ive opened nvflash and flashed the firmware .
Using techpowerup for nvflash and rom files i went from rev 86.04.26.00.83 to 86.04.50.00.60 and i have something interesting to show.
Now im not a professional tester or anything, just did some basic test running same clocks and fan speed as shown in the thread.

These are the results ive got:

rev. 86.04.26.00.83
stock clocks max temp 82c.

oc using guide from the thread. max temp 82c.

Now this is when things get interesting 😄
rev. 86.04.50.00.60
stock clocks max temp 82c.

oc using guide from the thread. max temp 76c. FAN CURVE NOT CHANGED

I still need to test the difference in games due to lack of time lately i wont be able to.
I had screen freezing when playing WOW with the shown OC's before i will see later if i still have it.
This is from me, thought it will be nice to see some comparison, since nobody gave info in the thread about micron firmware.

PS : using asus turbo 1070 card.

PS 2: i ran wow for one hour within some heavy events, no more screen freeze.
Sptz87
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I own a ROG Strix 1070 08G OC with Micron memory. I tried flashing the latest vbios downloaded from Asus website and the flash executable just loops forever, nothing happens, any ideas how to go about it?

Cheers
Leeta
Level 7
Are you guys using a different metric than afterburner? Because you guys seem to be getting core clocks below 1900 mhz whereas according afterburner my OC hits 2130-2150 mhz during max load with O8G oc.

At the same time my card struggles to get more than 8600 in memory OC with hynix.

Edit: Trying valley bench Extreme HD I got a max score of 4535 with +107/+691. I was able to up it to +122/+750 but no real improvement. Core clock peaks at 2152@1.081v and will not go further. Some people mentioned 1.093v but I have not seen my card running it in my testing. Also bumping CPU OC by 50 mhz seems to have improved score by a few hundred points.

Valley bench:
https://imgur.com/a/7oMmtjb
Sigmafia
Level 7
GB Aorus Gaming 7 wifi (Bios F8)
Ryzen 5 2600x
32GB GSkillz TridentZ Royal 3200Mhz CL14
2 x 1070 ROG Strix OC8 (in SLI)
970 Evo 500GB m.2 NVMe
870 Evo 500GB SSD
10TB HelioWhatever WD drive for backups
LG OLED C8 (for display)

I have recently stepped into the world of OC'ing my GPUs. Somehow upon loading up Tweak2 and Valley last night I toasted Windows10. I had the same 4.2 \ 3400 cl16 OC I had used for at least the 10 days (24/7) with no issues at all. I put the GPU on the recommended settings I found in this forum in the 1070 OC8 articles. BAM! crashed 4min into valley. started having boot problems like (10m of black screen after sign in). after some troubleshooting it got where it wouldn't boot at all without putting up with the 3-6 failed boot attempts first.

I gave up. formatted my drive. fresh copy of Windows10 and im back here to look for advice before I try again. I know you cant believe I am willing to try the GPU OC again after 18 hours of failed frustration. well I am just that stupid I suppose.

***Anyone have any idea why my 2 - GTX 1070 ROG OC's couldn't swing "Valley" with a 30Mgz GPU Boost Clock bump with a 1300Mhz Memory increase?***

One last thing to Note is that I recently discovered that the GPU powering my display (via HDMI) uses Samsung memory chips and the second GPU uses Micron. Would that be why I am having issues when trying to OC the SLI setup. Or maybe because it is SLI I cant expect the 2 OC edition ROG 1070's to run with the same overclock..? if that's the case, does anyone know of an alternative GPU program that will allow me to OC my two GPUs with different settings? from the little ive learned about how SLI works id imagine that is impossible.

thanks for taking time to read my novel above 🙂
Sigmafia
Level 7
I just tried it again with +20 boost clock \ + 480 memory \ power at 120 \ max voltage. I got avg of 140 FPS (208 max) and a score of 5460. does that sound about right. BTW I haven't applied my CPU or RAM OC yet. im still a little scared it will kill windows again.