cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Graphics Card Problem!

Kasius
Level 7
Hi, I would really appreciate any advice I can get with this, please bear with me.

I have an Nvidia GTX 970 running 2 monitors, everything's cool.
I am a 3d artist and use GPU rendering so I wanted to get a second graphics card to run my monitor so that the 970 can do all the GPU rendering. No SLI.
I installed a GTX 960 to run the monitors, and installed the drivers. On boot up the graphics card takes ages to kick in - everything is black until the windows password screen appears.
So I cant see the ROG screen to enter the BIOS, I can't see the "loading windows" screen, only once the "enter password" screen is ready then the monitor kicks in. I thought "I'll see to that later"
If i plug the monitors back into the 970 - no problems.

Other than that everything seemed ok, ran my monitors with the 960 and GPU rendering with the 970.
Recently updated my BIOS, didn't fix the problem.
My 3d application 3DS max became very laggy during a recent project. I switched back to running everything with the 970 and everything is smooth, even 3DS max start up is faster.
I tried uninstalling the GPU drivers, restarting the PC, and then installing the drivers again, still blank start up screen from the 960.

I then tested the card with the GPU renderer, it couldn't do it! Just a blank initilizing screen! The 960 should be able to handle these tasks no problem.
I dont know if its a faulty card or what, because it works, it runs the monitors, but it seems to be a weak link.
The last thing I will try is to swap the cards around on the motherboard, the 970 is in the 1st PCIE slot and the 960 is in the 3rd.

I would really appreciate the help on this one, and Im a bit of a noob so be patient with me.

Thanks

Here's my build:
Rampage V extreme
i75960x
16GB Kingston Predator Ram
Corsair RM 750 PSU
Nvidia GTX970 SSC
Nvidia GTX960 SSC
Windows 7 Pro
0 REPLIES 0