cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLI not working after Sound Card install.

New2Mod
Level 8
I hope I am in the right forum for this question, but I am sure someone will have an answer.

I installed the Asus Xonar Phoebus and lost SLI, can someone help me find it 🙂 .

Motherboard: Maximus V Extreme
Video card: 2x Asus GTX670-DC2-4GD5
BIOS Info: 1309 x64, version 10/05/2012 (if this needs updating please link me to step by step idiot proof instructions)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Phoebus

Video Cards are in slots 1 and 2b. I had to install the sound card in slot 4 rather than the PCIex4 slot until i get the water blocks on or it would block airflow to the video card in slot 2b.

Power cables checked. Cards properly seated. Fans working. Prior to sound card install SLI worked.

If I read correctly it should have seen the sound card as an x1 and adjusted slot 4 accordingly. Currently no option for SLI. BIOS shows slot 1 as x8, slots 2a, 2b, and 3 as empty, but does show slot 4 as x1.

BOIS options “force x16” disabled. All slots set to “auto” no idea what “Gen1”, “Gen2”, or “Gen3” mean so didn't mess with it.

Thank you for reading and any suggestions you may have.
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Slot 2B will be disabled if your inserted your sound card into slot 4. That's why you lost your SLI configuration.

thank you for the reply, can you offer any suggestions that will allow me to keep the sound card?

kkn
Level 14
look on this pic -> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?23735-Maximus-V-Formula-and-Extreme-Owners-Club&p=225959&vi...

thats whats recomended

try and stick it in the lill black slot on the board if it fits.
the one between slot 3 and 4.

Thank you both for your help. Unfortunately, using slot 3 with the stock graphic card in slot 2b is not an option. I will remove the sound card and reinstall it when the case I am building is complete and the water blocks can be installed.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do post up some pictures once you are done. Sadly the larger VGA coolers do make using all the slots a bit of a bother.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

carlitrosss6
Level 7
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever find the solution to this?

carlitrosss6 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but did you ever find the solution to this?

The solution is in post #2 🙂

"Slot 2B will be disabled if your inserted your sound card into slot 4. That's why you lost your SLI configuration."