cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, i was planning to buy me a 4090 strix early next year, but then i saw this.

Pleplerhep
Level 7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkjUtH4nIE
Jikes!
Soooo. Can we get a 4090 version with like 4 x 8pins enstead? Or is this one of those "skip this generation" scenario?
Le Plep
14 REPLIES 14

Soupladel
Level 10
Pleplerhep wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRkjUtH4nIE
Jikes!
Soooo. Can we get a 4090 version with like 4 x 8pins enstead? Or is this one of those "skip this generation" scenario?

Not to take anything away from Buildzoid, but wasn't this story already addressed by Nvidia in the sense that the melted cables thing was caused during testing under which very high current was applied, way more than the cables would ever get under normal use case?

Soupladel wrote:
Not to take anything away from Buildzoid, but wasn't this story already addressed by Nvidia in the sense that the melted cables thing was caused during testing under which very high current was applied, way more than the cables would ever get under normal use case?

Define "very high current". Like 1200watts? 1300watts? I mean i ran +650w trough my 1080ti FE flashed with kingpin and neither the 6pin,8pin nor the pci port melted, so i feel he has a point when he says the tolerances on the new port is worrying.

I mean Im eventually gonna "kingpin" the shi* out of my 4090 if i buy one, and i at max want it to kill itself not everything else around it.
Le Plep

Pleplerhep wrote:
Define "very high current". Like 1200watts? 1300watts? I mean i ran +650w trough my 1080ti FE flashed with kingpin and neither the 6pin,8pin nor the pci port melted, so i feel he has a point when he says the tolerances on the new port is worrying.

I mean Im eventually gonna "kingpin" the shi* out of my 4090 if i buy one, and i at max want it to kill itself not everything else around it.

You are quoting power, not current, the story i thought i read was about them passing high current like 30-40Amps along the cable in like a destruction testing scenario. My recollection of the story is so vague, but i dont think its the same thing as what the likes of Buildzoid are now referring to.

Although i am still sceptical of the claims being made, it seems there has been at least a second person sharing photos of a melty 12vhpwr cable, this time an Asus TUF OC 4090.

Soupladel wrote:
You are quoting power, not current, the story i thought i read was about them passing high current like 30-40Amps along the cable in like a destruction testing scenario. My recollection of the story is so vague, but i dont think its the same thing as what the likes of Buildzoid are now referring to.

Although i am still sceptical of the claims being made, it seems there has been at least a second person sharing photos of a melty 12vhpwr cable, this time an Asus TUF OC 4090.

40amps on 12v is only 480watts apparant power, so 120watts less than the cable is rated for, how is that high current again?
I'm using basic school math from like my eight grade electricity courses, so do correct me if im wrong or are missing something. Same reason i found no reason to use ampere since they are linked with wattage in this scenario, we know the voltage is 12v.
Le Plep

Pleplerhep wrote:
40amps on 12v is only 480watts apparant power, so 120watts less than the cable is rated for, how is that high current again?
I'm using basic school math from like my eight grade electricity courses, so do correct me if im wrong or are missing something. Same reason i found no reason to use ampere since they are linked with wattage in this scenario, we know the voltage is 12v.

Some of it is how the speaker/writer is using the term "high". Between engineers, "high" doesn't necessarily imply that it's beyond rating/design/safety specs, just that it's not small/low. It's a slightly ambiguous term, which some may use to mean beyond spec or overload, and others may use to mean significant or non-trivial. E.g. a heater might have a low and high switch, but high usually isn't overload in that context. In a home/domestic context, 40 amps is a fairly high current at any voltage. It's into the range where a bad or high resistance contact will start to generate significant heat. The heat generated across a contact/resistance point is P=I2R, so rapidly grows once the current is climbing well into the double digits across a high resistance joint/connection.

Murph_9000 wrote:
Some of it is how the speaker/writer is using the term "high". Between engineers, "high" doesn't necessarily imply that it's beyond rating/design/safety specs, just that it's not small/low. It's a slightly ambiguous term, which some may use to mean beyond spec or overload, and others may use to mean significant or non-trivial. E.g. a heater might have a low and high switch, but high usually isn't overload in that context. In a home/domestic context, 40 amps is a fairly high current at any voltage. It's into the range where a bad or high resistance contact will start to generate significant heat. The heat generated across a contact/resistance point is P=I2R, so rapidly grows once the current is climbing well into the double digits across a high resistance joint/connection.

Well that totally makes sense then that a smaller connector with smaller pins ect would be more prone to what the video shows, compared to multiple of the old 6 and 8 pins.
Taking that and the size of the 4090s and the room in 95% of cases i cant really see how they would find it a good idea using a connector that is so sensitive to external stresses, bending ect. There is no way i would be able to fit it in my current case anyways without some wild bending for sure.

So ASUS the the jig is up! Gimme a 4090 with 4x8pin enstead, ill pay +100dollars extra pr connector on top. Think it over.
Le Plep

Igor's lab has a proper in-depth analysis of the included Nvidia cable adapter. I wanted to buy an ASUS 4080 one myself soon, but this cable adapter is the only thing thats kinda holding me back (and i always had nvidia asus cards for over a decade), even the upcoming AMD cards has proper power connectors.

https://www.igorslab.de/en/adapter-of-the-gray-analyzed-nvidias-brand-hot-12vhpwr-adapter-with-built...

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
It's too early to say in all honesty.

Neither for nor against the findings, but it could be a one off, could be under specific circumstances outside of normal use.... keep watching the tech outlets cause we know full well if it happens several times GamersNexus, JaysTwoCents and a bunch of other key figures will document this and roast the hell out of any cards that have this issue.

You still have plenty of time before your window, keep watching.

Ragnaraz690 wrote:
It's too early to say in all honesty.

Neither for nor against the findings, but it could be a one off, could be under specific circumstances outside of normal use.... keep watching the tech outlets cause we know full well if it happens several times GamersNexus, JaysTwoCents and a bunch of other key figures will document this and roast the hell out of any cards that have this issue.

You still have plenty of time before your window, keep watching.

I would also add to this that it wouldn't be the first time in the history of the internet that someone has made up a story in order to get attention. (I am referring to the reddit OP and not buildzoid)