cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080 - worst cooler ever!

JoergH
Level 7
Hi Asus,

i have no idear why you change from the beste VGA-Cooler on the marked (DC-II) to the worst cooler on the market (DC-III).

Yesterday i get 2 Strix 1080 OC cards, and to be hornest, that cooler is so bad, it is unbelivable that you release such a product!
This is not your first graficcard, you did them since many years!

So, what is the reason to release this cooler?

It is hot as hell, and - realy unbelivable loud. I mean, 70°C, 2000 RPM and i think i am in an plane!

I all so have my hand on a Aorus, which boosts higher and - suprise: nearly unhearable under full load!

I bought Asus-Graficcards since years, last gen i go for a GTX980Ti Matrix because you release this crappy cooler on your cards and the Matrix has the good DC-II.
But with this generation, you decide not to release a DC-II-Card... I mean, what do you think?!? Nobody will notice that the Strix-Cooler is the worst cooler on the marked?!? Do you think we are stupied?!?

Think about it, take it as feedback - and for the next cooler-release (because i think you dont know it):
- a cooler has to be "cool"
- a cooler has to be quite
DC-III did it the different way: "hot" and loud...

Asus, thats not a good way!*
301 Views
21 REPLIES 21

JoergH
Level 7
Sorry, but you have no clue...
Sure, the cooler works - but it is much to loud...
And my cards are not broken, i have two of them.

The thing is very easy: everbody that say the Srix-DCIII-Cooler is good and quite, never saw a good and quite cooler - thats a fact.

And the fact, you can read in every professional forum (hwl+techup etc etc) - NOBODY there says that the DC-III is a good cooler. The opposite is the fact: They all tells you NOT to buy a card with a DC-III cooler...

But it seems that the way to the guys that never saw a good cooler is a bit longer - so what...

I wrote this posting for many other users who loved the DC-II - and i hope that anybody from Asus read it and think about it.

I have to agree, I had a GTX 560 with the DCII a few years ago, and it was much quieter than the GTX 1080 with the DCIII. The constant cycling of the fans at idle is also very annoying. Even at the lowest speed, the GPU fans are very noticeable.

JoergH
Level 7
Here you can hear the difference Asus Strix vs Inno3D (which has a middle-class-cooler): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_utspofsHI

The difference is big, and Inno3D has all so only a middle-class-cooler (which is louder then the GB oder Palit or Gainward)...

As you can see, die Asus has to run @2000 RPM to provide the same temps then the Inno3D does with 1500 RPM!
25% more fanspeed for the same temps!!!
And you want to tell me that the DCIII is a good cooler?!? I mean... rly?!?

The Asus-Cooler isnt capable to provide acceptable temps with 1500 RPM, and under full load, where the Inno3D goes to 1500 RPM, the DC-III goes to 2000 RPM at the same Temps!

JoergH wrote:
Here you can hear the difference Asus Strix vs Inno3D (which has a middle-class-cooler): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_utspofsHI

The difference is big, and Inno3D has all so only a middle-class-cooler (which is louder then the GB oder Palit or Gainward)...

As you can see, die Asus has to run @2000 RPM to provide the same temps then the Inno3D does with 1500 RPM!
25% more fanspeed for the same temps!!!
And you want to tell me that the DCIII is a good cooler?!? I mean... rly?!?

The Asus-Cooler isnt capable to provide acceptable temps with 1500 RPM, and under full load, where the Inno3D goes to 1500 RPM, the DC-III goes to 2000 RPM at the same Temps!


Undoubtedly some coolers are better than others. Inno3D has a batter cooler than ASUS. So why did you purchase the ASUS VGA's???

The DC III is a good cooler. But other AIB's may have better coolers, still.

If the Inno3D cooler provides the desired cooling at 1500RPM then I recommend you get the Inno3D branded VGA. Problem solved.

Again, inside my case the DC III cooling solution fans are barely audible. I enjoy noise, to be honest. The only reason I don't have the fans running at full throttle is to preserve their longevity. My temperatures are usually around 58C under load with the fans spinning around 38% or 1300RPM (more or less), and virtually silent. As you have indicated you have two Strix 1080's in your build running at 70C and 2000RPM. This is a great temperature in an SLI configuration which inevitably results in hotter temps considering the proximity of both VGA's.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

JoergH
Level 7
Because i like the rest of the Asus-Cards! They use very good components on there GPU's.
Very low coil-wine, stable power-Supply for the GPU.

I want Asus to thing about there coolers and give us the DC-II back!

Thats because i opened this thread...

The Asus-Cards are on there way back to the dealer. no way that i leave these in my PC*

JoergH wrote:
The Asus-Cards are on there way back to the dealer.

Hello

You seemed to have found a solution to this. As such the thread is now closed.

Kotronas
Level 9
You are kidding me right?!!!! How can you compare the coolers on 2 different cards??? As we don't see the clock nor the mv needed for that clock and the ram speed how can you compare them? Yeah both are stressed on a game but that has nothing to say for the card or cooler or fan speed.

You have a sli build and you should know better that even the same cards are behave different. Check the voltage of your cards and you will see for sure a difference and now take the card with the lower voltage and put on top slot for better performance or less noise do to fan speed.

Kotronas wrote:
You are kidding me right?!!!! How can you compare the coolers on 2 different cards??? As we don't see the clock nor the mv needed for that clock and the ram speed how can you compare them? Yeah both are stressed on a game but that has nothing to say for the card or cooler or fan speed.

You have a sli build and you should know better that even the same cards are behave different. Check the voltage of your cards and you will see for sure a difference and now take the card with the lower voltage and put on top slot for better performance or less noise do to fan speed.


That's another point which I neglected to bring up. That video you posted provides an idea between two cards decibel levels......but not their loads, settings and in game performance. You can't be sure what your witnessing is a fair comparison.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

JoergH
Level 7
Ok, i leave the thread as it is...

I tested 3 different models out of the box and fact is the asus cooler is a bad cooler.
I don't have an SLI, i want to use the cards in 2 computers...

But it doesn't make sense to discuss with some of you guys. I provide FACTS, i tested the cards BY MYSELF, and all i get is fanboy-blabla...

Sorry, this was intended to be a feedback to Asus, and thats what i leave it now.

If you think your DCIII is a good cooler, good for you... but compared to the marked, its one of the worst ones and any professional that tested the cards are on my side...
And if this isn't enough, watch the video...

Thats it for me, but thanks for pushing the thread up-and-up... maybe some Asus-Techicans reads this and they do a DCII GTX1080Ti!*

JoergH wrote:
Ok, i leave the thread as it is...

I tested 3 different models out of the box and fact is the asus cooler is a bad cooler.
I don't have an SLI, i want to use the cards in 2 computers...

But it doesn't make sense to discuss with some of you guys. I provide FACTS, i tested the cards BY MYSELF, and all i get is fanboy-blabla...

Sorry, this was intended to be a feedback to Asus, and thats what i leave it now.

If you think your DCIII is a good cooler, good for you... but compared to the marked, its one of the worst ones and any professional that tested the cards are on my side...
And if this isn't enough, watch the video...

Thats it for me, but thanks for pushing the thread up-and-up... maybe some Asus-Techicans reads this and they do a DCII GTX1080Ti!*


My Strix cooler seems to be operating as expected based on reviews.

Thanks for clearing up that you are in fact NOT running your 1080's in SLI. 70C is still pretty good. Maybe it's not your cooler, maybe it's the air flow inside your case. You need to get warm air out of it or everything will stay warmer than you'd like. DC III and competing AIB products dump heat into the case which then must be ejected by case fans. This could be your problem and why you're not attaining desired temps and subsequently, reduced noise.

No one is fan-boying the Strix. Even I admitted that it is in fact loud when the fan taps are open, but at 2000 RPM I'm not hearing what you described. And rarely at my ambient do the fans need to spool that fast given the games I play.

ASUS, I'm sure, will take your feedback under advisement. Their future cards will be equipped with more efficient coolers. Personally, ASUS wasn't my first choice, either, but when EVGA hit a snag I opted for the Strix and thus far, in terms of performance, aesthetics, noise and general features I'm happy with the product so no, I can't agree with you regarding DC III.

Testers also disagree with your assessment. Seems the cooler performs very much like the rest of them: http://hothardware.com/reviews/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-round-up-with-asus-evga-and-gigagyte?page=7

Again, that video you posted provides no vital details for comparison. Post a better example of your argument.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.