cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rtx 4090 crash - driver or hardware? .The description for Event ID 0 from source nvld

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi. I have 12900K stock

32 GB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Asus Tuf rtx 4090

1300W Seasonic Platinum Prime

Aorus Elite DDR4 Z690

Windows 11 2H22. Updated new nvidia drivers.

I swapped from 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming to Rtx 4090 . Never had single crash in games,apps on 3090 ti. All was perfectly stable.

I am gettin occassional crashing during loading games. Watch Dogs Legion ( happened 2 times ) and Metro Exodus EE. Never in game, but in loading . Happen from time to time. Is my card fine? I have Asus Tuf rtx 4090.

Here are always that 2 errors during crash:
2 errors.

1.display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

2.The description for Event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100

It happened on 3 versions of drivers i tried.
24 REPLIES 24

JamesK1 wrote:
Try setting your PCIe Slot to GEN3. It helped with my crashes after installing a 4080. GEN4 seems to be an issue with my mobo.

Cards with idle black screen problem and strange behavior are faulty.
No workaround, even the one you recommended, works.
I did RMA and with the refund received I got a new one that works perfectly with the same configuration and settings.
2600 euros of card and we have to go to trial and error to make it work as it should?

Andre221183 wrote:
Cards with idle black screen problem and strange behavior are faulty.
No workaround, even the one you recommended, works.
I did RMA and with the refund received I got a new one that works perfectly with the same configuration and settings.
2600 euros of card and we have to go to trial and error to make it work as it should?

No way its faulty about this error:

I have tested few differents GPUs since summer and all of them got this issue very random, GPUs was monted in different PC not same PC specs.

1) RTX 3080 516.94 10/08/22 god of war event id 0 \Device\Video3
2) RTX 3060 Ti 517.48 04/10/22 OCCT at the end of test event id 0 \Device\Video3
2) RTX 3090 522.25 27/10/22 port royal 3 hours loop event id 0 \Device\Video3
3) RTX 3080 new unit from RMA 527.56 15/12/22 destiny2 event id 0 \Device\Video3
4) RTX 4070 Ti 528.24 27/01/23 the division2 event id 0 \Device\Video3

As you can see there are 5 different GPUs that all of them at very random time got this issue, you can find also more people on different forums that tried to RMA the video card for being swayed by people saying the video card is faulty and still having the exact same problems as before with a new card

PS: The thing that it is working for you with the new card from RMA its just about the time to get this error again, or you did not even noticed because many times the driver not even fail, will just pop up this "event id 0" on windows event viewer but you cannot notice it if you dont search for it.

The drivers version of nvidia after 512.95 are faulty, all of them until now are faulty with this error, the 512.95 it is FREE of this error the latest known stable version.

BenchAndGames
Level 10
Check this I already reported this issue time ago, with proof that is shows what Im talkign about, i can trigger this "event id 0" \device\video3 whatever I want by simple steps

I already posted it on geforce forums but wanted to post it here also cuz I see NVIDIA REP are here aswell, so it can have more view.

It is recorded with an external camera because I am forcing crashing the nvidia driver, so like this will avoid losing any information.
All the new drivers, from the last few months are doing the same, the last known driver that is free of these errors is 512.95, all the others are experiencing these problems

Steps to reproduce the issue with OCCT

1) Run VRAM test with full memory capacity for only 1 minute
2) You can wait for test to end, or you can just force ending after few seconds

Steps to reproduce the issue with Enemies Unity Engine Tech Demo

1) Run the test and wait like 30 seconds
2) When you see the woman on the screen and that thing on the floor is opening up, then you press ESC
3) On the "Quality Preset" change this on Ultra or High then come back to medium
4) On "medium quality" is where apparently the test crash, and is throwing all those issues

The issue is "nvlddmkm" event id 0 \Device\Video3 always this error, bunch of them.

***I tested it with 4 different PCs with different components and different Nvidia cards like 3060Ti, 3080 and 3090. (now 4070 ti included)

Some games, totally random it will freeze and crash with this error, but as it is random, I cannot found for now how exactly can be reproduced this issue on games.
I can be after few minutes, or after 5 hours of playing, or 1 time per month but it will occur.

For people who think they don't have this error, go to the windows event viewer and search for "nvlddmkm" event id 0, to see if over the last few months it has given you the error but you haven't noticed .

527.56 YES nvlddmkm errors event id 0 \Device\Video3
https://youtu.be/F_uv06mvaX4

526.98 YES nvlddmkm errors event id 0 \Device\Video3
https://youtu.be/Cytgn6WJ1j4

512.95 NO nvlddmkm errors
https://youtu.be/RsamYuCwfVw

BenchAndGames wrote:
Check this I already reported this issue time ago, with proof that is shows what Im talkign about, i can trigger this "event id 0" \device\video3 whatever I want by simple steps

I already posted it on geforce forums but wanted to post it here also cuz I see NVIDIA REP are here aswell, so it can have more view.

It is recorded with an external camera because I am forcing crashing the nvidia driver, so like this will avoid losing any information.
All the new drivers, from the last few months are doing the same, the last known driver that is free of these errors is 512.95, all the others are experiencing these problems

Steps to reproduce the issue with OCCT

1) Run VRAM test with full memory capacity for only 1 minute
2) You can wait for test to end, or you can just force ending after few seconds

Steps to reproduce the issue with Enemies Unity Engine Tech Demo

1) Run the test and wait like 30 seconds
2) When you see the woman on the screen and that thing on the floor is opening up, then you press ESC
3) On the "Quality Preset" change this on Ultra or High then come back to medium
4) On "medium quality" is where apparently the test crash, and is throwing all those issues

The issue is "nvlddmkm" event id 0 \Device\Video3 always this error, bunch of them.

***I tested it with 4 different PCs with different components and different Nvidia cards like 3060Ti, 3080 and 3090. (now 4070 ti included)

Some games, totally random it will freeze and crash with this error, but as it is random, I cannot found for now how exactly can be reproduced this issue on games.
I can be after few minutes, or after 5 hours of playing, or 1 time per month but it will occur.

For people who think they don't have this error, go to the windows event viewer and search for "nvlddmkm" event id 0, to see if over the last few months it has given you the error but you haven't noticed .

527.56 YES nvlddmkm errors event id 0 \Device\Video3
https://youtu.be/F_uv06mvaX4

526.98 YES nvlddmkm errors event id 0 \Device\Video3
https://youtu.be/Cytgn6WJ1j4

512.95 NO nvlddmkm errors
https://youtu.be/RsamYuCwfVw

My 4090 Strix is still working perfectly fine.
Latest drivers installed.
I have no hidden nvlddmkm error in event viewer.
The only two present are due to the crash during the search for a stable overclock.
The steps you suggest to replicate the error switch the graphics card from maximum load to idle state.
At that moment the factory settings do not allow operational stability.
It is therefore a manufacturing defect since it is not due to any manual operation carried out by the owner.

Andre221183 wrote:
My 4090 Strix is still working perfectly fine.
Latest drivers installed.
I have no hidden nvlddmkm error in event viewer.
The only two present are due to the crash during the search for a stable overclock.
The steps you suggest to replicate the error switch the graphics card from maximum load to idle state.
At that moment the factory settings do not allow operational stability.
It is therefore a manufacturing defect since it is not due to any manual operation carried out by the owner.

I replaced one 4070Ti from MSI to a new 4070Ti TUF, and both have the same issue, /device/video3 event id 0

Now all thsi apart of all others GPUs that I tested in the last 6 months...

GGiuliano93
Level 8
Hello, i bought a 4090 fe a month a go. Worked like a charm until now, i was in discord call w/stream and playing a dx12 game. Suddenly my discord stream didn't work anymore, then all of my two screen got black screen for a second and got back. The game didn't crash, btw if i continued play i will get again black screen (it did 3 times then i reboot the pc).

Is a driver issue or my card is bad ?

I have a 13900k (stock)
32gb ddr5 7200mhz g skill
z790 apex
corsair hx 1200w

All on latest driver/bios/windows updates.

A screen of the error:

And the message:

Could not find description for event ID 0 from source nvlddmkm. The component that generated the event is not installed on the local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or restore the component on your local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the information for viewing was saved with the event.

The following information was saved with the event:

\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPU ID: 100

The message resource exists but the message was not found in the message table
0x80000000000000
System
PC
\Device\Video3
Error occurred on GPUID: 100
00000000020030000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

BissiJoy
Level 8

The Nvidia RTX 4090 is one of the most powerful graphics cards on the market, but like any piece of technology, it's not immune to issues. One of the most common issues with the RTX 4090 is crashes. These crashes can be caused by a number of different factors, including outdated drivers, overheating, and hardware issues. In this blog, we'll discuss some of the ways you can fix RTX 4090 crashes.

1. Update Your Drivers

The first thing you should do if you're experiencing RTX 4090 crashes is to make sure that your drivers are up to date. Nvidia releases regular driver updates that can improve performance and fix bugs. To update your drivers, go to the Nvidia website and download the latest driver for your graphics card.

1. Check Your Temperatures

Overheating can cause your RTX 4090 to crash. Check your temperatures using a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor. If your temperatures are consistently high, you may need to improve your cooling system. This could involve adding more fans to your case, upgrading your CPU cooler, or reapplying thermal paste to your graphics card.

1. Check Your Power Supply

If your RTX 4090 isn't getting enough power, it can also cause crashes. Make sure that your power supply is rated for your graphics card and that it's providing enough power. You can use a power supply calculator to determine how much power your system needs.

1. Check Your Cables

Loose or damaged cables can cause issues with your graphics card. Check that all of your cables are securely connected and that they're not damaged. If you're using adapters or extensions, make sure that they're rated for the amount of power that your graphics card requires.

1. Check Your Hardware

If none of the above fixes work, it's possible that you have a hardware issue with your graphics card. Check that your card is seated properly in the PCIe slot and that all of the power cables are connected. You can also try removing the card and reseating it. If you continue to experience issues, you may need to contact the manufacturer for support.

In conclusion, RTX 4090 crashes can be frustrating, but there are a number of ways to fix them. By updating your drivers, checking your temperatures, ensuring that you have enough power, checking your cables, and checking your hardware, you can troubleshoot and resolve most issues. If you continue to experience crashes after trying these fixes, it's best to contact the manufacturer for support.

bojerka
Level 9

Real question with nvlddmkm error is, what or where is problem?

Why GPU not responding to Windows calls and then must resetting drivers? GPU chip himself or card? It is nVidia problem or GPU card manufacturer problem? I had same problem after I close games or benchmark. I sent card to ASUS RMA and ASUS denied my RMA so they sent card back. But now I have this error only on first cold boot. No more after close game or benchmark. What did they really do? I have ROG STRIX OC version 4090 and they sent card back with switch set on SILET BIOS. That is solution? Why then I purchased OC version?

Hello,
You've almost answered your own question. If you switch back to the OC BIOS does the behaviour get worse? Might want to test this.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

bojerka
Level 9

Yes. On OC BIOS is card unstable. No every day, not in same situation but always do in the most inappropriate situation. Sometime 4-5 days it's quiet but on 6-7 day every cold boot monitor starts flickering or just black screen when Windows can't reset drivers and I must use hard reset.

Do you know this frustration if 5 days is normal and you think "wow problem is gone" and on sixth day problem is back. Sometime have so big anger on this card, that I want crack this card on half.