cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 1080 Ti problem

hermes1212
Level 7
Hello all,

First I want to say hello to community as it's my first time here. Week ago i decide to go with Asus Strix 1080 Ti upgrade, before I have own 980 Ti from Gigabyte.
My problem now is that card is have really bad coil whine issue she is really loud. Question is it worth it to RMA card? I never have issue like this and just not sure what to do. Place where i bought card told that it might take even 20 days for replacement. Please advise.
16 REPLIES 16

starsailor
Level 9
Hey Mate,

Can you make a video of the coil whine? Just run a game while putting your phone mic close to the card and alt tab in and out of game.
Here is mine;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYk9gEGJx4

I have both Gsync and Vsync on, Using Asus PG348Q ultrawide.
So no this is not related to high FPS as 100 FPS is nowhere near "high"
I used Rivatuner to cap fps to 98 problem still exists.

I think there are 2 type of coil whine;

1) Stable "hzzzzttt" noise that does not change pitch too much and occurs on high GPU load only, which i have.
2) Pitch changing extra annoying noise that occurs on high fps like 300+ fps. Most cards has this type of CW.

If i had the second type it would not be a problem for me as gysnc limits my max fps to 98 so i would never have it but unfortunately mine has the first type of whine and i cannot accept this as there are so many people without CW, i have a friend who has the same card and same PSU and its dead silent so i sent my card for RMA on 14.04, got RMA confirmation on 17.04 and they delivered the RMA Paper to me on 24.04, getting my new card today and fingers crossed.

Korth
Level 14
ASUS Strix 1080Ti Coil Whine

It seems ASUS will often (but not always) accept an RMA if the coil whine is really bad.

Replacing or upgrading your PSU and/or mobo can sometimes correct GPU coil whine. But it's completely hit or miss, even when swapping identical brand/model hardwares. Some people have reported success at fixing coil whine (on other GPU cards) with vibration damping (usually by applying epoxy/potting onto oscillating parts) or with electrical filters/upgrades - but such fixes are not always successful, can actually cause other issues, and modifying your card will void warranty.

You should document the coil whine (audio recording might be good enough, video showing multiple instances of different coil whine measurements/experiences would be better). And post it here so that's available to ASUS. Then ask ASUS whether or not it qualifies for RMA.

If the card is still completely new and you still have all the packaging/receipts/etc then you may be able to return or exchange it through your vendor (and not even have to pay restock/shipping penalties). In some countries (like Canada) consumer laws allow you to return any product for full refund for any reason ("I am dissatisfied with the product") within a short period.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks for response guys, I will try to upload video soon but i have some doubts. First I know how some games are no demanding but:
For Eve Online first card was making noise then it's stops
In Hitman 2016 it making a lot of noise
In Witcher 3 everything on Uber Nvidia hair works on it's still squeezing like hell, puting game limiter for 60 fps helps a little but still it's making noise
For Dawn of War 3 it's stays ok I can say.
And question if it is acting differently is it still problem for RMA?

Thanks for help

xeromist
That's not unusual for whine to vary with load and framerate. I think I've even heard of people having whine while in menus but it going away in-game. Menus are simple to render so they often see significantly different framerates than the game itself.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Just a heads up;

I got my replacement GPU today and yes it still whines but it is much much better than the first one and not audible when my side panel is closed unless i try to hear it. So yeah its pure luck, if you RMA it new one can have worse and plus you lose like 20 days to get your new card.

I suggest to keep it for some time, try to position your case in different places if thats an option, try undervolting/overvolting the card, if you have a friend with different psu try the card on his system etc.. and even after you do all these and after some time you still cant stand it go for RMA.

I got lucky with my RMA but i know now it could have been worse so wont RMA this unless the CW starts to get louder.

Btw i peeled the white "GEFORCE GTX" sticker on my card by mistake thinking it was a protective film as one corner of it was already lifted up and i have no idea if this will void my warranty, or considered "physical damage" .. Would be really ridiculous if it does..

I know i am not the only one as even Kitguru made the same mistake see below for detailed pic;

http://www.kitguru.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ASUS-GTX-1080-Ti-STRIX-Review-on-KitGuru-Detail-Br...

Asus really needs better solution than "stickers" on their top of the line products or better eyes to QC their products..

Hi, i have the same Problem with my new Strix 1080 TI. Ive got extrem coil Whine when i play diffrent Games, very Bad is World of Warcraft even when i switch between my Chars in the Chars Screen. I will try to RMA from my Reseller. 😞

Thrawn0502 wrote:
Hi, i have the same Problem with my new Strix 1080 TI. Ive got extrem coil Whine when i play diffrent Games, very Bad is World of Warcraft even when i switch between my Chars in the Chars Screen. I will try to RMA from my Reseller. 😞

I would not consider high fps coil whine as a good reason to rma personally, did you try turning on g-sync and v-sync?
On very high fps CW is normal (500+ FPS) but if your card whines when playing games (60 to 200fps) when its on load yeah go for RMA but the new one you get will probably be same, let us know when you get the new one.

Ghoster
Level 7
I was ready to buy 1080 ti stric oc, but I have been reading a massive complaints on coil whine.

I coming from a 980 ti strix which also have it, I am surprise asus haven't find a better method to at least try to minimize the horrible noise.

So I have few questions:

1. When we pay $800 for this card and find out it has horrible coil white, if we RMA to asus, will they send you a refurbished one or a completed new boxed one? .... most likely a refur.. since a lot coil whine returns?

2. Will be there like a revision " 02" anytime soon? perhaps with better handling for coil white problems? ( I know coil while most time is hard to avoid but with so many reports into the same card " asus 1080 ti strix oc" maybe they are investigating? ) any info on this?

3. Does anyone know when another bundle game will be out for this card? getting a card like this and not even a game included seems....

4. Is there at least 3 to 5 people that haven't get one without coil whine at all? reading all over the net and it seems 99% get the horrible coil whine!! any statement from asus?

5. Last question, does this forum finally has more responses? like from asus? because I remember this was like dead waters long ago. weird since asus is famous in gpus!

Thanks in advanced!!

Ghoster wrote:

4. Is there at least 3 to 5 people that haven't get one without coil whine at all? reading all over the net and it seems 99% get the horrible coil whine!! any statement from asus?

99 % get horrible coil whine? I think 99% of those who complain are the ones with the horrible coil whine.

I guess I'm one of the 3 who doesn't have coil whine.