cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080 - worst cooler ever!

JoergH
Level 7
Hi Asus,

i have no idear why you change from the beste VGA-Cooler on the marked (DC-II) to the worst cooler on the market (DC-III).

Yesterday i get 2 Strix 1080 OC cards, and to be hornest, that cooler is so bad, it is unbelivable that you release such a product!
This is not your first graficcard, you did them since many years!

So, what is the reason to release this cooler?

It is hot as hell, and - realy unbelivable loud. I mean, 70°C, 2000 RPM and i think i am in an plane!

I all so have my hand on a Aorus, which boosts higher and - suprise: nearly unhearable under full load!

I bought Asus-Graficcards since years, last gen i go for a GTX980Ti Matrix because you release this crappy cooler on your cards and the Matrix has the good DC-II.
But with this generation, you decide not to release a DC-II-Card... I mean, what do you think?!? Nobody will notice that the Strix-Cooler is the worst cooler on the marked?!? Do you think we are stupied?!?

Think about it, take it as feedback - and for the next cooler-release (because i think you dont know it):
- a cooler has to be "cool"
- a cooler has to be quite
DC-III did it the different way: "hot" and loud...

Asus, thats not a good way!*
21 REPLIES 21

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi.I have two 780 GTXs DC2 OC.I had temperatures about 80 degrees.When I switched to EK water blocks I have 40-45 degrees.If your PC is liquid cooled,try these blocks(for 1080),they are awesome.This will also make your cards to work longer.

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im running bitspower blocks and much cooler but didnt have an issue with the air cooled ones before, They were totally silent with little to no load and while getting a bit louder when spinning up under heavy load. 70C is not hot under heavy load for air cooling. Nvidia specs show it throttling at 94C. I never got to 70C on air , mine topped out around 65C on air and now idle 30C and heavy load less than 40C with water cooling.

Make sure you have adequate spacing between the cards in SLI as well as good case ventilation. These cards do not exhaust out the rear, they will fill your case with hot air and its up to you to remove it. The corsair 540 air does a very good job with graphics cards.

If you are unhappy return the card and buy the Aorus, which BTW does not have a higher boost speed and sorry but I have to call Bool sheet on silent air cooling or anywhere close to silent under heavy load. Even my water cooled system fans will spin up after a few minutes under heavy load. These cards are 180W each!

You would be taken more seriously and your words valued if you actually provided feedback with credible results showing your findings instead of insulting the manufacturer with conjecture.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

panzlock
Level 12
I don't know about the 1080 but my 1070 is the quietest component in my entire system. And so far, due to the types of games I play, has not reached 60C, yet. I still need to bench it and see how it performs so it will get warmer but under regular load I experience no issues. I did once set the fans to maximum thrust and yes...this card is VERY loud at 100% fan speed.

If you're getting 70C in SLI I wouldn't complain. I read people's experiences and some temps range between 85C and 90 C in such a configuration.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Chino
Level 15
Actually, the Strix GTX 1080 runs cooler than the Gigabyte card. Maybe you're getting high temperatures because the airflow inside your case is deficient. Do remember that you're running a SLI configuration which requires good airflow to keep the both graphics card as cool a possible.

Strix GTX 1080

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Aorus Xtreme Edition

Regarding noise, the Strix is only 2 dBA louder which should not be noticeable in real life usage. Whether the fans spin faster or slower depends on your ambient temperature and once again, the airflow inside your case.

Strix GTX 1080

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Aorus Xtreme Edition

Vlada011
Level 10
For me normal temperatures are up to 80C. 😄
75C is great if you ask me.
Strix have 3 models I think?
Model with highest clock arround 160MHz is probably hotter, but that's most interesting model.

I don't know how someone could complain on 70-75C temperatures. That's nothing for graphic cards.

teachmeluv
Level 7
This is not a feedback as this is just some angry and offending response to a technique which just has passed a lot of tests in magazines and websites which verified the silence of the whole cooling system.
In your case the problem must be somewhere else. I own the Strix 1070 OC Version and there is no sound until the GPU reaches 57 degrees. After that temperature the coolers start their work at around 40% and are not noticeable. Do you play without sound or how can you hear that all the time and compare it with the sound of an airplane (airplanes are around 120 db by the way).

If you are not happy return the card but for feedback be gentle and serious. DC-III worked on my Strix 960, Strix 970 so it does work on the Strix 1070.
Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger | i7 4790k cooled by Thermalright Macho Rev. B | 16 GB G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Asus Strix GTX 1070 O8G | be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550 | HDD 1: Sandisk SDSSDA 240 GB | HDD 2: Seagate 1 TB Hybrid

teachmeluv wrote:
This is not a feedback as this is just some angry and offending response to a technique which just has passed a lot of tests in magazines and websites which verified the silence of the whole cooling system.
In your case the problem must be somewhere else. I own the Strix 1070 OC Version and there is no sound until the GPU reaches 57 degrees. After that temperature the coolers start their work at around 40% and are not noticeable. Do you play without sound or how can you hear that all the time and compare it with the sound of an airplane (airplanes are around 120 db by the way).

If you are not happy return the card but for feedback be gentle and serious. DC-III worked on my Strix 960, Strix 970 so it does work on the Strix 1070.

sorry, but you have no clue what a good cooler is.
The dciii sucks als 9xx and all so sucks at 10xx.

I have 2 of them here, both are much much much louder under full load then a palit or a gigabyte (same pc, only change the gpu).

Gb and palit are nearly not noticable, only a little bit.
The asus is so loud under the exact same conditions, i have no idear how it is possible to defend such a piece of realy bad hardware...

When say full load, i mean the gpu, not the fan...
*And no, i am not a hater... i own the 780 and 980 (with dcii) from asus. Both are great cards with a super cooler .
But the dciii destroyes the asus-lineup complete, because it is a bad cooler*

teachmeluv
Level 7
That is not an objective feedback as it is just a matter of opinion.
Maybe your option should be a return and exchange to a different manufacturer as already mentioned. You even won't get any response from ASUS as the quality of cooling has been approved by a lot of people (mentioned that already either).
Asus ROG Maximus VII Ranger | i7 4790k cooled by Thermalright Macho Rev. B | 16 GB G.SKILL F3-1600C9D-16GXM
Asus Strix GTX 1070 O8G | be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550 | HDD 1: Sandisk SDSSDA 240 GB | HDD 2: Seagate 1 TB Hybrid

panzlock
Level 12
Just to provide further feedback, my 1070 is not very audible at 2000 RPM. I think he has a bad card.

It does, however, sound like a GE90 at full throttle. It's beautiful.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.